Sponsored by:

Chrome Package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 08:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
E63S || C63 || E550 Coupe || Cayenne ||
looks terrible.
It's like putting heavy eyeliner on a man.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by w204amg
Indeed.
If you deviate from the norm, you're gonna get bashed.
But if its your car, w/e go for it do whatever you like.
Chrome out the whole car if you want to.

After all, like you said. Its all opinion.
Chrome cheapens and makes the amg look butt ugly, and thats my opinion.

Take it offensively if you want to, it doesnt matter what i phrase it nicely.
I can say "Not feeling it" or "Its not for everyone... but if you like it" , and maybe you would perceive it as an offensive comment.

Who knows? After all it is YOUR perception.

However, the act of taking it personally and insulting someone else's financial status is definitely crossing the line.

You do realize you're alone with your one and only chrome buddy.
Now before you get bashed even harder by more and more people, you better quiet yourself down.
you sound like you majored in psy in college. great comment!
Old 08-15-2009, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by sjhugh
Thanks propain,

I’ve never been a fan of chrome and wouldn’t do it myself but I can’t see what the fuss is all about. That doesn’t look too bad, especially with the Iridium. It’s definitely not worth arguing over. It’s the orange reflector thing on the guard that looks far worse in my opinion. Colour code it and the car should look good.
Yeah, im not a big chrome guy either but I thought it looked good enough to stay on the car. After all I didn't add it myself. That was my point about the silver though. It really doesn't stand out much.

The Orange reflector is hideous. I'm looking into options.

The kids on this forum just like to argue. If its not CF its crap. Its the new trend now. Black out the car to the point you don't even know what it is because they think they are all street racers.

Either way, thanks for the maturity on the subject. I was losing faith in the MB world forum.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
I'm surprised that no one has used the ultimate car guy insult...if it doesn't go..CHROME IT!
Old 08-15-2009, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by patrickkc
looks terrible.
It's like putting heavy eyeliner on a man.
Have a lot of experience with this?
Old 08-15-2009, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
I'm surprised that no one has used the ultimate car guy insult...if it doesn't go..CHROME IT!
Never heard that one.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by propain
Never heard that one.
Well known in the over 40 car guy world.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm not much of a CF guy either. I find CF hoods "tacky." If I was going to buy a CF hood to save weight, it would be painted body color. But at that point, why bother and save money getting it in FRP.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
As with most styling issues, "to chrome or not to chrome" is a very personal decision. Personally, I don't like it... but hey, it's your car, and if you're happy with it that's all that matters. I do tend to like CF accents, but I'll agree with your assessment that moderation is key for any "accent" touches.

One issue - AFAIK, there is no such thing as a "chrome package" - your dealer appears to have just taken some aftermarket chrome bits and glued 'em to the car. Hope the "package" didn't cost too much extra...

There is an interior CF package, but IIRC it's a couple grand extra.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The one CF accessory I would like is the mirror cover(s) to hide the chrome piece underneath the clear plastic lens.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:42 AM

2010 c63 AMG
Originally Posted by wuyichao
you sound like you majored in psy in college. great comment!
Not majoring in it but i have taken a few courses in the field.
Thanks.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:16 AM

2021 Platinum Magno Gray G63AMG, 2018 Lamborghini Huracan Performante
Any pix of the chrome door handles?
Old 08-16-2009, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
Well known in the over 40 car guy world.
Glad I dont then.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
As with most styling issues, "to chrome or not to chrome" is a very personal decision. Personally, I don't like it... but hey, it's your car, and if you're happy with it that's all that matters. I do tend to like CF accents, but I'll agree with your assessment that moderation is key for any "accent" touches.

One issue - AFAIK, there is no such thing as a "chrome package" - your dealer appears to have just taken some aftermarket chrome bits and glued 'em to the car. Hope the "package" didn't cost too much extra...

Im aware. I paid $52,200 for her. No extra charge for the $250 in chrome accents.

CF is rice. I expect to see it on Evo's and STI's. Not on a MB. IMO that cheapens the car. But you don't see me burning up the CF threads with puke emoticons.

