Dealer drilled holes in my new car!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by desmo996
Well I just order a Euro plate online and hopefully this will take care of the eye soar. I just hope it installs easily on the curved front bumper.....
Use 3M double-sided tape to stick the Euro plate on. I think it will look better and bend/mold to the angled front bumper better than a Euro plate on a frame. I may still do this if I get sick of looking at those 4 black bumper caps I put on.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:50 PM

BMW 335i, Ducati 996, Mercedes C63 AMG
Originally Posted by sflgator
Use 3M double-sided tape to stick the Euro plate on. I think it will look better and bend/mold to the angled front bumper better than a Euro plate on a frame. I may still do this if I get sick of looking at those 4 black bumper caps I put on.

Good idea.

Does the 3M tape do any damage to the paint if you end up ever taking it off in the future?
Old 08-02-2009, 11:51 PM

C63 & Mustang Mach1(s)
Congrats on your new C. I'm so pumped had mine since Thursday and still haven't come down from cloud 9.
You are correct in stating that Nevada does not require a front plate. Thank god my dealership didn't do that. From DMV:

Plate Display

Most vehicles require two plates at all times, except motorcycles and trailers, which require only a rear plate. You must display both plates if the vehicle is designed for a front plate or if the manufacturer offers an add-on bracket or frame. (NRS 482.275)
Front plates are optional only if 1) the vehicle was not designed for a front plate and 2) the manufacturer did not provide an add-on bracket or other means of displaying the front plate.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG(sold), 2009 CL550, 2010 S550 Majestic Black, 2010 ML550, 2006 C230, 2009 Venza
Use 3M double-sided tape to stick the Euro plate on. I think it will look better and bend/mold to the angled front bumper better than a Euro plate on a frame
It will be very hard to 3m double tape a euro plate to the C63 bumper due to its curvature/angle in the middle (i tried it without success). He can use those same holes to screw the plate frame and it will hold on just fine. He can order an original frame and plate holder directly from germany thru ebay like i did.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jeffield
wow you guys had to sign a waiver for that ?
I did not have to sign a waiver in MD even though the front plate is required. I did have to sign a waiver when I lived in CA.

IMO, cars look so much better without the front plate.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Just received my new C63 purchased out of state from a CA dealer and was pissed to find out the dealer mounted a front plate holder leaving 4 drilled holes in my brand new car's bumper!

In Vegas a front plate is not required so I don't want this ugly black plastic holder hanging there in the front.

What's the best way to fix these holes? I know of bumperplugs.com but 4 holes filled with plugs might look kind of crappy too. I am afraid to find out what a body shop would charge a C63 owner to fill and repaint these holes since they'd probably say the entire bumper needs to be repainted to match the paint. Anyone ever go this route? Is it an easier repair than I think it is?

The only other option I can think of is to get a Euro-style front plate with a Euro vanity license just for the imported look. It would probably be cheaper than a repair job.
Ugh! Im in NY and its required and my sales person called me asking if I wanted the front plate mounted. Sadly I said yes. Not because I care if I get pulled over for it, but because I care if I drink a glass of wine AND get pulled over for it.

I would go with the Euro plate option. That sounds cool.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:28 AM

2015 C300 4matic
I made sure the dealer did not put the front tags when I bought it. Did not have to sign any waivers.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
LOL @ Vegas AMG for even posting the statue. I wonder how many C63s are in Vegas now that there are three more and the three of us live close by.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:20 PM

my wife wild, but she loves every minute of it.
Originally Posted by gsrjc
I would have refused the car since the AMG doesn't come with holes already drilled into the front bumper from the factory. If you live in a state that requires a front license plate, the decision should be up to the owner. I told my dealer not to put on a front plate and they didn't do it at all. It is required also in MD.
Front plates are good for red-light cameras and laser guns, and nothing else.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:32 PM

Anyobody know how they go about repairing/patching these kinds of holes in the bumper?

I see there are many mobile plastic bumper repair companies that come out to your place and fix damage on site without removing the bumper. Can the holes just be filled with something, sanded and sprayed with an airbrush or something like that?

I know if I decided to go to the dealer they would take the opportunity to charge as much $$$ as possible. I'm sure they would say the whole bumper has to be removed and repainted once the holes were patched.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The correct way is to remove the bumper and all attached items, repair, re-spray. You would want the entire bumper clear-coated again. Following the DIY I found somewhere on the net, I just picked up some 3/16" black plugs from Lowes. The are quite small and flat with a very slight dome. Kind of like the miniaturized version of the one from bumperplug.com.

Last edited by Sincity; 08-03-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sincity
The correct way is to remove the bumper and all attached items, repair, re-spray. You would want the entire bumper clear-coated again. Following the DIY I found somewhere on the net, I just picked up some 3/16" black plugs from Lowes. The are quite small and flat with a very slight dome. Kind of like the miniaturized version of the one from bumperplug.com.

