Sponsored by:

Clicking noise coming from engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Clicking noise coming from engine

I started the car today and started to hear this clicking noise coming from the engine. The noise is definitely coming from the engine because when I press the gas pedal the noise accelerates with the engine. The noise seems to be much more clear in a closed area like a garage. I can't hear it that well in a open area, but there is definitely some noise there. The only thing I can think of that I did was that I may have turned the ignition (key) to start for too short of a time, but I doubt that was what caused this noise.

I had this happen once before but the noise went away fairly quickly as I drove the car. This time the noise went away after I drove for a very short time as well. But I am worried because there is definitely a noise that shouldn't be there.

Is this normal, anyone else had this happen?

The videos below were taken just a few minutes apart and yet there is definitely a noise in the first video. The one with the clicking sound was made as soon as I started the car and the second video after I drove for maybe 5-10 minutes.

Here is the video of the clicking noise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00feps36jV4

And video of normal engine sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPhzuyVyFH0

Last edited by lyotomachida; 07-17-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 C63
Benzes usually click. Mine does, my mom's does, and my dad's does as well. LOL
The clicking on my mom's S class clicks a lot more than my car, she was told by the dealer that they can cut down the noise so it's not that loud but the noise doesn't affect anything. If you want maybe call your dealer to see if they can cut the noise back. The noise goes away after your car warms up though.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:53 PM

C63
Originally Posted by Jae Duk
Benzes usually click. Mine does, my mom's does, and my dad's does as well. LOL
The clicking on my mom's S class clicks a lot more than my car, she was told by the dealer that they can cut down the noise so it's not that loud but the noise doesn't affect anything. If you want maybe call your dealer to see if they can cut the noise back. The noise goes away after your car warms up though.

Did you watch my videos?

You get the same noise as in my first video (clicking)?
Old 07-17-2009, 11:56 PM

2009 C63
I noticed the same thing just the other day. I started the car up in the garage and opened my door to retrieve my sun glasses from the other car and heard this "terrible" clicking sound. So naturally now, I check each time I start the car, What I can tell you is that it is louder when the car sits for longer periods of time. The first time I noticed it was after the car had sat in the garage for 3-4 days, it was annoying and quite a bit louder than most recently.
The clicking disappears after a few minutes of driving.
I will mention it to the service tech when I get my Service A maintenance done lin a few weeks.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63
Yes my car makes that clicking sound. If you search around a lotta of owners have this problem too. Yours just clicked louder....dealers can MAYBE quiet it down but it goes away after your engine warms up.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
Have you just topped up the engine oil? sometimes that noise is a result of overfilling engine oil.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:40 PM

C63 AMG 2009
After starting my car today 3-22-2010, I have the same exact sound coming out of my 2009 C63 (8800 miles) as "lyotomachida" who posted the youtube video. Thank you for posting the excellent video because it makes people like me feel better that we are talking about the exact same problem with our similar cars.

It is currently sunny and 47 degrees where I live in a suburb outside Chicago. I have not started my C63 since last week. I have kept my car in my unheated detached garage since December last year. During this first winter, I have warmed up the car every week and hear a slight clicking sound (not as loud as "lyotomachida's" car) on the driver's side of the engine each time I start it and leave it in the garage without driving.

I visit my car dealer (Motorwerks of Barrington IL) quite often (to get oil topped off, differential fluid change, air in tires etc..) and the service manager tells me that the slight clicking sound is normal. However, this afternoon, when warming up the car in 47 degree weather, I heard a much louder clicking sound out of the passenger side of the engine just like "lyotomachida". This is why I am checking these forums.

When it gets warmer outside, I will take the car to my dealer to get an oil change (the dealer recommends changing it at 10K but I will get it changed much sooner. The oil change is 100.00 or 90.00 (depending on who you ask). You can change the oil yourself but need an oil pump and Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil. Don't forget that the car burns oil when driving at high speeds and needs to be topped off. I know this because I have been to two different Mercedes Dealers who have confirmed this and topped off my oil when the car tells me I need to check the oil at the net fueling. Perhaps this is a factor that may cause clicking (i.e. low oil level due to aggressive driving which burns the oil in this type of engine).

I will post another reply to this forum indicating whether getting an oil change helps the clicking sound go away.

One thing I recall my dealer mentioning, is that they use different weight of Mobil 1 synthetic oil (depending on winter or summer). I believe they mentioned 0W-30 and another weight but can't remember the other (0W-40???).

Just an FYI...
Last summer I owned a new black 2008 CL-65 AMG BiTurbo (1 of 20 in the U.S.A. and 40 in the world) and it already needed an oil pump replaced (after 2,000 miles) due to a funny sound coming from the engine. I traded that car back to Motorwerks and got my C63 back because it felt like a better fit for me.

Hope this helps...Squirrel

Trending Topics

Old 03-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Banned

09 CLK550
i have the same sound! no biggie
Old 03-22-2010, 04:04 PM

2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
Originally Posted by lyotomachida
I started the car today and started to hear this clicking noise coming from the engine. The noise is definitely coming from the engine because when I press the gas pedal the noise accelerates with the engine. The noise seems to be much more clear in a closed area like a garage. I can't hear it that well in a open area, but there is definitely some noise there. The only thing I can think of that I did was that I may have turned the ignition (key) to start for too short of a time, but I doubt that was what caused this noise.

I had this happen once before but the noise went away fairly quickly as I drove the car. This time the noise went away after I drove for a very short time as well. But I am worried because there is definitely a noise that shouldn't be there.