I dont care what these kiddies think, I was just throwing it out there. Funny how this thread let me know so much about so many though. So some good did come from it.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:38 AM

C63 AMG, BMW 135i

Your right about the chrome not being a Mercedes Benz item (apart from the door handles), though there are a million & one places to buy them from. Here’s a few example of what’s available for MB. Check out the interior trim.

Chrome Trim
http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto/parts/2008/mercedes_benz/c300/exterior_molding.html?3594=1941

Pre-painted Reflectors
http://www.evosport.com/product/vehicle/guides/MBZ_C63AMG_W204.pdf

Interior Trim (There are some colours here to test your taste)
http://www.carid.com/2009-mercedes-c-class-wood-grain-dash-kits/

MB Accessories for Australia
http://www.carshine.com.au/

It just goes to show there are as many people with different tastes as there are with different noses. I think CF can look good on white if you don’t over do it, but it’s ordinary to ugly on most other colours. Each to there own I say.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by sjhugh
Your right about the chrome not being a Mercedes Benz item (apart from the door handles), though there are a million & one places to buy them from. Here’s a few example of what’s available for MB. Check out the interior trim.

Chrome Trim
http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto/parts/2008/mercedes_benz/c300/exterior_molding.html?3594=1941

Pre-painted Reflectors
http://www.evosport.com/product/vehicle/guides/MBZ_C63AMG_W204.pdf

Interior Trim (There are some colours here to test your taste)
http://www.carid.com/2009-mercedes-c-class-wood-grain-dash-kits/

MB Accessories for Australia
http://www.carshine.com.au/

It just goes to show there are as many people with different tastes as there are with different noses. I think CF can look good on white if you don’t over do it, but it’s ordinary to ugly on most other colours. Each to there own I say.

Good links. I have the headlight ring and the cups around the door handle. The other stuff would probably be over the top. But on the Silver it really does blend in.

The reflectors will be replaced on mine for sure! Im also changing the rims to concave as soon as they release.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Im aware. I paid $52,200 for her. No extra charge for the $250 in chrome accents.
Glad to hear it.

CF is rice. I expect to see it on Evo's and STI's. Not on a MB. IMO that cheapens the car. But you don't see me burning up the CF threads with puke emoticons.
Agree to disagree, I suppose. You'll find plenty of CF on BS AMGs, RS Audis, GT2 and GT3 P cars, CS and Scud F cars, etc. (among other exotics) that are the furthest thing from "rice." In no way does the CF "cheapen the car" on those cars, IMHO... nor does the CF package cheapen the C63 in any way. YMMV.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Glad to hear it.

Agree to disagree, I suppose. You'll find plenty of CF on BS AMGs, RS Audis, GT2 and GT3 P cars, CS and Scud F cars, etc. (among other exotics) that are the furthest thing from "rice." In no way does the CF "cheapen the car" on those cars, IMHO... nor does the CF package cheapen the C63 in any way. YMMV.
No more or less than Chrome I guess. Chrome can be found on all those exotics you listed as well.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:27 AM

1 V10, 2 V8
propain, u argued first so i think ur the kid. And it's not about CF everything. I'm sure you think the black series is rice right?

anyway, let's get back on topic. You should paint the orange reflector the body color. Will look much nicer. Honestly, the chrome has to go though. It will give it a cleaner look.

$52200!!!!! That's a heck of a deal! Which MB dealer did you go to?
Old 08-17-2009, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
propain, u argued first so i think ur the kid. And it's not about CF everything. I'm sure you think the black series is rice right?

anyway, let's get back on topic. You should paint the orange reflector the body color. Will look much nicer. Honestly, the chrome has to go though. It will give it a cleaner look.

$52200!!!!! That's a heck of a deal! Which MB dealer did you go to?
For the record im not a kid. Im 35, married with 2 kids. I WISH I was a kid still!

