C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Check Engine Oil Level At Next Refueling" - WTF!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 03:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by CPD SLK
Since when should a brand new, had built motor be eating oil? I've got 4000 miles on the car...it shouldn't be slurping on oil like an old cutlass.

The dipstick indicates it's full. So is this message based on oil level or is it just an automatic, periodic message the ecm spits out?

Brand new engines are the worst for eating oil. Once its broken in, it should be better.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 GL550
Originally Posted by CPD SLK
Okay, so I've been getting this message for the past week or so, repeatedly. The first time I got it, I figured it was just a reminder by the **** ECM. So I checked my oil...and it appeared to be at an okay level and had good color to it (it was all thw way up to the second little red marker, which I believe indicated max fill level; although there is some third red plastic marker on the dipstick unliek any other mercedes...odd (can someone clear that up for me)?

I hit okay to clear out the message, but I still keep getting it. What gives??Is there another way I have to clear it? Is it a sensor problem or is it just a "complimentary" check your oil level light?

Please enlighten me, thanks!

Ameet

I have a 08 GL550 but my search brought me here.

No check engine oil light (yet) but the dipstick is wacked.

I checked the oil level with the engine cold and the oil line was clearly above the max fill line. This after the jagoffs at Volkswagen just did an oil change.

So I siphoned out about 3/4 of a quart.

Now when I check the dipstick, the oil line on half of the dipstick is past the max fill line and on the other half its about 3/4 of the way up. I'm going to go with the 3/4 reading.

I'm hoping that the 3/4 reading is accurate since I just removed close to a full quart.

I mean, how badly could they have screwed it up?
Old 11-21-2017, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Originally Posted by kensiko
I have a 08 GL550 but my search brought me here.

No check engine oil light (yet) but the dipstick is wacked.

I checked the oil level with the engine cold and the oil line was clearly above the max fill line. This after the jagoffs at Volkswagen just did an oil change.

So I siphoned out about 3/4 of a quart.

Now when I check the dipstick, the oil line on half of the dipstick is past the max fill line and on the other half its about 3/4 of the way up. I'm going to go with the 3/4 reading.

I'm hoping that the 3/4 reading is accurate since I just removed close to a full quart.

I mean, how badly could they have screwed it up?
Unfortunately the dipstick drags oil up the fill tube when you pull it out. When you reinsert it the oil gets back on the dipstick and can make it hard to read. If the oil level is lower on one side of the dipstick I take that as the actual level in the sump. Mostly I check it a few times just to assure myself I have the correct reading.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
I agree that checking the oil level in this car is a major PITA. My readings are always inconsistent, and it takes forever for the level to change when I add oil.
The following users liked this post:
ecmexchange (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Thirty years of owning these cars makes me agree with Maximus. Major pain.
What I do is pull the stick and have a half a cup of coffee before I put it back in. The theory is the oil in the tube drains back.
Then I put it in and pull it out slowly and usually it reads pretty well.
Never run out of oil on any car.
On this car I don't find it uses much oil but then I only drive about 15000 km a year.
I have only had to add oil once in the 18 months I have owned it.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 350 2009
I started getting the light too after an oil change at 20,000 miles. I have added oil to the maximum, drained it down to the minimum, and added oil back to the middle of the full region. The light keeps coming on regardless of the oil level. The light doesn't seem to be at all related to the oil level. From watching the temperature gauge it seems to come on about the time the thermostat opens. What is going on? My car is a 2009 SLK 350 with 22,000 miles.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Get your codes read by a dealer. I am not sure a generic code reader will do the job on the oil level sensor. Anyway I think you probably need a new oil level sensor.

Also try posting in the SLK forum and you might get more information specific to your car. Here is a link.

https://mbworld.org/forums/slk-class-r171-15/
Old 01-16-2018, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Mort
Get your codes read by a dealer. I am not sure a generic code reader will do the job on the oil level sensor. Anyway I think you probably need a new oil level sensor.

Also try posting in the SLK forum and you might get more information specific to your car. Here is a link.

https://mbworld.org/forums/slk-class-r171-15/
As Mort said get a dealer to check codes
Old 10-11-2018, 06:25 PM

Dodge charger hellcat
Originally Posted by gsrjc
Has anyone purchased Mobil 1 5w-40 from the dealership since our cars don't use 0w-40 anymore? what are people doing when the check engine oil level light comes on? I've been putting in the 0w-40 but i've only put in 1 quart and i have 3300 miles.
from what I see 0w40 still meets or exceeds European expectations. You probably want to use 0w40 in winter and 5w40 in summer.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:38 AM

600sel, ml320, Dodge ram 3500 customized, Dodge ram 1996 v-10 to Diesel conversion
Hi performance engines are machined with more piston to wall clearance, I used to machine them. The compression has nothing to do with burning oil, the rings have different jobs, the bottom ring is oil control, top ones are compression. Saying their engine never burned a drop is wrong, how would you check the oil so accurately? All engines use some oil, is harder to tell in some engines than others. Higher RPM burns more oil as it splashes more oil on the walls despite having windage trays. I have been in the automotive business over 50 years.
Old 05-20-2021, 05:10 PM

C63
I'm getting this message on my 507 after a long road trip. Thought I was running low on oil so added a quart.

Message showed up again and dipstick showed level slightly above minimum. Added another quart.
Now oil level reads at max level on a cold check.

But I still get this message after 20min of driving -- any thoughts?

I have a service coming up if that makes any difference
Old 06-27-2021, 04:52 AM

C63 507 edition coupe
Originally Posted by petezelk
I'm getting this message on my 507 after a long road trip. Thought I was running low on oil so added a quart.

Message showed up again and dipstick showed level slightly above minimum. Added another quart.
Now oil level reads at max level on a cold check.

But I still get this message after 20min of driving -- any thoughts?

I have a service coming up if that makes any difference
same exact issue on the same exact car, any updates? Im about to sell my 507, I hope this isnt the start of something expensive.
Old 06-27-2021, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 689 Likes on 469 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
Originally Posted by Rik Dawg
same exact issue on the same exact car, any updates? Im about to sell my 507, I hope this isnt the start of something expensive.
There are only really 2 things that can happen if you are loosing that much oil from the engine and it isn't just the oil sensor failing and the dipstick is still showing full, then the oil is going somewhere.

1. It is leaking out, either on the ground, under-shield or valve cover is leaking and burning off on the exhaust manifolds, either way you should either smell it or see it.
2. The PCV is failed and allowing oil to be sucked into the intake and is then burning off in the combustion cycle, PCV isn't great even when working, so pretty common to find a lot of oil in these cars in the intake as the PCV fails over time, eventually bad for your cats - cheap part, not the easiest to get to (better than any Audi though) but easiest to take the intake out to get to it, but some people have managed it with the intake in the car.