Sponsored by:

I sent my ECU to Kleemann..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck
Martymar, who is your servicing dealer in the LA area?

I just talked to my SA last week about this and while he didn't say it would void the warranty he said "I wouldn't do it, why do you need more power?" ...and here I thought he was an enthusiast too.

Not to insult you or anything or be a jerk, but just because someone wants more power doesn't mean their a enthusiast. You wouldn't call those hilly billies driving around in 1000 hp mustangs with stock suspension enthusiasts, would you?
Old 07-04-2009, 03:15 PM

C63
Does anyone know what kind of job is required for the K2 - exhaust manifold and downpipe installation? I read somewhere that there is some cutting and welding required, is this a difficult job?

Also, where exactly is the exhaust manifold? Is it underneath the car or does the mechanic have to take some things out of the engine bay when installing this?

Lastly, can someone tell how many miles a car should have before doing this type of modification? I haven't yet broken in my car, but would it be safe to do shortly after break-in (1000 miles)?
Old 07-04-2009, 03:18 PM

C63
Originally Posted by DTMCLK
From the K official website

http://www.kleemann.dk/Performance/Engines/AMG63.aspx#

63-K1: A sophisticated new ECU software. Up to 535 HP and 650 Nm (481 lb-ft) of torque.

63-K2: K1 + a set of high flow exhaust manifolds and downpipes with steel sport catalysts. Up to 560 HP and 700Nm (519lb-ft) of torque.

ok correct me if im wrong, so does everyone actually getting the official figure after the tunning? or others are talking about actual HP on the wheel?

Aren't those numbers for the general AMG 63 engine? So up to 560 hp would probably apply to the already more powerful 510-520 hp higher entry AMG 63 engine models I assume.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:49 PM

'09 C63
All 63s have the same engime so peak power should be the same. Now if they would have said 30hp gain, that would have been a different story, with the c gaining the most power since it's the most detuned car of all the 63s.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:01 PM

2010 Arctic White AMG C63
Originally Posted by lyotomachida
Does anyone know what kind of job is required for the K2 - exhaust manifold and downpipe installation? I read somewhere that there is some cutting and welding required, is this a difficult job?

Also, where exactly is the exhaust manifold? Is it underneath the car or does the mechanic have to take some things out of the engine bay when installing this?

Lastly, can someone tell how many miles a car should have before doing this type of modification? I haven't yet broken in my car, but would it be safe to do shortly after break-in (1000 miles)?

Do you even know what an exhaust manifold is? It comes off the exhaust ports of the cylinder head on both the driver and passenger side of the engine compartment. You can probably access it from the bottom of the car but it ISN'T "underneath the car", that wouldnt make sense...

It's about midway down the from the engine's intake manifold...

Try searching, you can do this at any time after break in, but most notice a bigger difference on cars with more miles.

Mike

Last edited by CRAZYC63; 07-05-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:27 PM

C63
Originally Posted by CRAZYC63

Do you even know what an exhaust manifold is? It comes off the exhaust ports of the cylinder head on both the driver and passenger side of the engine compartment. You can probably access it from the bottom of the car but it ISN'T "underneath the car", that wouldnt make sense...

It's about midway down the from the engine's intake manifold...

Try searching, you can do this at any time after break in, but most notice a bigger difference on cars with more miles.

Mike

Obviously I do not know what a exhaust manifold is hence my question.

So the engine has to be taken out when installing this mod? I would be a little concerned letting a non Mercedes tech take the engine out of my car, is this a relatively easy installation?
Old 07-06-2009, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG(sold), 2009 CL550, 2010 S550 Majestic Black, 2010 ML550, 2006 C230, 2009 Venza
DAM IT i cant wait to do mine hopefully this upcoming week or the next one!
Old 07-06-2009, 12:13 PM

2010 Arctic White AMG C63
Originally Posted by lyotomachida
Obviously I do not know what a exhaust manifold is hence my question.

So the engine has to be taken out when installing this mod? I would be a little concerned letting a non Mercedes tech take the engine out of my car, is this a relatively easy installation?
Exhaust Manifold = Header

^^^ They are the same thing, just different terms ^^^

Have you heard of a header or know what that is? Most people know one term but not the other, like I said they're the same thing, "header" is primarily an American muscle-car term.

Short Tube Exhaust Manifold (the stock style, Kleemann, Renntech, VRP, etc):

Long Tube Exhaust Manifold (Aftermarket):

Like i said it should be accessible from the bottom of the car. At least it is on my other cars, 2 of which I have changed the exhaust manifold (headers) out on. It's not easy per say, but it's not extremely difficult, again at least it wasn't on my other cars. They shouldn't have to take the engine out, or jack it up off the mounts...

Mike
Old 07-06-2009, 03:46 PM

C63
Originally Posted by CRAZYC63
Exhaust Manifold = Header

^^^ They are the same thing, just different terms ^^^

Have you heard of a header or know what that is? Most people know one term but not the other, like I said they're the same thing, "header" is primarily an American muscle-car term.

Short Tube Exhaust Manifold (the stock style, Kleemann, Renntech, VRP, etc):

Long Tube Exhaust Manifold (Aftermarket):

Like i said it should be accessible from the bottom of the car. At least it is on my other cars, 2 of which I have changed the exhaust manifold (headers) out on. It's not easy per say, but it's not extremely difficult, again at least it wasn't on my other cars. They shouldn't have to take the engine out, or jack it up off the mounts...

Mike

Awesome. So I assume the headers/exhaust manifold is the starting point or connecting point from the engine to the exhaust?

Do you know how long it usually takes to perform a header install? Evosport quotes 11 hours labor I believe for header intstallation which would amount to around 1000 bucks, is this really the installation cost for headers?

Can anyone chime in on if this work can be done from the bottom for the C63?
Old 07-06-2009, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
$600-$700 for installation of shorts... possibly more for the LT's if fitment requires more time. Some motor/compartments require that the engine be lifted on one side to get the pipes into place but I don't think it is an issue for the C63.