The BS is nice. Not for me though. More of a kids car IMO. If I wanted to spend the money on a BS I would get the next car above it rather than BS. For instance, I would get a E63 over a BS C63. Or a S65 over a BS E63. Ya know? That stuff has very little resale value. I wouldnt be surprised if it depreciated faster than a regular one.

The more I look at the door cups the more I might agree. I still think it looks good around the headlamps though. Those are the only two places. She only has 600 miles on her so I havent settled into anything yet. If I do remove I hope they just clip on and remove easy.

The reflectors MUST be painted. They are hideous. Safety first I guess but I dont remember any of my cars having such a "stand out orange" color on the reflectors.

Yeah, 52200 after MUCH negotiation. Everything but the PP. 68080 MSRP. It also came tinted and the chrome. Maybe $500 value there as well. The end of the month makes salesmen do crazy things. I also played it really cool. I was like "Eh, I guess I want it" rather than "OMG! This is my dream car I must have her!!" Ya know what I mean? I wont say the specific dealer as they still have inventory and they really bottom lined the car for me.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:37 PM

1 V10, 2 V8
Everyone wishes they're still a kid. The older u get, the more you want to be one again.

All AMGs depreciate like crazy. I remembered I average about a $10-12K drop every year since I had the AMG. It was pretty crazy.

As for the reflectors, We never had orange reflectors a few years back. Suddenly in recent couple years, german cars had to put them one. I guess it's a little more safe for the bicycle riders but if you cant see a silver C63 coming your way, you should be riding a bike.

$52.2K is a steal! You really got me thinking....But I want a bigger car. I like the size of the E but the new E does not look that nice at all. I'd rather have the style of the C. And I really wish MB AMG come with manual transmission. I know at least 5 people on top of my head who would've bought the C63 over the M3 if it came in manual transmission.

Funny thing is, none of them was thinking about the IS-F. Ever see that car? Lexus makes fine vehicles but the IS-F definitely doesnt look right. It REALLY looks like a kids car and that's a REAL kid's car that only their parents can afford to buy it for them.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
Everyone wishes they're still a kid. The older u get, the more you want to be one again.

All AMGs depreciate like crazy. I remembered I average about a $10-12K drop every year since I had the AMG. It was pretty crazy.

As for the reflectors, We never had orange reflectors a few years back. Suddenly in recent couple years, german cars had to put them one. I guess it's a little more safe for the bicycle riders but if you cant see a silver C63 coming your way, you should be riding a bike.

$52.2K is a steal! You really got me thinking....But I want a bigger car. I like the size of the E but the new E does not look that nice at all. I'd rather have the style of the C. And I really wish MB AMG come with manual transmission. I know at least 5 people on top of my head who would've bought the C63 over the M3 if it came in manual transmission.

Funny thing is, none of them was thinking about the IS-F. Ever see that car? Lexus makes fine vehicles but the IS-F definitely doesnt look right. It REALLY looks like a kids car and that's a REAL kid's car that only their parents can afford to buy it for them.
That’s why we buy these cars! The older you get the more expensive the toys!

Yeah, you can even get it cheaper. I know of one right now without the P2 package and PP Black on Black 51K.

The C63 is small. My CTSV was MUCH bigger. I just figured what the hell and went for it. I have to say the "Small" feel makes it feel all the more like a race car.

My only complaint is how low it is in the font. My god if I rub one more parking curb with the nose and run out like a lunatic to make sure I didn’t damage it im gonna freak.

Honestly though, I was going to get a CPO due to the size of the C63. I was looking at a S65 with 40K miles on it. They wanted 60K. I almost pulled the trigger. That car is SO fast. Beats the 63 for sure. Its also SOOO comfortable. My next car will be a CPO S65 for sure. Ill have fun with the 63 for now. Maybe the S65 is for you?

The IS-F is a sweet car, but yes, it does remind me of a Dodge Neon when I see them for some reason. Its also as small as the C63 I think.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)

I dont care what these kiddies think, I was just throwing it out there. Funny how this thread let me know so much about so many though. So some good did come from it.
i agree carbon fiber reminds me a rice rockets.... it is way played out these days