Sponsored by:

What the )*#$*!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09' C63 AMG (Gisele)
What the )*#$*!!!

So my car decided to out of no where begin rocking back and forth.. the Engine began shaking erratically, and the car would barely move! The mufflers began spitting water like substance.. I swear if this was a human, I'd be pretty sure she was poisoned!

I called Roadside Assistance and they put her on a flat bed, I sat in the truck with the tow dude, we dropped the car off at the dealership, and thanks to Canada Day, I have to wait till thursday to have someone look at my car! Ahhhh.. has anyone else experience this? This is so out of blue!

A bit scared, I have to say. What is the general census? What do we think is the issue?
Old 07-01-2009, 05:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche, Cadillac
Did you recently gas up or did someone have access to the car? Sounds like bad fuel to me... My car had the same symptoms.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:30 AM

2012 E63 PP, 2012 Ferrari 458, 2012 Boxster S
Excessive exhaust smoke? If yes what color? Thick white or blueish?

My CLS63 recently blew its injectors and the symptoms were more or less the same. My exhaust smoke was thick white resulting from the injectors shooting too much gas and drowning the engine. The mechanic later told me that blueish smoke would have been an indication of bad quality fuel.

Good luck with the diagnosis and speedy recovery of your car (baby)

Ken
Old 07-01-2009, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
blue smoke is oil burning not bad fuel. white smoke would indicate excessive water or coolant in the combustion chamber
Old 07-02-2009, 02:05 AM

09' C63 AMG (Gisele)
Originally Posted by QuadBenz
Did you recently gas up or did someone have access to the car? Sounds like bad fuel to me... My car had the same symptoms.
Yes this problem happened about 10 or 15 minutes after I put gas in the car. But I always go to the same gas station where they have 94 Octane gas. I have been gassing up at Sunoco for a very long time and have never had this issue.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:08 AM

09' C63 AMG (Gisele)
Originally Posted by KEMA
Excessive exhaust smoke? If yes what color? Thick white or blueish?

My CLS63 recently blew its injectors and the symptoms were more or less the same. My exhaust smoke was thick white resulting from the injectors shooting too much gas and drowning the engine. The mechanic later told me that blueish smoke would have been an indication of bad quality fuel.

Good luck with the diagnosis and speedy recovery of your car (baby)

Ken
No smoke was coming out of the exhaust or the engine bay.. water like substances were coming out however. It is as though one side of the engine is being killed to work those pistons up and down.. Thank you so much for the help though!
Old 07-02-2009, 03:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
You prolly had bad gas from the station..
Old 07-02-2009, 05:13 AM

09' C63 AMG (Gisele)
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
You prolly had bad gas from the station..
What defines bad gas?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
^^ lower octane, mixed with diesel, mixed with water
Old 07-02-2009, 11:52 AM

09' C63 AMG (Gisele)
Originally Posted by arctichaze
^^ lower octane, mixed with diesel, mixed with water
If that is the case.. what are my options in terms of dealing with the gas station/company? do we have any rights as consumers?
Old 07-02-2009, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by mrtesting
If that is the case.. what are my options in terms of dealing with the gas station/company? do we have any rights as consumers?
Wow, sorry to hear about your car trouble. I think the first thing you'll have to do is to verify that the cause of the problem is indeed due to some kind of improper mixture of fuel with other liquids such as water or diesel fuel.

If your car was affected because you filled up at a certain pump from a certain Sunoco gas station, you certainly won't be the only one to have suffered from this problem. I'm sure that if your service department can verify that the cause of the problem is indeed an improper mixture of gasoline and other liquids, then you won't be the only one paying a visit to that gas station with a (major) complaint.

Good luck with the repairs and let us know what happens.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you're the only one complaining to the gas station about this, nothing. If there's a lot of other unhappy customers complaining then the gas station will take care of it. In my case, I was the only one, so I had to pay out of pocket to get the car fixed. I'll go dig up my paperwork so I can tell you what had to be replaced.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Basically, my options were that I had to have them replace everything or they could drain the fuel system and add fresh gas but then my warranty would be voided (which sounds like total BS to me even to this day, but anyways..) so I picked the other option. Here's a summary of the issue as on dealer's paperwork: "WATER IN FUEL TANK. FOUND WATER CONTAMINATION IN FUEL SYSTEM. CORRECTION WAS TO DRAIN GAS, REMOVE AND REPLACE FUEL PUMP AND FILTER WITH INTEGRATED PRESSURE REGULATOR. REFUEL GAS TANK."
So the cause was "WATER CONTAMINATION IN FUEL SYSTEM."
Here's what else it says: "FOUND CRANK NO START. CHECK AND FOUND TO HAVE SPARK, CHECK COMPRESSION, FOUND TO BE OK. CHECK FUEL PRESSURE, FOUND PRESSURE TO BE OK."
For repairs: (btw, don't use these part numbers) I see "171-470-06-90 VALVE which was $96.30 and also "221-470-59-94 FUEL PUMP which was $395.90. Labor was $1500 :stomp: and they charged $235 to have the car towed in. Total with tax came out to $2339.81. I hope your dealer doesn't rape you as badly as they did me.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:18 PM

