ECU tune question, need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
ECU tune question, need help

Please help with some advice re ModernHorsePower. I recall some pretty critical posts about the company and dont really recall what the drama was. The reason i ask is that I am planning to get an ECU flash for my ML63 (posting here because i dont think anyone on ML63 forum knows much about MHP). From all the research i have done they seem to provide the most incremental horsepower and torque gain of any ECU flash, nearly triple the HP and nearly double the torque (although Evosport comes much closer than other competitors in the torque department, they seem to be much lower than MHP in incremental HP gain).

While MHP only quote numbers for C63 on their website they do claim that other AMG models would achieve even higher numbers because of less restrictive exhaust. The only caveat is that most companies do not say whether the gain is what is achieved at the crank or at the wheels so I am not sure if i am comparing apples with apples.

Can anyone comment on MHP in this context?
Old 04-26-2009, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
All advertised gains are at the crank to make the improvement look as strong as possible and manufacturers only state crank numbers anyway(451). DadsC63 has more experience with MHP so try a pm to Keith. Your ML may have more HP than a C63 after tuning but the incremental gain will be much smaller as your vehicle already has 500+ .

Can anyone comment on MHP in this context?[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Maverick1975;3489000]Please help with some advice re ModernHorsePower. I recall some pretty critical posts about the company and dont really recall what the drama was. The reason i ask is that I am planning to get an ECU flash for my ML63 (posting here because i dont think anyone on ML63 forum knows much about MHP). From all the research i have done they seem to provide the most incremental horsepower and torque gain of any ECU flash, nearly triple the HP and nearly double the torque (although Evosport comes much closer than other competitors in the torque department, they seem to be much lower than MHP in incremental HP gain).

While MHP only quote numbers for C63 on their website they do claim that other AMG models would achieve even higher numbers because of less restrictive exhaust. The only caveat is that most companies do not say whether the gain is what is achieved at the crank or at the wheels so I am not sure if i am comparing apples with apples.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
im getting something from MHP tuesday a updated flash, ill let you know what i make as far as power.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Sport & Rs6
Have you thought about Renntech or Kleemann....Either way you go, you will have a bigger smile on your face when you hit the gas! Numbers are numbers......I would like to see 4 C63, with 4 tunes, against eachother! NOW were talking!!! Have you broken down the price/hp?
Old 04-27-2009, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Audi RS7
Adam,
I completely agree and already offered to do that. The only two that responded were MKB and MHP. I got the new tune from MKB and it puts the most power to the wheels so far. MHP is sending their new tune and we'll be trying that with the L/T headers. None of the other tuners wanted any part of a side by side comparison. Not sure why but thats the facts. Let me know if you hear any different. I will help any way I can.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Might be a dumb question, but what does the ECU tune do for your warranty?
Old 04-27-2009, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anything W/4Wheels
Originally Posted by drawde
Might be a dumb question, but what does the ECU tune do for your warranty?
void void void if the dealer don't like u

Trending Topics

Old 04-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E350 Sport & Rs6
Originally Posted by Dads C63
Adam,
I completely agree and already offered to do that. The only two that responded were MKB and MHP. I got the new tune from MKB and it puts the most power to the wheels so far. MHP is sending their new tune and we'll be trying that with the L/T headers. None of the other tuners wanted any part of a side by side comparison. Not sure why but thats the facts. Let me know if you hear any different. I will help any way I can.
You know, DFW could handle this! I have taken note of like 15+ C63 in my neighborhood and I doubt they are on here.....If you want to create a thread "again" asking if anyone would do it. I will supply the Kleemann and Renntech tunes at a discount for the test!!! Who's in..........

Mav. Sorry to hi-jack your thread?- I understand they HP/TQ numbers are important to you.....NOT GETTING TECHNICAL..... but a stronger than stock tune, is a STRONGER than stock tune!!! I would love to see the less expensive tune vs the more expensive tune on the street!

I bet most people would be amazed......

Last edited by Autoscope; 04-27-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anything W/4Wheels
Originally Posted by Adam@Autoscope
You know, DFW could handle this! I have taken note of like 15+ C63 in my neighborhood and I doubt they are on here.....If you want to create a thread "again" asking if anyone would do it. I will supply the Kleemann and Renntech tunes at a discount for the test!!! Who's in..........

Mav. Sorry to hi-jack your thread?- I understand they HP/TQ numbers are important to you.....NOT GETTING TECHNICAL..... but a stronger than stock tune, is a STRONGER than stock tune!!! I would love to see the less expensive tune vs the more expensive tune on the street!

