Sponsored by:

Track thread?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
335, 09 C300 Sport
Track thread?

I was planning on getting an M3 because I like to do track days (road course) but the prices on the C63's may sway me. I wanted to get more info on how a stock C63 would do at the track. Are the stock brakes sufficient? Overheating problems?
Old 08-24-2009, 07:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
I havent had any problems, I have tracked my car a few times and no issues ever...the last time I tracked there was a e92 M3 black coupe and this guy would comment every time I left the pit area or when I drove down the pit straight on full throttle, he was amazed how this car sounds, he qouted his car as sounding "wimpy"....also, I along with others on this forum took part of an AMG Customer event in Dallas last november and we drove 18 AMG cars, pretty much the whole line up except for the SL65 Black and SLR, anyway, they had to 2008 C63 without PP, and these cars were on the track for three days for very very hard laps and the AMG instructors said they never had any problems, I was very happy to hear that as I too have a 2008 without PP as it wasnt offered yet, anyway, I was very impressed the beating and thrashing the C63 took without any overheating and brake fade, it was still quite hot outside as well. Hope this helps.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:18 AM

2009 C63 AMG
My recommendation is to not buy a car with price as a criterion -- reserve that for $20K and under cars where price comparison may be a critical buying factor.

Buy based on what what you are looking for in a car.

As for your question regarding how well the C63 does at the track, I think that depends on what your track goals are. If you're not looking to seriously compete, sure, the C63 will do just fine, especially if it has the Performance Package. If it does not, you will probably be looking at an aftermarket LSD, brakes, suspension, etc.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG
C63 with PP pacakge should come very close to a M3 on the track, it is more of a driver's race than car. Price difference is definitely a factor as M3 is no way worth more than 20K. In fact even if both cars (C63 with PP and M3 with M drive) cost exactly the same I would still have picked the C63 over M3 anyday. The way I think about it is despite M3's a little bit better on the track it is much less fun on a day to day basis. For most of us we drive our cars 99% on the street.

Also a big problem with M3 around the track is the brake.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:27 AM

2015 Porsche C2S, 2014 ML63 AMG, & 2012 Maserati Quattroporte S
Originally Posted by MikeS54
C63 with PP pacakge should come very close to a M3 on the track, it is more of a driver's race than car. Price difference is definitely a factor as M3 is no way worth more than 20K. In fact even if both cars (C63 with PP and M3 with M drive) cost exactly the same I would still have picked the C63 over M3 anyday. The way I think about it is despite M3's a little bit better on the track it is much less fun on a day to day basis. For most of us we drive our cars 99% on the street.

Also a big problem with M3 around the track is the brake.
Very true and M3's brakes failed in of the test done by a commercial review company.

Even so, we are still gonna hear whine and trash talk from the M3 boys saying their car is better than us.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Swiftler
Very true and M3's brakes failed in of the test done by a commercial review company.

Even so, we are still gonna hear whine and trash talk from the M3 boys saying their car is better than us.

its ok though theres always fan boys. I am the kinda of guy whos open to everything as you can probably see from the few cars i ve owned.

Anyways a simple fact for M3 is that they got less for their money
Old 08-24-2009, 06:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
Hey nosoup, there are a couple of guys here who have done track events with their C63's and have been very happy with the car, no disappointments. Stock brakes are sufficient. You might need to change brake fluid, add some negative camber up front and you're good to go.

So... what I want to know is... are you just using the money thing as an excuse? I mean you really do like the C63 better, don't you. It's OK to like torque, big engines and loud exhausts. Enthusiasts DO buy AMGs. This is a GREAT car. Every time I drive mine, when I get out I find myself saying "this is THE BEST CAR EVER produced!!" -- rational? No! But it's good to have a car that makes you feel that way.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:53 AM

335, 09 C300 Sport
Is the C63 really a difficult car to drive at the limit like most reviews say?
Old 08-25-2009, 06:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
Not really, it depends how good you are with your right foot. Practice makes perfect though on a track.