Sponsored by:

C63 VS CTS-V

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550 COUPE
C63 VS CTS-V

Hi we all know the c63 puts out 451hp, But the CTS-V puts out 555 or soemting like that, C63 runs 0-60 3.9 seconds and 12.3 quartermile. the CTS-V does 0-60 in 3.9 seconds and 12 flat at 118 tested by motor trend. Everyone including my friends are saying how the CTS-V is so much better and faster then the c63 and even the m5 and is near Z06 straight line speed. Do you guys think that the CTS-V its more well rounded car then the c63, And do u think if mercedes made it 518hp like the e63, it would outpeform the cts-v in a straightline. p-s dont jus say the c63 is better because its a mb forum or because u own 1
Old 08-27-2009, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
If you are going to mention HP please also add the weights. The CTS-V is like 300lbs heavier just like the M-5 is.
The AMG auto tranmssion has an advantage over the 6 speed manula transmission on the cadillac. One of the reasons why I just sold my Z06 is because of the POS Tremec TR6060 transmission(same as the cadillac).

The Cadillac is still faster than the C63 but not by much.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
No comparison in sound is the biggy for me, we have this monster V8 that sounds muscular and exotic...the ctsv sounds like crap, even if they went and put an aftermarket exhaust it still doesnt have the character of our AMG powerplant, so to me its a no brainer. For the tenths that the ctsv has over our cars, they can keep the american junk.
The following users liked this post:
sarchib (08-04-2021)
Old 08-27-2009, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Amazing car, I drove one just to make sure I was doing the right thing getting the C63, and no doubt, for my needs, the AMG trumped it in every way.

The Caddy is a great car, but not for me. It delivered absolutely zero feel from the road...you felt completely disconnected by this huge, burly, oafish car. It may handle great but it sure didnt feel that way...did not feel nimble at all. The car drove you versus you driving the car. It was fast, no doubt, but that was about it - the C63 is 10x more fun even in a straight line because in the Caddy youre just along for the ride. I also felt the interior was nice, but tried to be a little too much. They blew it by not having true paddle shifters, that adds a whole different dimension to driving.

Overall the car just felt too big and too bulky for me, and the fun factor just wasnt there like it is with the AMG. Great car, not for me.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by BI-TURBO-LOVER
Hi we all know the c63 puts out 451hp, But the CTS-V puts out 555 or soemting like that, C63 runs 0-60 3.9 seconds and 12.3 quartermile. the CTS-V does 0-60 in 3.9 seconds and 12 flat at 118 tested by motor trend. Everyone including my friends are saying how the CTS-V is so much better and faster then the c63 and even the m5 and is near Z06 straight line speed. Do you guys think that the CTS-V its more well rounded car then the c63, And do u think if mercedes made it 518hp like the e63, it would outpeform the cts-v in a straightline. p-s dont jus say the c63 is better because its a mb forum or because u own 1

The CTS-V is a faster car stock for stock. I almost pulled the trigger on one and got the C63 instead for many reasons.

1. GM quality. MB is better.
2. Supercharged vs NA. NA is so much better.
3. Money. CTSV 58K WITH employee discount. C63. 52,200.
4. Performance. ECU flash and you are as fast as a CTSV.
5. Appeal. People turn to look at a MB. Not so much for a caddy.
6. Looks. The C63 is a much better looking car.
7. The exhaust note. The C63 sounds SOOOO much better. less whine more motor. Hence the NA.

The couple of places that makes the CTSV better in my opinion is its faster and its bigger. The C63 is a small car. Also the CTSV interior is really nice. Much flashier than a C63. Cost. If you need new rotors on a CTSV it will cost you $800 for 4. It will cost you $3600 on the MB.

Just FYI: The C63 goes 0-60 in 4.3 not 3.9. The CTSV does it in 4.2. The C63 does the 1/4 in 12.3. The CTSV in 12.2. The CTSV will do the twisties better.

If I was buying strictly a track car? Hmmm... Still tough choice but I might go with the CTSV and debage her.

