Sponsored by:

Rattling Noise from sound system?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 02:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
15 GLA 45, 09 C63, 06 WRX STi
Rattling Noise from sound system?

I have the multimedia package with the Harman Kardon sound system. When I crank the volume up high and there is a lot of bass in the music I can hear a rattling coming from the back of the car...its most likely coming from where the rear sun shade comes out from.

Sounds like either a speaker is loose, or one of the speakers back there blew.

Anyone experience anything similar with this sound system?
Old 08-05-2009, 02:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Our cars have Stereo Systems? Mine makes alot of noise from the back end too but it seems to be coming from the 4 large silver holes just below the rear bumper. Seems to get much more prominent closer to red line. I just thought that is the way it is supposed to sound?
Old 08-05-2009, 07:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Lotus Evora S
Originally Posted by jstefanop
I have the multimedia package with the Harman Kardon sound system. When I crank the volume up high and there is a lot of bass in the music I can hear a rattling coming from the back of the car...its most likely coming from where the rear sun shade comes out from.

Sounds like either a speaker is loose, or one of the speakers back there blew.

Anyone experience anything similar with this sound system?
Got the same problem which drove me crazy. The dealer couldn't fix it. I finally found the issue by myself and fixed it. In my case, the vibration came from the grid part between the rear sun share and the rear windshield. One side of the grid was loose. I simply put my fingers between the grid and the windshield and pulled towards myself. I heard a click as the part got re-attached properly. I did the same thing all along the grid to make sure everything was fine. No issue since then. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2009, 08:22 AM

C63, LR3
you guys rock...I just dropped mine off this morning for the same issue (along with several others)
Old 08-05-2009, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 C63
Originally Posted by C634U2C
Our cars have Stereo Systems? Mine makes alot of noise from the back end too but it seems to be coming from the 4 large silver holes just below the rear bumper. Seems to get much more prominent closer to red line. I just thought that is the way it is supposed to sound?

Anyways I have that problem too. But I've had my car for almost a year and it just started probably about a year ago
Old 08-05-2009, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
LOL. Funny, b/c I'm torn by the C63's HK Logic sound system...in the sense that I LOVE listening to the deep, exotic exhaust/engine notes coming from the quad AMG exhaust, but I also listen to a lot of Sirius/XM Sat Radio as well. And, I have to say that I'm so very, very disappointed with this HK Logic 7 sound system.

I thought I was getting the same HK Logic 7 sound system that I had in my BMW 335i. Well, no way it's the same; I think the fact that it's missing the 1 subwoofer (BMW 335i had 1 sub under the passenger seat I believe) makes a huge difference in sound quality. It lacks the bass, and I'm not talking bass from the 'hood or anything like that, but just somewhat low, bass notes...they just aren't there (even with my Bass setting turned to 9-10).

Anyhow, for the first time in about 15+ years, I've decided to add a subwoofer to my oem stock sound system...it sux, but I drive my car so much that I have to be able to enjoy the tunes, man!

btw -- sorry for the somewhat OT rant...no rattles here; not enough bass for that!
Old 08-05-2009, 05:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
15 GLA 45, 09 C63, 06 WRX STi
I took the plastic grill piece that covers the sub off and popped it back in...seems like that fixed the rattle, even though I was not able to pop all the clips back in...
Old 08-05-2009, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jstefanop
I took the plastic grill piece that covers the sub off and popped it back in...seems like that fixed the rattle, even though I was not able to pop all the clips back in...
The C63 AMG actually has a subwoofer?

Really, where, what size is it...4", and is there a switch to turn it on? I don't know about your car, but I've got very little bass in my car.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
^^ Im with this guy where is it? I'm so disappointed in the stock sound system. the highs and mids are there but the bass is no where to be found.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by arctichaze
^^ Im with this guy where is it? I'm so disappointed in the stock sound system. the highs and mids are there but the bass is no where to be found.
I think I'm going to add this to my MB C63 HK Logic 7 (no bass) sound system...

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Bassl...cmu_pg__header
Old 09-04-2009, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
FYI, guys -- if you're looking to add an inexpensive, simple and amazing add-on powered subwoofer, then take a look at this...

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Bassl...2098171&sr=8-1

I just had the Infinity Basslink powered subwoofer installed (installation charge by a local car stereo shop was $80), and OMG, my HK Logic 7 sound system sounds 10x better!!!!

The stereo tech and I couldn't believe that on such an expensive, high-end sports sedan (which has the HK Logic 7 system) like the MB C63 does not have a subwoofer!!! What was MB thinking?

I noticed from day 1 that my C63 AMG lacked bass, and I was so perplexed since I had the HK Logic 7 system in my BMW 335i; however the 335i has an 8" subwoofer mounted under the passenger seat I believe, and I thought it was quite sufficient. The C63 AMG however, only has mid-range speakers and tweeters; one 6" x 9" mid-range speaker in the rear deck acts as the subwoofer....are you kidding me?

Anyhow, now that the Infinity Basslink (which btw, has a small footprint...only takes up 1 ft. space in your trunk) has been added, the system ROCKS!!! It's not so much "boom boom" that it will bother any of your neighbors, but it seems to add just right amount of deep bass that the HK Logic 7 system lacks in the C63 AMG! Just wanted to share if anyone might be looking for a decent and easy solution to complete your C63's stereo system.

The only negative is that when I have my stereo turned up now, I cannot hear the sublime sound of my C63 AMG!!!! Good times!

Last edited by sflgator; 09-04-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
axe muderer with headlights
Originally Posted by Mr. Happy
Got the same problem which drove me crazy. The dealer couldn't fix it. I finally found the issue by myself and fixed it. In my case, the vibration came from the grid part between the rear sun share and the rear windshield. One side of the grid was loose. I simply put my fingers between the grid and the windshield and pulled towards myself. I heard a click as the part got re-attached properly. I did the same thing all along the grid to make sure everything was fine. No issue since then. Good luck!
I'll try this, I have the rear deck rattle when I play music loud or drive over rough roads.