Sponsored by:

Looking to modify but need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver 2009 C63 AMG
Looking to modify but need advice

I am looking to modify my 09 C63 and wanted to get some non-biased input. I have spoken with various company reps and visited websites and I can't help but feel like the info I get is biased. I'm considering ECU, headers, exhaust, etc. to unleash the potential this engine has in other AMG 63 models. I am not looking to make it a race car and I will probably never break the 150 mph mark. But I would like to increase the acceleration and throttle response, but not at the sake of reliability. The dealership I bought the car from will do Kleeman or Renntech and has verbally said they will honor the warranty. However, I have noticed significant price differences between the two. Money and power increase is not the issue so much as reliability. The claims each company makes are close enough for me to where I most likely would not notice a difference. I am concerned most about reliability regardless of price. Also, I am a huge fan of the factory exhaust sound and very leery of changing it for the worse. What I don't want is a super loud, raspy exhaust that says look at me. I certainly don't mind changing the exhaust if the change is not noticeable or for the better. A quality,throatier, deeper exhaust note would be fantastic, but like I said, I don't want the overkill exhaust note or to drown out my tunes or everyday conversation. Any unbiased advise you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated. And I do NOT want this to turn into a Renntech vs Kleeman trash talking bout, please! I am not much of an auto/technical savvy guy and I have no affiliations to any brand or company... Just a true AMG fan that loves to drive his car and wants to see what it can do without tearing it up!
Old 05-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E350 Sport & Rs6
Congrats on the C63, they are lots of FUN!

1. Have you heard your car from the outside? The factory exhaust is very loud outside....If you just want some more acceleration and throttle response, then the ECU would be the wiser buy.
2. I think you will be amazed with the ECU upgrade alone and you can always cut off the resonators to spark the TONE later down the road!
3. I will let other members chime in on there opinions between the 2 tunes! We sell them both and we never have negative feedback!
4. Either way you go, you will be happy!

Let me know If I can help in any way and we have great prices!

-Adam
Old 05-04-2009, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Start with an ECU tune AFTER you have driven the car a few months so that you have a feel for the difference. Both companies deliver what they promise but Kleemann has a big edge in price. Do not let anyone talk you into removing the resonator or secondary cats unless you want a loud obnoxious sound that scares women and small children. But I have to say it is a lot of fun watching the reaction!
Old 05-04-2009, 08:45 PM

Silver 2009 C63 AMG
Thanks

Renntech posts their ECU prices on the website but I have not seen Kleeman's. What is the price difference and exactly what is the difference in what I am paying for with the two companies? It almost seems as if I'm purchasing the exact same thing but at two very different prices? Any ideas as to why the price difference? I have driven the car since last fall and I absolutely love it. Will I even notice a difference in performance with the headers and/or exhaust? And lastly, how would you guys describe the difference in sound between factory and upgraded exhausts? Thanks again for all the input!
Old 05-04-2009, 09:04 PM

2009 C63 K1
Kleeman is $1495.00 for ECU tune or slightly higher if you have it done by dealer or other shop. Cory @ Kleeman can assist you with any information that you need. I know a couple of guys who went with Kleeman, they are very satisfied. I am going with Kleeman because it is $2000 less and virtually the same results as Renntech. Kleeman is very well known in Europe and has been around a long time.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Almost a Member!

C63
Hello, I was asking the same question the last week, go with Kleemann, for now I am going to do the ECU and air filters only...
Old 05-04-2009, 10:50 PM

09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Adam@Autoscope
Congrats on the C63, they are lots of FUN!

1. Have you heard your car from the outside? The factory exhaust is very loud outside....If you just want some more acceleration and throttle response, then the ECU would be the wiser buy.
2. I think you will be amazed with the ECU upgrade alone and you can always cut off the resonators to spark the TONE later down the road!
3. I will let other members chime in on there opinions between the 2 tunes! We sell them both and we never have negative feedback!
4. Either way you go, you will be happy!

Let me know If I can help in any way and we have great prices!

-Adam
Does removing the resonators void warranty??

You do NOT need exhaust on this car, it will sound ridiculously loud if you do, there was a video posted by revozport I believe with a prototype version of their exhaust for a C63 and it sounded ridiculous (not in a good way)
Old 05-04-2009, 10:55 PM

09' C63 AMG
Wow I am shocked that everyone is saying to go with Kleemann... Are the results really that similar to the Renntech tune? I am about to do the Renntech tune with Adam from Autoscope but I don’t know why but I just have this hesitant feeling inside of me. These comments that I have read above are really not helping with my decision...

Should I save a couple bucks and just do Kleemann, or as others would say, just "do it right" by spending a little more dough on the Renntech?? AHHH I’m losing my F'in mind!!! Someone please help me.....
Old 05-04-2009, 10:55 PM

09' C63 AMG
Wow I am shocked that everyone is saying to go with Kleemann... Are the results really that similar to the Renntech tune? I am about to do the Renntech tune with Adam from Autoscope but I don’t know why but I just have this hesitant feeling inside of me. These comments that I have read above are really not helping with my decision...