Last edited by propain; 08-27-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Originally Posted by propain
The CTS-V is a faster car stock for stock. I almost pulled the trigger on one and got the C63 instead for many reasons.

1. GM quality. MB is better.
2. Supercharged vs NA. NA is so much better.
3. Money. CTSV 58K WITH employee discount. C63. 52,200.
4. Performance. ECU flash and you are as fast as a CTSV.
5. Appeal. People turn to look at a MB. Not so much for a caddy.
6. Looks. The C63 is a much better looking car.
7. The exhaust note. The C63 sounds SOOOO much better. less whine more motor. Hence the NA.

The couple of places that makes the CTSV better in my opinion is its faster and its bigger. The C63 is a small car. Also the CTSV interior is really nice. Much flashier than a C63. Cost. If you need new rotors on a CTSV it will cost you $800 for 4. It will cost you $3600 on the MB.

Just FYI: The C63 goes 0-60 in 4.3 not 3.9. The CTSV does it in 4.2. The C63 does the 1/4 in 12.3. The CTSV in 12.2. The CTSV will do the twisties better.

If I was buying strictly a track car? Hmmm... Still tough choice but I might go with the CTSV and debage her.

I think I saw a post that the CTS-V is making 600whp with tune and pulley.

I prefer factory forced induction anyday over n/a. Look at the 2003-2006 E55.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
a tuned c63 will beat a CTS-V. been there done that.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by Ubergeist
I think I saw a post that the CTS-V is making 600whp with tune and pulley.

I prefer factory forced induction anyday over n/a. Look at the 2003-2006 E55.
No way the CTSV is making 600 WHP with a pulley and a tune. Im not saying its impossible to get 600 WHP out of the V im just saying your going to need to do more than that.

For 600WHP your talking about taking the CTSV up to 750HP. Thats a 200HP gain from a pulley and a tune? I think not..

Either way, The C63 is already keeping up with the CTSV and its NA. Put a supercharger on the C63 and forget it.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by iatacs19
I don't own a CTS-V, but I did spend some time at the dealer just sitting in it and I didn't like the ergonomics of the interior. I know the C63's interior feels somewhat cheap, but the CTS-V's interior was not executed very well.

There was just too much glossy black everywhere in contrast with the chrome trims and textured aluminum. I did like the leather dash, that is true sport/luxury.

I am sure no one disputes the stock performance for the CTS-V, but there are other things to consider because you will be inside the car every time you drive it.
Thats why im in a C63.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:52 PM

2014 CTS-V (6spd, phantom grey), 2010 Cadillac Escalade ESV (black raven)
I test drove the CTS-V about a month ago. Eventhough I know the stats tell me that it is faster than my M5, it did not FEEL faster. I did a few stop light peel outs (and scared the salesman), and it just did not feel as connect or as fast. Probably because the Caddy is a few hundred pounds heavier than the M5, which makes it feel less connected.
If I didn't need the space, would probably get the C63, but I definitely need a larger sedan.
I'm waiting to see the new E63 when it comes out this fall...
Old 08-27-2009, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by rory breaker
Amazing car, I drove one just to make sure I was doing the right thing getting the C63, and no doubt, for my needs, the AMG trumped it in every way.

The Caddy is a great car, but not for me. It delivered absolutely zero feel from the road...you felt completely disconnected by this huge, burly, oafish car. It may handle great but it sure didnt feel that way...did not feel nimble at all. The car drove you versus you driving the car. It was fast, no doubt, but that was about it - the C63 is 10x more fun even in a straight line because in the Caddy youre just along for the ride. I also felt the interior was nice, but tried to be a little too much. They blew it by not having true paddle shifters, that adds a whole different dimension to driving.