C63
Basically, my options were that I had to have them replace everything or they could drain the fuel system and add fresh gas but then my warranty would be voided (which sounds like total BS to me even to this day, but anyways..) so I picked the other option. Here's a summary of the issue as on dealer's paperwork: "WATER IN FUEL TANK. FOUND WATER CONTAMINATION IN FUEL SYSTEM. CORRECTION WAS TO DRAIN GAS, REMOVE AND REPLACE FUEL PUMP AND FILTER WITH INTEGRATED PRESSURE REGULATOR. REFUEL GAS TANK."
So the cause was "WATER CONTAMINATION IN FUEL SYSTEM."
Here's what else it says: "FOUND CRANK NO START. CHECK AND FOUND TO HAVE SPARK, CHECK COMPRESSION, FOUND TO BE OK. CHECK FUEL PRESSURE, FOUND PRESSURE TO BE OK."
For repairs: (btw, don't use these part numbers) I see "171-470-06-90 VALVE which was $96.30 and also "221-470-59-94 FUEL PUMP which was $395.90. Labor was $1500 :stomp: and they charged $235 to have the car towed in. Total with tax came out to $2339.81. I hope your dealer doesn't rape you as badly as they did me.

Wtf!! That's BS, why can't you sue the dealership?

I stopped getting receipts from gas stations a while back but now I will start saving them.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Although the bad gas suggestion does make sense, the fact that you've been using that same station for many years and never had any problems make it very suspicious I'm very interested on what the diagnosis reveals....
Old 07-02-2009, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 C63
Originally Posted by lyotomachida

I stopped getting receipts from gas stations a while back but now I will start saving them.
Yea if the dealers claim that the problem was due in fact to the gas make sure you don't throw the reciept away if you got one and hopefully you can win some money back. Good luck with your car.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sue the dealer for what?

Yea if the dealers claim that the problem was due in fact to the gas make sure you don't throw the reciept away if you got one and hopefully you can win some money back. Good luck with your car.
I did have the receipt and believe me, I did go after the gas station but unfortunately, I was the only one with the complaint and I too was going to that station for a while, so it wasn't just a random location. Either way, this was at least over a year ago. Not much to do now.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:35 PM

C63
Sue the dealer for what?

I did have the receipt and believe me, I did go after the gas station but unfortunately, I was the only one with the complaint and I too was going to that station for a while, so it wasn't just a random location. Either way, this was at least over a year ago. Not much to do now.

I meant sue the gas station.

That's retarded, I would never stop if I got bad gas in my car from some gas station and messed up my car.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I meant sue the gas station.

That's retarded, I would never stop if I got bad gas in my car from some gas station and messed up my car.
If damages were worse, I wouldn't have either, but the car is fine (now at least). It was basically just the fuel pump. If it had somehow damaged the engine...
Old 07-02-2009, 05:51 PM

09' C63 AMG (Gisele)
Well first of all, I have to thank all of you! You guys are amazing and awesome help all the time! Gotta love the people on this forum!

So I just picked up the car and this is what the Diagnosis said:

"INTAKE SOLNIOD RIGHT BANK INOP/STICKING HOOKED UP TESTER FOUND FAULT CODES 0629/0633/0641/0645/1207/0640/0653 MISFIRE FAULTS AND RIGHT INTAKE CAM SENSOR SOLNOID DIAGNOSED AND PREFORMED CLEARING OF FAULTS RESTARTED ENGINE FOUND ONLY FAULT REOCCURRED 1207 INTAKE CAM SOLNIOD RIGHT BANK PERFORM FUNCTION TEST NO RESPONSE DETERMINE SOLNIOD INTERNAL PRESSURE FAILURE REPLACED RIGHT INTAKE SOLNIOD AND CLEARED FAULTS PREFORMED FUNCTION TEST OPERATION OK TEST DROVE AND RECHECKED NO FAULTS OK"

There are a lot of spelling and grammar mistakes on this piece of paper, and I corrected as much as I could. As for the issue, based on what fixed the problem, I am going to assume it wasn't the fuel. I just cannot understand why the Solenoid Valve would get stuck out of no where!!?!

Anyone else experience the same issue?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Well first of all, I have to thank all of you! You guys are amazing and awesome help all the time! Gotta love the people on this forum!

So I just picked up the car and this is what the Diagnosis said:

"INTAKE SOLNIOD RIGHT BANK INOP/STICKING HOOKED UP TESTER FOUND FAULT CODES 0629/0633/0641/0645/1207/0640/0653 MISFIRE FAULTS AND RIGHT INTAKE CAM SENSOR SOLNOID DIAGNOSED AND PREFORMED CLEARING OF FAULTS RESTARTED ENGINE FOUND ONLY FAULT REOCCURRED 1207 INTAKE CAM SOLNIOD RIGHT BANK PERFORM FUNCTION TEST NO RESPONSE DETERMINE SOLNIOD INTERNAL PRESSURE FAILURE REPLACED RIGHT INTAKE SOLNIOD AND CLEARED FAULTS PREFORMED FUNCTION TEST OPERATION OK TEST DROVE AND RECHECKED NO FAULTS OK"

There are a lot of spelling and grammar mistakes on this piece of paper, and I corrected as much as I could. As for the issue, based on what fixed the problem, I am going to assume it wasn't the fuel. I just cannot understand why the Solenoid Valve would get stuck out of no where!!?!

Anyone else experience the same issue?
I've had coil packs that failed on the Audi's V8 engine before, and that can cause the misfires and shaking that you experienced with your car. Not sure if the two problems are comparable though.

Glad your car's alright!
Old 07-02-2009, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
that is why you got warranty for Gisele. Glad it's nothing serious.