Sponsored by:

Foglight Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Iridium Silver C63
Foglight Replacement

I need to replace my broken foglight. Dealer insists the whole front bumber cover must come off at a cost of 2+ hrs of labor. You F***ing kidding me? 2hrs of labor to replace a foglight? Did a search of the site and found a few of you have replaced them without having to do all that work. Might not be the recommended way to replace them but as long as no damage is done doing it this way, I'm willing to give it a try myself. I've located the two small bolts and plastic fasteners one user was talking about but how do you pull those fasteners off without breaking them? Thanks
Old 06-17-2009, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Azn_300 has replaced his fog lamps, the procedure could be the same for your C63.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
M5, C63, 335Ci
I just replaced mine. Took less than 1 hour total and that included putting the wheel back on the car and closing things up to drive and get the new one.
  1. Jack up the car to allow removal of wheel on side of broken light. (Use jack stand to support it under the suspension)
  2. Remove the wheel
  3. Remove the three plastic pop fasteners along the inside front edge of the fender liner.
  4. Unscrew the 3 plastic nuts holding the fender liner in place. (One up top, two on inside area toward engine bay)
  5. Go under front of car and remove 1 plastic pop fastener and two or three bolts that hold lower part of panel/wheel well liner.
  6. Slide the whole wheel well liner back into wheel well and you will be able to see and access the fog light.
  7. Light is held in with 5 torx bolts (T15 I think)
  8. Remove the bolts, unplug light and remove.
  9. Plug wiring harness into new light, insert into opening and bolt in place with the 4 torx screws.
  10. Slide wheel well liner / bottom panel back into place and put all bolts & pop fasteners back in place.
  11. Reinstall wheel, lower car, torque lugs and you're done.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
M5, C63, 335Ci
The small fasteners come out by lifting the center section up with a small flat blade screwdriver and then pulling it up all the way to release the outer section. (It's OK if the center piece comes all the way out, you'll just insert it again when you reinstall.) The outer section should pull out relatively easily once the inner part is out or fully raised up.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:32 PM

AMG C63, Merc C230, Audi A3
Originally Posted by qship5
He's not replacing the bulb, but the entire fog light unit due to a cracked lens. Your method is OK for a bulb change, but will be difficult to replace the entire light unit.
Yeah, I realize that and deleted my post. You're faster to reply
Old 06-17-2009, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
Originally Posted by tanktube67
Azn_300 has replaced his fog lamps, the procedure could be the same for your C63.
Different setup, wouldn't be the same.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:15 PM

2009 C63 AMG, 2013 ML350 BlueTec, 2012 VW GLI
Soooo easy, took 5 minutes each side. No jack either.

Drive up onto a sidewalk or in my case, my driveway slopes upward so I put the car as far up onto the threshold of the garage door as possible lifting the front end high enough for me to do the work.

You have to remove 2 metal bolts and 1 plastic clip.

This is the cover which is directly below each fog.

Bend the cover out of the way and now you should be able to see the fog. (you should be on your back, of course)

There's one little plastic zip cord to cut to get the whole bulb assembly to come right out of the bottom. The rest is easy. Just stick your hand up there and turn it loose then pull it out. Change the bulb and repeat in reverse but you don't need to replace the zip cord (fastener).

That's it. Took me 10 minutes for both, I swear.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:46 PM

2009 Iridium Silver C63
Thanks morro, I will give it a try tomorrow. I had the seen the cover you're talking about and even showed it to the MB technician but he insisted (not surprisingly) that the entire bumper cover needs to come off. Good thing I didn't give in. I'll try your procedure and hopefully save myself $200.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:03 PM

2009 Iridium Silver C63
WOW! I want to find out who the genius MB engineer who designed the right foglight assembly and give him an award for the most complicated replacement procedure ever. No wonder MB insists on pulling the front end off. I manage to replace it but it took me about 3+hrs trying to figure out how to remove the screws that held the unit to the bumper cover since two of them are right behind the oil cooler. I toyed around with dropping the oil cooler but it wouldn't clear all the way down. Dropping the bumper cover is not an option unless you have a rivet remover and a rivet gun to put it back together afterwards. I finally pulled the chrome plastic housing from the outside and was able to turn the screws from the opposite end using needle nose pliers. I swear that's the only way those screws come off unless you have 3yr old hands that can contort into unhuman angles. That engineer must be getting kickbacks from MB maintenance....
Old 09-26-2009, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
This begs the question - has anyone bought any lamin-x or plastic cover to put over the foglight to prevent them from breaking? Can you get this at a local hardware store and just cut to fit?
Old 09-27-2009, 12:48 PM

C63, Scuderia, 599, 16M, AEV Hemi Jeep, '57 Porsche Speedster, '55 300SL, SLS on order
Originally Posted by Morro
Soooo easy, took 5 minutes each side. No jack either.

Drive up onto a sidewalk or in my case, my driveway slopes upward so I put the car as far up onto the threshold of the garage door as possible lifting the front end high enough for me to do the work.

You have to remove 2 metal bolts and 1 plastic clip.

This is the cover which is directly below each fog.

Bend the cover out of the way and now you should be able to see the fog. (you should be on your back, of course)

There's one little plastic zip cord to cut to get the whole bulb assembly to come right out of the bottom. The rest is easy. Just stick your hand up there and turn it loose then pull it out. Change the bulb and repeat in reverse but you don't need to replace the zip cord (fastener).

That's it. Took me 10 minutes for both, I swear.
Same for me - took me approx 10 minutes
Old 09-27-2009, 02:47 PM

2009 Iridium Silver C63
Originally Posted by Deeroff
Same for me - took me approx 10 minutes
You guys must just be replacing the bulb itself. Yes, that would take 10 minutes if that's all you're doing but if you have to replace the entire assembly due to a broken lense, I don't see how that can be done in 10 minutes. There are four screws that hold the assemby to the bumper cover. The ones on the right side can be reached with long torx screw driver or an allen wrench with some creativity but the ones on left side are 2-3 inches behind the oil cooler with about 3 inches of clearance behind them. How'd you guys remove those that fast? Maybe I'm missing something.....Maybe the driver's side one isn't too crowded since the oil cooler is not there to block access to the screws, haven't checked.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:07 AM

2009 C63 AMG, 2013 ML350 BlueTec, 2012 VW GLI
You're right EROD. The whole assembly, I'm sorry to say, is a much bigger job.