C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy but true! Anyone else had a UFO hit their windscreen?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 09:28 AM
GMW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML63 AMG PP
Crazy but true! Anyone else had a UFO hit their windscreen?

Yes it was an unidentifiable flying object as I don't know what the hell it was and it made a hell of a noise.

As I drove to work last Saturday, I had a huge rock (or something the size of a golf ball) hit my windscreen from opposing traffic (2 way road), with such an impact that it left my ears ringing! I only saw the vague object just as it was about to impact and thought to myself "OH SH*T"...then I heard a very loud impact and my ears were ringing. I knew the windscreen was smashed.

I looked around for the huge impact area and only saw some residue (a bit like rubber/grease) and no crack? I couldn't believe that such a loud impact that made my ears ring didn't smash the whole windscreen!

After reaching the office I checked from the outside and wiped off the weird residue and I could see that the object that hit my windscreen had shaved some tenth or hundredth of a millimeter off the top glass on the middle of the windscreen.

I have never experienced or seen anything like this before. My impression is that this glass is very strong, even though small dust stones etch their way into it if following another car at speed (not tailgating and legal of course ). That said I was probably very lucky that the object hit at such an angle as to ricochet off the windscreen and above the car without completely smashing it.

Anyone else ever experienced something like this? I still can't believe that something that made my ears ring like that didn't break the windscreen.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:32 AM

C63AMG
Two weeks ago, had a nice rock strike 2/3 way up, an inch from right windshield frame post. Left a small hole in windshield. The honeymoon is over.........sounds like your experience.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C300 4matic
I hate when cars in front of me does not stay in their lane.. One mini van drifted to the side and shot a debris size of a golf ball right into my windshield. I was lucky and do not have any chips yet (knock on wood)
Old 08-03-2009, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Depending on the size, you may want to get that repaired ASAP. It may spread and crack the windshield.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:06 PM

a g
I am just impressed you can gauge a hundredth of a millimeter accurately. Most newer windshields are double laminated if I recall correctly.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 560SEC Teal 1989 420SEL Ice Blue 1984 500SEC White
I was traveling the Jersey Tpk. in the late winter headed north in the truck lane. A tractor trailer headed south in there truck lane had a pieces of frozen snow/ice spin off. One piece about 4"x6" flew, actually tumbling in the air, acrsoss 6 lanes of traffic and two small medians, hitting me in the drivers side mirror. All I could see was it was headed for my windshield, the side view mirror took the brunt and broke the sheet into smaller pieces when it reached my windshield. And there wasn't a thing I could do about it, no where to move to and no way to slow down safely.
Thanks GM for building a good strong side view mirror.
This is in my 91 Olds 98, which by the way is giving me a constant 22 MPG combined with 164K on it.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:03 PM

It varies.
I was driving along a recently surfaced road covered with loose chippings. I kept the speed down to around 15mph to avoid any paintwork damage but with about twenty yards to the end of the newly surfaced area a car came the other way doing about 40
You can guess what happened next,a stonechip flew straight into my windscreen leaving a dimple goughed into it!