Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking noise coming from engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 C55 AMG
Hey guys - thanks for all this info. Ive started my C55 AMG this morning with very similar sound like this "click". I drive my car every morning and it is almost summer here so it has nothing to do with cold starts. Sound came from the passengers side of the engine - definitely from the side from cylinder/valve area. Ive tried revs and sound came after them - I was worried to drive the car so I took Lexus and spent whole day on forums and sites.

I think it was sound of hydraulic lifters.

I came back this afternoon, tried engine again. The clicking noise went off after cca 15 seconds. It was like on/off switch. And this should be too associated with lifters. (I hope)

I know its C55 but I think these problems could be pretty same on our Mercs.

Last edited by xsmoke; 05-10-2011 at 12:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
C5DRVR (05-19-2017)
Old 09-24-2011, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Merc-Skycap
VMX128 next time it starts doing that, open the hood and check to see if it's coming from where I circled in Red in the picture below. I am not an AMG tech but when I had taken mine in for a similar issue I was told to try to locate the ticking/clicking. If clicking increased or decreased by throttle and the clicking were to be coming from the circled area below, it could be a problem. However, if the clicking stays the same regardless of throttle use, it's normal and will likely go away as it did with mine.

Hope this helps a bit.
What specific component are you circling? ABS?