Is this normal, anyone else had this happen?

The videos below were taken just a few minutes apart and yet there is definitely a noise in the first video. The one with the clicking sound was made as soon as I started the car and the second video after I drove for maybe 5-10 minutes.

Here is the video of the clicking noise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00feps36jV4

And video of normal engine sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPhzuyVyFH0
From what I think that's pretty much a timing belt bearing having a hard time, making it very loud. This would also explain why it's making more noise when cold vs hot.

Maybe I'm wrong but the mercedez benz people should know!
Old 03-22-2010, 06:42 PM
Banned

2010 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG, 2011 BMW X5///M
i sometimes get that sound too but it goes away
Old 03-22-2010, 07:09 PM

C63
Could that sound come from not having the right oil for the engine? what oil are you guys using in your cars?

Last edited by RobChang68; 03-22-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 C63 AMG
Thank God I'm not the only one
Old 03-22-2010, 07:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'09 C63 AMG, '10 ML350 4Matic
The sound I heard I thought was coming from my engine bay...but after going back to the back side, I could hear it at the exhaust. I determined it was from vibration of the exhaust system...however, it doesn't stop there--my car misfired, and after being flashed by the dealer, the noise went away. They told me my cylindars were firing ok, but the two banks were off by like 40rpms...I think the small click is the rattle that is caused from unbalanced cylindars. Not sure it is a big deal, but it went away with the flash.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
Your car is grouchy you haven't driven it in a while.

The click the OP described is normal on the 63's if the car has been sitting a long time. Doesn't always happen, but when it does, it won't go away until the car is fully warmed up. There are other threads on this.....
Old 03-22-2010, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Probably just the lifters. Mine clicked until it warmed up after sitting for 5 months in storage.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:54 PM

E320
Normally the Purge Valve would make a clicking noise when the car first starts up for about 5-10mins. If it continues you might want to clear the purge valve.

labdag
Old 04-25-2010, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Sounds like lifter clatter to me. Hydraulic lifters can leak down (oil leaks out of them) when the car is sitting. It can take a while for them to be pumped full of oil again after the engine is started the next time. The oil must be leaking out of the lifter galleys when the engine is sitting allowing one or more of the lifters to leak down.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 GLK 350, 2013 GT-R, & 2013 RAM 1500
Originally Posted by Mort
Sounds like lifter clatter to me. Hydraulic lifters can leak down (oil leaks out of them) when the car is sitting. It can take a while for them to be pumped full of oil again after the engine is started the next time. The oil must be leaking out of the lifter galleys when the engine is sitting allowing one or more of the lifters to leak down.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:31 PM

2011 C63 P31
My car has made this exact noise twice so far (today and around 4 months ago). I have been driving it regularly the last two weeks, so it's not a result of sitting in the garage for 4-5 days like I had expected. I drove it about a mile at 9am, and then again at 11:45am when it started making that noise. It was very loud today (frequency changes with enging revs), and it went away after driving 3-4 miles.

Anyone still experiencing this problem?
Old 04-12-2011, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
I drive my car only on Sundays only. Have not had this happen yet. Longest I let it sit was 2 weeks without d
Old 04-12-2011, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
I drive my car only on Sundays only. Have not had this happen yet. Longest I let it sit was 2 weeks without driving, but started up car for a few minutes in between those weeks. I would freak out if I heard that lol.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
Normal but if the ticking increases or decreases in speed due to throttle variation then you should get it checked out by a Tech. Until then however, it's absolutely normal.

FYI: Breaks will squeak too when cold or on slow speeds and that is Normal as well.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:18 PM

2011 C63 P31
Originally Posted by Merc-Skycap
Normal but if the ticking increases or decreases in speed due to throttle variation then you should get it checked out by a Tech. Until then however, it's absolutely normal.

FYI: Breaks will squeak too when cold or on slow speeds and that is Normal as well.
The ticking did increase and decrease in speed with the throttle, but it goes away after driving a few miles. I talked to an AMG tech at a local dealer, and he told me that it sounds like some air got into the lifters causing them to chatter. He also said that in order for them to diagnose this problem, they need to be able to reproduce the noise as they have listening devices to figure out which cylinder the noise is coming from. Since this has only happened two times in the last 4-5 months, it is highly unlikely that the car will make this noise when I take it to the dealership. Not sure whether I should ignore this for now or take it to a different dealer.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
VMX128 next time it starts doing that, open the hood and check to see if it's coming from where I circled in Red in the picture below. I am not an AMG tech but when I had taken mine in for a similar issue I was told to try to locate the ticking/clicking. If clicking increased or decreased by throttle and the clicking were to be coming from the circled area below, it could be a problem. However, if the clicking stays the same regardless of throttle use, it's normal and will likely go away as it did with mine.

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited by Merc-Skycap; 04-14-2011 at 05:49 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:21 PM

2011 C63 P31
Originally Posted by Merc-Skycap
VMX128 next time it starts doing that, open the hood and check to see if it's coming from where I circled in Red in the picture below. I am not an AMG tech but when I had taken mine in for a similar issue I was told to try to locate the ticking/clicking. If clicking increased or decreased by throttle and the clicking were to be coming from the circled area below, it could be a problem. However, if the clicking stays the same regardless of throttle use, it's normal and will likely go away as it did with mine.
Hope this helps a bit.
Thanks Merc-Skycap! I'll definitely try to locate the source of the clicking if it happens again. Wonder what's located in the area you marked in that picture. Surely, not the lifters!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clicking noise coming from engine