Sponsored by:

C63 aftermarket audio?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09' C63 AMG
Hahahahaha

Seriously this isn’t a F'in Honda civic or some ricer! I actually love systems... depending on the car, I had a 8k system in my G35 coupe...

IF you add a head unit to this car and dismantle your dash board you are a FOOL... You will completely destroy the car, and IF you have the command system you will absolutely destroy that as well.... This car is not MEANT for that crap at all...

If you really want a system, get some quality interior speakers (MB quart IMO) and ALL you would need is one JL W7 10in or two 8in subs and that thing will BUMP! Do NOT underestimate the power of the W7's. After you get all of that, then you NEED is an amp for the interior speakers if you want them to have sufficient power with no battery problems, and an amp for the JL W7.

So a quick recap… all you really need is 10 speakers (I think there is 10 in the car...) One JL W7 10in Sub, and Two JL amps... DO NOT get a head unit! Believe me the system I just listed above will sound amazing and will be top quality... If you don’t want to get the MB Quarts since they are expensive there are MANY other quality interior speakers out there along with amps... But from personal experience with 2 past cars with systems above 8k each, DEF get the JL W7's! I actually prefer the two 8in set up better than the one 10in set up but it will be more expensive.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'08 C63 AMG (turned in for lease)
Originally Posted by DaGS1800
MB Quart Speakers are the best on the market... and the best subwoofers are JL W7's
Lol, W7's that has a 70 pound magnet in it, unless you're seriously into rap music just getting one of these in our small car would be redic. I have two JL W3 10's, thats just enough bump for me.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
Hahahahaha

Seriously this isn’t a F'in Honda civic or some ricer! I actually love systems... depending on the car, I had a 8k system in my G35 coupe...

IF you add a head unit to this car and dismantle your dash board you are a FOOL... You will completely destroy the car, and IF you have the command system you will absolutely destroy that as well.... This car is not MEANT for that crap at all...

If you really want a system, get some quality interior speakers (MB quart IMO) and ALL you would need is one JL W7 10in or two 8in subs and that thing will BUMP! Do NOT underestimate the power of the W7's. After you get all of that, then you NEED is an amp for the interior speakers if you want them to have sufficient power with no battery problems, and an amp for the JL W7.

So a quick recap… all you really need is 10 speakers (I think there is 10 in the car...) One JL W7 10in Sub, and Two JL amps... DO NOT get a head unit! Believe me the system I just listed above will sound amazing and will be top quality... If you don’t want to get the MB Quarts since they are expensive there are MANY other quality interior speakers out there along with amps... But from personal experience with 2 past cars with systems above 8k each, DEF get the JL W7's! I actually prefer the two 8in set up better than the one 10in set up but it will be more expensive.
Not truly disagreeing with you, but just as a counterpoint.... Personally, I hated the pop-up screen. This goes to personal aesthetics. I much preferred the dash integrated units on every other MB out there, and most Non-C class owner will agree on this as well. I know a lot of people get dazzled by the movement of screen as it comes up, but I prefer a clean smooth dash top without breaks. Honestly though, there are head units that blow away by far the existing OEM setup. The nav is very limited and it's a joke that you can't get live traffic on it as opposed to UMI kit. No VIM unless you go with Midcity mod. And don't even think it's good enough to support a high end speaker system. With a good shop, it can be integrated to look even better than original or the fuzzy pics posted prior.

With that said, I'll be upgrading to MB Quart setup with JL subs, then consider if I will or will not install a new head unit. I'm digging the new Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT (https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...avigation.html), but we'll see.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:40 PM

2009 C63 AMG
I agree that the Harmon Kardon system is real good, but could be better.

How much better would some of the aftermarket options (MB quarts and JL subs) be over the Harmon Kardon sound/speakers? Would it be worth the investment in the aftermarket stuff?
Old 07-06-2009, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
^^ depends on how much of an audiophile you are. Most will not notice any difference going HK to MBQuart (or similar level), but most would notice a difference going from base setup to MBQuart (or similar level).
Old 07-07-2009, 02:05 AM

E30 M3
MB Quart Speakers are the best on the market... and the best subwoofers are JL W7's
Hah! There's almost no truth to this statement whatsoever.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com

Get your learn on! Don't pay for a name, and ONLY a name. I can think of a few "off" brands that outperform MBQ (which is crap nowadays) for literally 1/3rd the cost. JL Audio's subs are up there though, I'll agree with that *somewhat*

:: EDIT :: If it was me, I'd wait for the JBL MS-8 Processor to hit the stores, pick that up, add a JL W6v2, and keep my stock system intact. The MS-8's basically an Auto Tuner, as well as amplifier that can help take your system to amazing SQ levels... Just check out the Spring Break Nationals BMW 330 that won the SQ contest with a stock system + 2 JBL Subs... No changes to the stock Headunit/iDrive were made.

Last edited by arrogantt; 07-07-2009 at 02:09 AM. Reason: added last paragraph
Old 07-07-2009, 02:27 AM

'09 C63
I love non mainstream brands in car audio. There are a lot of them that have better quality and performance than comparable mainstream brands for less price. TO name a few, Resonant Engineering, Fi, Hertz, CDT, Focal, Image Dynamics. Then you have the super high end, audiophile with big price tags but you get nothing but the best like Rainbow and Morel. JL is hugely overpriced and overhyped. MBquartz quality has gone down since they got bought a couple of years ago, they still make some good bits and pieces but nothing like the abvove mentioned.

just my 2cents
Old 07-07-2009, 02:45 AM

E30 M3
Originally Posted by Rodz
I love non mainstream brands in car audio. There are a lot of them that have better quality and performance than comparable mainstream brands for less price. TO name a few, Resonant Engineering, Fi, Hertz, CDT, Focal, Image Dynamics. Then you have the super high end, audiophile with big price tags but you get nothing but the best like Rainbow and Morel. JL is hugely overpriced and overhyped. MBquartz quality has gone down since they got bought a couple of years ago, they still make some good bits and pieces but nothing like the abvove mentioned.

just my 2cents
+1 on Fi ('specially the Q), Hertz, Focal & Image Dynamics... I'll even throw Seas up there, but it starts to creep up toward that MBQ pricing. Me personally... Huge ScanSpeak fan... My ear can't beat 'em for the money!