Should I save a couple bucks and just do Kleemann, or as others would say, just "do it right" by spending a little more dough on the Renntech?? AHHH I’m losing my F'in mind!!! Someone please help me.....
Old 05-04-2009, 11:08 PM

Silver 2009 C63 AMG
Differential

I do not have the performance package with the limited slip differential. Is this going to hold me back when I do the mods?

Haven't heard much about the optional air filters either. How much will that help?

And does the factory exhaust limit the potential much at all?

Like I said earlier, my goal is not to hit 190 mph, but I would LOVE to hit 60 mph in less than 4 secs. Better yet, I'd like to surprise something like a CTS-V sometime at a stop light. What's my best bet to reach this goal as far as mods go?

Im in the same boat with the decision issues... Why is Renntech so much more expensive? Is there any validity to the higher prices? If there is, I would greatly appreciate any objective justification. I certainly appreciate all the input on Kleeman and I have no doubt their product is phenominal, but does anybody out there have any first hand knowledge or experience with the Renntech mods? I'm not ******* Kleeman in the least, and I will most likely go with them unless someone can sell me on Renntech. However, I spent enough on the car to want nothing but the best for it.

Thanks again!
Old 05-04-2009, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
My vote is Kleemann + better grip (Tires not LSD). Without traction you will never get under 4 seconds. Deal with the exhaust later if you still feel the need.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:19 PM

09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jmaults
I do not have the performance package with the limited slip differential. Is this going to hold me back when I do the mods?

Haven't heard much about the optional air filters either. How much will that help?

And does the factory exhaust limit the potential much at all?

Like I said earlier, my goal is not to hit 190 mph, but I would LOVE to hit 60 mph in less than 4 secs. Better yet, I'd like to surprise something like a CTS-V sometime at a stop light. What's my best bet to reach this goal as far as mods go?

Im in the same boat with the decision issues... Why is Renntech so much more expensive? Is there any validity to the higher prices? If there is, I would greatly appreciate any objective justification. I certainly appreciate all the input on Kleeman and I have no doubt their product is phenominal, but does anybody out there have any first hand knowledge or experience with the Renntech mods? I'm not ******* Kleeman in the least, and I will most likely go with them unless someone can sell me on Renntech. However, I spent enough on the car to want nothing but the best for it.

Thanks again!
I feel the same way about wanting nothing but the best, but also I don’t want to just pay more money for the same thing and get ripped off for a name... I started a thread called "ECU summary" try looking at that and doing some searches... Here are two helpful website which give very helpful performance numbers for each tune...

HP & TQ Comparisons:
https://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-B...no-Sheets.html

1/4 Mile Times/Speed and 0-60 Comparisons:
http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...ag-Racing.html

Hope that helps...

Not having the PP package will not hold you back at all when modding, the
ECU alone will remove the top end limiter... The only other thing the PP does is better/stiffer suspension, LSD, suede steering wheel, and upgraded brake disks... These things may help while driving the car, but it will not hinder performance while tuning if you don’t have them. I strongly recommend an aftermarket LSD if you don’t have the Performance Package.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:25 PM

Silver 2009 C63 AMG
I'm open to suggestions on tires too? The P-Zero's are let's just say less than ideal for grip and longevity.

Are the 19" wheels any wider to allow a wider tire with better grip?
Old 05-04-2009, 11:29 PM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
Not the AMG 19" wheels, they are still 9" wide. However I did increase tire width to 265 in the rears, and it is possible to go up to 275 (depending on which tire imo). Some tires run wide, so 275 might be pushing it depending on which brand/make you go with.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:44 PM

Silver 2009 C63 AMG
How do the 265's look?

What about tire brand? To get a better grip am I going to have to go to a tire with poor wet weather performance and poor longevity? How do you feel about the Michelin Pilot Sports?

The links you posted show strong #'s for MHP, what is the general opinion of them?
And lastly, what type of LSD would you recommend and at what point in the mod process would you add it?

Seems the ECU,air filters and headers is a good place to start?

Thank you for your time and I TRULY appreciate all the helpful info!!! I would probably have spent way too much on the guy with the flashiest website or ad without all these helpful tips!
Old 05-05-2009, 12:15 AM

Silver 2009 C63 AMG
Ok so I read some of the previous threads and realized I have asked the most repetitive question in the forum. My apologies for not doing my homework and I appreciate all the help. Looks like it is a coin toss from here. Perhaps Renntech is best for me, simply because I have a good relationship with the dealership here and they are a Renntech dealer. Not to mention they are one of the largest dealerships around and might be more apt to provide the best customer service for future business purposes. Thanks again!