Overall the car just felt too big and too bulky for me, and the fun factor just wasnt there like it is with the AMG. Great car, not for me.
+1. I couldn't have said it any better. I drove a CTS-V and the only thing I was really impressed by was the interior electronics (surpringly too, since usually GM isn't usually known for their high-tech gadgetry. ). The CTS-V felt very large and heavy to me; not nearly as tossable and connected to the road as the MB C63 AMG. Like Rory said, it's definitely fast as *****, but the C63 AMG is almost as fast and SOUNDS much faster! In addition, the CTS-V interior feels very cramped and has way too much chrome accents EVERYWHERE GM could possibly put it...blech!

btw -- when I went into my local Caddy dealer and test drove the CTS-V about 2 months ago, they weren't giving any real good discounts either and no 0% financing on the CTS-V.....no wonder GM couldn't sell cars, they filed Ch. 11, forced us taxpayers to us bail them out and had the U.S. Gov't take over...as$holes!!!!

Last edited by sflgator; 08-27-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 4matic
i drove the cts-v on a 50 mile test drive. its fast. beastly.... but lacks the sole of the Merc. it is bigger inside which was nice... im 6-1 230. but im afraid of build quality, plus i have always wanted a merc. its a nice car. buy the one that speaks to you. the exhaust on the C63 is SICK and everyone who has heard it (age range between 15-65) agrees! simply the best sounding car i have ever heard. i almost prefer it over an F car. not so loud and in your face but muscular and ballsy.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:43 PM

2007 Corvette Z06/2011 BMW M3
Originally Posted by 1st amg
No comparison in sound is the biggy for me, we have this monster V8 that sounds muscular and exotic...the ctsv sounds like crap, even if they went and put an aftermarket exhaust it still doesnt have the character of our AMG powerplant, so to me its a no brainer. For the tenths that the ctsv has over our cars, they can keep the american junk.
I like the C63, but show me one that sounds as good as this CTS-V?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBaSnXlgZlY

Character?
Old 08-27-2009, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 w211 E55
Originally Posted by 6.3AMG

Character?
That is ridiculous !
Old 08-28-2009, 01:23 AM

'09 C63 AMG, '06 CTS-V
Originally Posted by 6.3AMG

Character?
Admittedly, it sounds great. However, here is what it takes to get that and drown out the factory whine.

The V700 Package Includes:
4 inch Cold Air Induction System
Supercharger Pulley & Snout Upgrade
Engine Management Software Upgrade
Long Tube 1 7/8 inch Stainless Steel Headers
3 inch Stainless Mid Pipes
High Flow Catalytic Converters
Intercooler Heat Exchanger System Upgrade
V700 Camshaft Upgrade
V700 High Flow Cylinder Heads
160 Degree Thermostat
Hennessey Embroidered Head Rests
Serial Numbered Dash Plaque
Serial Numbered Plaque in Engine Compartment
Available as a mail order kit and installed and dyno tuned at HPE

First, it is news to me character can be bought. But since it can, ummm... how much does it cost?
Old 08-28-2009, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Exactly as I stated before, stock C63 vs stock CTSV, no comparison. That car is not stock, come on, even friggin cylinder head and camshaft upgrades??
Old 08-28-2009, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by thwalkerjr
Admittedly, it sounds great. However, here is what it takes to get that and drown out the factory whine.

The V700 Package Includes:
4 inch Cold Air Induction System
Supercharger Pulley & Snout Upgrade
Engine Management Software Upgrade
Long Tube 1 7/8 inch Stainless Steel Headers
3 inch Stainless Mid Pipes
High Flow Catalytic Converters
Intercooler Heat Exchanger System Upgrade
V700 Camshaft Upgrade
V700 High Flow Cylinder Heads
160 Degree Thermostat
Hennessey Embroidered Head Rests
Serial Numbered Dash Plaque
Serial Numbered Plaque in Engine Compartment
Available as a mail order kit and installed and dyno tuned at HPE

First, it is news to me character can be bought. But since it can, ummm... how much does it cost?
I thought a pulley and a tune gets you 750HP on the CTSV.

