Performance Package? I know I know...this ones a bit different

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Performance Package? I know I know...this ones a bit different

Now that you have owned your car for x amount of days, weeks, months...if you could add the performance package to your car for $2,500, would you do it?

For those that have the performance package - if you could take the money you spent on that package and instead get a K2 kit for example (and lose the suspension, brakes, LSD, etc) would you?

Finally, are the brakes on the PP car any more prone to cracking/warping/wearing out quicker than the regular brakes?

The benefits Im seeing are:
Suspension - tighter (lower at all?)
Steering wheel - all preference
LSD - no brainer
Brakes - bite harder and lighter, potentially making the car a bit faster as unsprung weight reduction is money
Top speed - who cares
Old 08-10-2009, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63AMG
Top speed limiting (174 with 030 P/P option) is gonna get washed as soon as you do an ECU upgrade, so not a factor.

Since we went with the 030 P/P option, after 90 days, would do the exact same option again. It's great.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG
I would have gotten PP package if they had one in stock across entire canada. LSD is nice feature to have since i am planing on tracking the car a little but then since i am not gonna go crazy on the track anyways i think i will be fine with LSD.

I really like the Alcantara steering wheel but then i have sweaty hand and one or two year down the road its gonna look like crap.

Suspension and brake wise i think its not gonna be a noticable improvements. My C63 without PP package has pretty tight suspension already, stiff yet very comfy. Ideal ride for a sport sedan, personally i won't want it to be any stiffer. (And i am young) Regular brake on a C63 is already very very good I can't imagine anyone needing better brakes unless you track the car a lot. However if you track the car a lot its probably better to buy 8 pot or 6pot bbk.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:47 PM

C63 Kleeman; CLS63 Renntech; Kirkham 427S/C; 308 GTB; 911T 3.0 911 cab 3.6
The PP suspension is great for a daily driver. (And I leave in the northeast where the roads are crappy.) I wouldn't have it any softer.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:01 PM

C63 AMG
^thats interesting i need to ride in a C63 with PP package to feel the difference in ride.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:50 PM

C63AMG
Thumbs up Steering Wheel Cover and Big Brakes

Originally Posted by MikeS54
I would have gotten PP package if they had one in stock across entire canada. LSD is nice feature to have since i am planing on tracking the car a little but then since i am not gonna go crazy on the track anyways i think i will be fine with LSD.

I really like the Alcantara steering wheel but then i have sweaty hand and one or two year down the road its gonna look like crap.

Suspension and brake wise i think its not gonna be a noticable improvements. My C63 without PP package has pretty tight suspension already, stiff yet very comfy. Ideal ride for a sport sedan, personally i won't want it to be any stiffer. (And i am young) Regular brake on a C63 is already very very good I can't imagine anyone needing better brakes unless you track the car a lot. However if you track the car a lot its probably better to buy 8 pot or 6pot bbk.
For daily driving with sweaty hands, a nice sheepskin cover works great. Then when your not sweating, off can come the cover and you can enjoy that nice leathery feel. If you haven't driven with the better brakes, then you don't have a clue, once you've experienced them big beautiful AMG brakes, you won't want anything less.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:13 AM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by lomita
For daily driving with sweaty hands, a nice sheepskin cover works great. Then when your not sweating, off can come the cover and you can enjoy that nice leathery feel. If you haven't driven with the better brakes, then you don't have a clue, once you've experienced them big beautiful AMG brakes, you won't want anything less.

Is the PP brakes that much better than regular C63 brakes? I have my doubt on that one? Aftermarket rotors are probably still better but i have to wait until i track the C63 to find out.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:48 AM

2009 MB C63 2007 MB ML63 2006 MB CLS 500 (wife)
Originally Posted by MikeS54
Is the PP brakes that much better than regular C63 brakes? I have my doubt on that one? Aftermarket rotors are probably still better but i have to wait until i track the C63 to find out.
The braking is probably the same, the only plus is: the brakes fade less with PP when you track your car, because they are more ventilated. I think that $4000 option will not give you much better and bigger brakes, just a little tweak that can be recognized by true enthusiasts. I also think that the majority of money ($4k for PP) is spent on the LSD.

Last edited by -michael-; 08-12-2009 at 04:04 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:40 AM

C63AMG
probably? mehbe........ suit yourself
Old 08-12-2009, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
I'm fond of stiff suspensions in general, provided that the damping is optimized within reason. I think AMG has done a good job in that respect with the PP. The comfort level on most road surfaces is surprising high. That said, over deteriorating road surfaces such as broken asphalt, I'd guess many would find the PP suspension calibration too stiff. It really is borderline even for me. YMMV.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:01 PM

C63AMG
Suspension Stiffness 030 Performance Package

Originally Posted by bhamg
I'm fond of stiff suspensions in general, provided that the damping is optimized within reason. I think AMG has done a good job in that respect with the PP. The comfort level on most road surfaces is surprising high. That said, over deteriorating road surfaces such as broken asphalt, I'd guess many would find the PP suspension calibration too stiff. It really is borderline even for me. YMMV.
NOT for the faint of heart. An extraodinary vehicle suspension. As my daily driver, I wouldn't have it any other way.