C-63 - Very hot fenders and front air intake is solid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 - C63 Black/Black
C-63 - Very hot fenders and front air intake is solid

Got a new 63 last week and I have a few questions to the other owners.

Question #1 - Does anyone know if it's normal for the fenders on a 2009 c-63 to be really hot to the touch?

The gages all look ok and everything is within guidelines however the front fenders are very hot to the touch almost so that you can only hold you hand on them for a few seconds before you have to let up. I only took the car out on a short drive to the grocery store and back and the temp outside was around 88 deg Fahrenheit

Additionally I also noticed that after parking the car in the garage the temperature in the garage heats about 10 deg or so in only a few hours after sitting. The temperature in the garage 3 hours after sitting climbed from 88 to 96 deg Fahrenheit.

Question #2 – Is the front right intake (as you look at the front bumper) supposed to be a solid piece of honeycomb? The one on the left side is functional and look like it goes into some sort of radiator. The one on the right is a solid honeycomb plastic cover. Should this be perforated like the other one?

Any suggestions or comments are welcome..
Old 08-24-2009, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The car does run very hot after just a normal drive. I do have a concern about heat retention during the course of ownership. I wonder if there are any venting mods available?

One of my grills is also non-perforated. Perhaps we should open it up so we can vent the hot engine compartment?
Old 08-24-2009, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
fwiw, it's the same with the E63.

Fenders get super hot. Esp with stop and go traffic. On a freeway run or open road run, it's not as bad.

The motors make a LOT of heat.

But since the intro of the 6.2, there's never been a heat related failure, afaik.

The fender paint may fade quickly however.

Good argument for a lighter color car.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:48 PM

SLK280(Gone), C63, CLK550
I parked my car overnight, and 7 hours later next morning almost burnt myself checking oil. lol.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
I think it's simply the black color vs. a lighter color.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Ran SRT-10,2007 S550,2016 E400c
If you think a 63 is hot look at the hood of a 65 motor after its been running in the summer, You will see heat marks coming off it ( Like when you look at hot pavment in the summer) those motors get insanlly hot
Old 08-25-2009, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Originally Posted by c63beastdriver

Question #2 – Is the front right intake (as you look at the front bumper) supposed to be a solid piece of honeycomb? The one on the left side is functional and look like it goes into some sort of radiator. The one on the right is a solid honeycomb plastic cover. Should this be perforated like the other one?

Correct. The open side has a fan behind it for engine oil cooler.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:34 AM

C63 AMG
Originally I thought is was supposed to cool the brakes. Based on what I've seen even on an AMG promo video is that air flows from the front intake and exits the side vents to cool the front brakes. I hate the fact that it's solid!
Old 08-25-2009, 07:40 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP

Got a new 63 last week and I have a few questions to the other owners.

Question #1 - Does anyone know if it's normal for the fenders on a 2009 c-63 to be really hot to the touch?

The gages all look ok and everything is within guidelines however the front fenders are very hot to the touch almost so that you can only hold you hand on them for a few seconds before you have to let up. I only took the car out on a short drive to the grocery store and back and the temp outside was around 88 deg Fahrenheit

Additionally I also noticed that after parking the car in the garage the temperature in the garage heats about 10 deg or so in only a few hours after sitting. The temperature in the garage 3 hours after sitting climbed from 88 to 96 deg Fahrenheit.

My fenders get how too. Bigger engine, more heat!

The front right intake is supposed to be solid and the front left intake (when looking from the outside to your car) is not. The reason for this is that the front left intake is supposed to send air to the secondary oil cooler that kicks in if engine oil temperatures go above some predetermined figure. Once you drive your car a bit hard you can stop and go outside to put your hand over the side vents on the side of the bumper where the non-solid vent is. It's quite impressive as you feel the hot air being blown out of them!