Hey good find! I will check them out although Iridium Silver is going to be a tougher match....

What section did you find this kind of hardware in btw?
Old 08-03-2009, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lowes hardware section where all the screws, nuts, and bolts are located. They are stored in one of the pull out drawers (about half-way down the hardware aisle). Agree about the color, but these things are so small, the tiny color difference may not even be noticeable.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Find a new dealer...I've never had front plates on my CA Euro cars...only my work rig has front plates.

also, never heard of having to sign a waiver
Old 08-03-2009, 02:10 PM

a g
Originally Posted by QuadBenz
I would've refused to accept delivery if I requested no front plate as well. I live in CA, bought from a dealer in CA... My sales rep actually asked me if I wanted a front plate or not. Said no, they didn't touch it, luckily. It sucks for those whose dealers actually obey the law.
Has nothing to do with the dealership, they don't get fined for the owner not putting front plates on their cars. That is the owners decision, and I'd also refuse delivery if they drilled the front plate without asking me.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
This is what I did... cheap but took some effort to do (painting, clear coating, etc.)

Old 08-03-2009, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I know your pain and frustration, guys. I bought from a VA dealer and I'm in FL where they only require the rear plate as well. There are 3 options for us...

1. The color matched bumper caps (which I currently have in now and they're not bad...see pic).

2. Get a front Euro plate to go over them.

3. Get them patched and repainted (which is of course, the most expensive option).

Right now, I'm satisfied with option #1, and I actually went to a local car enthusiast specialty shop (The Driver's Seat) and the guy gave me 2 sets for free. He said "try these, and if you don't like them, then come back and order a unique Euro plate for $40." I figured if I don't like the caps or I get sick of looking at them, then I'll do just that...option #2.
Take a look at the 3/16" hole plugs they have at Lowes. Much smaller than what you are using now.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ZOINK: Looks real nice and discrete. Good job!
Old 08-03-2009, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Take a look at the 3/16" hole plugs they have at Lowes. Much smaller than what you are using now.
+1... that's what I did

Plus, I think it is only 1/8" long or even shorter. You still need to enlarge the current hole since there should be some tread in the bumper that would make this hole plug not fit... but unlike bumperplugs.com, you don't need to drill all the way... the benefit? You could still re-install your front plates in case you get some fix-it tickets. This is actually the benefit I like more than the plug size itself.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Going to look at those...thank you! I also ordered a Euro plate just in case I get sick of the black caps.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:52 PM

2005 Crossfire SRT-6
Anyobody know how they go about repairing/patching these kinds of holes in the bumper?

I see there are many mobile plastic bumper repair companies that come out to your place and fix damage on site without removing the bumper. Can the holes just be filled with something, sanded and sprayed with an airbrush or something like that?

I know if I decided to go to the dealer they would take the opportunity to charge as much $$$ as possible. I'm sure they would say the whole bumper has to be removed and repainted once the holes were patched.

NEVER go to or use a mobile bumper repair guy...........or anybody that wants to paint your bumper on the car. I wouldn't even do that to a Hyundai. You paid the cash for a M-B, pay the cash to have it repaired properly by someone that knows what they're doing.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:07 PM

my wife wild, but she loves every minute of it.
Originally Posted by moparrbust
NEVER go to or use a mobile bumper repair guy...........or anybody that wants to paint your bumper on the car. I wouldn't even do that to a Hyundai. You paid the cash for a M-B, pay the cash to have it repaired properly by someone that knows what they're doing.
+1

The quality will remain when the price is forgotten. Henry Royce
Old 08-03-2009, 03:15 PM

Going to look at those...thank you! I also ordered a Euro plate just in case I get sick of the black caps.
Good info guys!

I ordered a Euro plate as well but I'm thinking that with the curve in the front bumper the universal frame they send you won't work well because it's probably too rigid to bend.

I've been trying to find (without success) someplace to buy an OEM front bracket that they use on European C63's which molds to the bumpers curvature and provides you with a flat surface to mount the europlate onto.

I called my dealer but they can't get any non-US parts. I am even checking with Kleemann since they are Euro based and use these brackets on show cars I believe.

Here is an example of what I mean:
Attached Thumbnails Dealer drilled holes in my new car!!!-eg.jpg   Dealer drilled holes in my new car!!!-eg2.jpg  

Last edited by desmo996; 08-03-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
360 Modena TT
if you told them not to mount the front plate , you should have them fix it . my dad bought my mom a cl55 amg and told them not to put a front plate and when he went to pick up the car it had it on there . when he got home , he decided that he would take it off . he about passed out when the front bumper looked like a piece of swiss cheese . they had missed drilled the holes 2 times before getting them right . the bumper had 12 holes in it . he made them order a new bumper for it .
Old 08-04-2009, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
I guess you can blame the lawyers there was a class action law suit that MB lost regarding front plates. The dealer had to pay for every person that threw their frame away. At our dealer you sign the waiver as well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer drilled holes in my new car!!!