Kidding.. it wasnt you who said it.. I forgot who said it..
Old 08-28-2009, 07:39 PM

Volvo C30 R-design, CL63 AMG
^^^^

I believe it was ubergeist
Old 08-29-2009, 03:59 PM

2003 SRT10
Why does everyone keep comparing a tuned C63 to the stock CTS-V? Stock to stock the Caddy whips it. Caddy probably has a slight edge on quality also. If you spend an evening on this forum it seems MBenz can't keep a car together.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by isellpower
Why does everyone keep comparing a tuned C63 to the stock CTS-V? Stock to stock the Caddy whips it. Caddy probably has a slight edge on quality also. If you spend an evening on this forum it seems MBenz can't keep a car together.
Why do you comment at all when you don’t own either car? Your obviously here because you’re a fan boy of MB, yet you seem to be slamming them. Or did you go out of your way to register an account just so you cant slam MB? LOL. Seems like someone is a little jealous..

Whips it? No. Unless you consider 1/10 of a second a whipping.

Has a slight performance edge... Yes.

Quality? No. I agree it looks good but GM sneaks in a lot of cheap quality parts all over that car. MB is a way better engineered car.

Sorry, I had to edit for the price factor. 65K for a GM caddy?? LOL.. No.. With employee discount I was able to get them down to 58K. I got a superior product in MB for 52K.

Last edited by propain; 08-29-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:20 PM

2009 C63 AMG, 2013 ML350 BlueTec, 2012 VW GLI
Cool Wait till next year!

After a year or so you should see pieces of the Caddy on the ground, then try to whip a 63.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:35 AM

'09 C63 AMG, '06 CTS-V
Originally Posted by Morro
After a year or so you should see pieces of the Caddy on the ground, then try to whip a 63.
That's very generous of you to give it a year before this happens.

We have not heard from EricPD lately, but I think we may be talking a few short months!!
Old 08-30-2009, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by thwalkerjr
That's very generous of you to give it a year before this happens.

We have not heard from EricPD lately, but I think we may be talking a few short months!!
In my first 30K miles in my 2004 V I had:

My tranny mounts replaced.
My rear replaced
My NAV replaced due to peeling buttons
My Alt replaced due to battery charge problems.
My battery replaced because the alt didnt completely fix the problem
My Radiator replace due to it leaking.... somewhere...
My headrest replaced.
My ECU flashed due to some recall
My center console compartment clip and plastic
The front right fender moldings came loose and rubbed on the tire.

Thats it...

30K miles. 4 weeks total in the dealership.

GM Quality:

If you dont believe me I have the posts to prove it on a GM site. The CTSV was a fun and fast car to drive, but there is a reason why its the only car in my sig that I sold.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Who let this goof on here? The fact that we have numerous former or current CTSV owners on here and have nothing but long lists of "shop days" with their car speaks volumes of quality. As stated before, where is the AMG owner EricPD who purchased a CTSV because he couldnt negotiate on a C63, he must be so saaad that he could have gotten a C63 if he waited a couple of months or so. He loved his CTSV but would have rather bought the C63. Anyway, who cares, buy what you want......how is that 2003 SRT10? You must have a little box/bin in your garage designated for the nuts and bolts that fall off that car on a weekly basis.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:06 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by 1st amg
Who let this goof on here? The fact that we have numerous former or current CTSV owners on here and have nothing but long lists of "shop days" with their car speaks volumes of quality. As stated before, where is the AMG owner EricPD who purchased a CTSV because he couldnt negotiate on a C63, he must be so saaad that he could have gotten a C63 if he waited a couple of months or so. He loved his CTSV but would have rather bought the C63. Anyway, who cares, buy what you want......how is that 2003 SRT10? You must have a little box/bin in your garage designated for the nuts and bolts that fall off that car on a weekly basis.
you should see what C32/55 owners "shop days" experiences.

two generations of the C-class and two generations of the CTS. previous experience doesn't apply. leave it to the new CTS-V owner to comment on that.

personally I'd take the M3 or IS-F over either one. OR the M5 or E63 if I want something that weight more than 4000lbs. straight line isn't everything.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63 VS CTS-V