I bet most people would be amazed......
Adam u 100% I had the less expensive tune in my car and dint do anything good I'm not GANNA get into this about which tuner I had but I'm deff more then happy with MHP even do it's More Money it work like a charm.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Audi RS7
Drawde/mthis,
It depends on the dealership. The one here is okay and VERY cool about it.

Adam,
I am up for whatever. I have the MKB package currently on the car. I believe to be fair you must have different cars with their best set up. I say this because trying to put a Kleeman or Renntech tune in a car with MKB headers and no rear cats may not be their optimal set up. These cars need to have their best tune and set up. I know you want real world results but a dyno will be the only way to compare. If not, the drivers abillity will come into play along with tire and wheel combo's, etc... The dyno is the only true comparison you are going to get. I enjoy drag racing and will run anyone that wants to but thats not always fair. Lets work it out if we can.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anything W/4Wheels
Drawde/mthis,

Adam,
I am up for whatever. I have the MKB package currently on the car. I believe to be fair you must have different cars with their best set up. I say this because trying to put a Kleeman or Renntech tune in a car with MKB headers and no rear cats may not be their optimal set up. These cars need to have their best tune and set up. I know you want real world results but a dyno will be the only way to compare. If not, the drivers abillity will come into play along with tire and wheel combo's, etc... The dyno is the only true comparison you are going to get. I enjoy drag racing and will run anyone that wants to but thats not always fair. Lets work it out if we can.
I have 2 track by me. Atco and Englishtown
Stock at Englishtown I ran a 12.5 the best at 113mph
Mhp tune I ran a 12.0 at 116 mph.
=.5 that's half a sec

Atco stock I ran a 12.1 At 115mhp
Mhp tune dint make it there yet but soon I will so I'm guessing like 11.6 at 118 mhp

Dadc63. U are 100% rite about track and tires as u can see my results they diff by HALF SEC
Old 04-28-2009, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Drawde/mthis,
Does it matter what dealer I bought it from? I haven't asked yet, but if they don't approve, can't I get my car serviced where ever I want? Can I take it somewhere that doesn't care?
Old 04-28-2009, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 C63
Usually dealers aren't gonna wanna screw you like that with the warrenty cuz lets face it....they want you back there buying their cars. If they told you to f-off then you'll probably think twice of buying a car from that dealer.
Plus it'll also help if every car in your house is a merc and you bought it from the same guy
Old 04-30-2009, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
I asked my service guy, and to put it plainly he said should any issues arise, it is up to MBUSA and not the dealership specifically. Is this true?
Old 04-30-2009, 11:08 AM

'09 C63
Isn't the tune pretty much undetectable by the dealership? They have to actually read the ecu to know it's there and unless you have problems with your ECU, I doubt they'll be checking it IF they can even read it. My local dealership is also a Renntech dealer so I doubt they'll have any problems with that anyways.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:04 PM

C63, Scuderia, 599, 16M, AEV Hemi Jeep, '57 Porsche Speedster, '55 300SL, SLS on order
Just watch they don't reflash your ECU (ie upgrade to the next version) - its all over if they do that (Tho I know Kleeman will reflash it for you, it is just a pain in the a$$)
Old 04-30-2009, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Unless it's a problem caused by the ECU tune they will not care, they get paid to do warranty work just like non-warranty work. Even if it was caused by the tune unless you put them through hell trying to diagnose the issue when the ECU has been modded I don't think they will care either.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:13 PM

'09 C63
I know my friend has an e46 M3 and the company that did his ecu flash gave him a series of free flashes in case he has to do any updates or has to get ecu back to stock for any reason.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
If I do decide to get an ECU tune done, would it be advisable to have a spare ECU to switch to before going in for service? Or is this unnecessary?
Old 05-01-2009, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
can't I get my car serviced where ever I want? Can I take it somewhere that doesn't care?
bump
Old 05-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E350 Sport & Rs6
If I do decide to get an ECU tune done, would it be advisable to have a spare ECU to switch to before going in for service? Or is this unnecessary?
Make sure you become good friends with your dealers service team..... Trust me.....If your window switch fails, they can't blame your ECU Tune for it.........Ask many questions, ask exactly what they will be doing to your car while it's in service.

Nothing mechanically should break, RIGHT, so there shouldn't be any reason why they would look at the ECU.......I am pretty sure they can't read it anyways.
bump
Correct, your warranty is covered by all MB Dealers!