Sponsored by:

ethanol in gas, bad or good for our cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
ethanol in gas, bad or good for our cars

I have heard that its bad on the catalytic converters, but thats just a rumor i've heard.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
15 GLA 45, 09 C63, 06 WRX STi
so what if they are bad on the cats? They are there for emissions, so unless your a tree hugger it does not matter what happens to the cats.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
What cats?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Audi RS7
hhughes1 - What cats?

Now thats funny!!! Speak up, I can't hear you.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:01 AM

C63
Originally Posted by hhughes1
What cats?
Small fury animals, but thats another subject.

i heard it could stop up the converters, robbing the car of power.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
All gas now contains ethanol. MTBE, the previous add in to gas, was banned by uncle sam. Search google.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:21 AM

C63
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
All gas now contains ethanol. MTBE, the previous add in to gas, was banned by uncle sam. Search google.
incorrect, i have a station right down the road that has a big sign ( our gas contains NO ETHANOL) when i loaded up with the 93 non ethanol my car seemed to run a little better.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by dmyrick
incorrect, i have a station right down the road that has a big sign ( our gas contains NO ETHANOL) when i loaded up with the 93 non ethanol my car seemed to run a little better.
You can still get 100% gas in the US. Wisconsin, Iowa,Texas,Nebraska and a few other southern states have 100% you just have to look for it.

Yes, running your car on a Non Ethanol blend is much better for gas mileage and heat. Ethanol burns very hot. This is why race cars run on Alcohol, it burns much cooler, though you do need more volume.

In the end, if you have a choice, use the Non Ethanol blend. Its better all around.

In my opinion all cars should run on Alcohol. Its cleaner, burns cooler and overall safer in crashes.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by propain
You can still get 100% gas in the US. Wisconsin, Iowa,Texas,Nebraska and a few other southern states have 100% you just have to look for it.

Yes, running your car on a Non Ethanol blend is much better for gas mileage and heat. Ethanol burns very hot. This is why race cars run on Alcohol, it burns much cooler, though you do need more volume.

In the end, if you have a choice, use the Non Ethanol blend. Its better all around.

In my opinion all cars should run on Alcohol. Its cleaner, burns cooler and overall safer in crashes.
Not all true my friend:

CART uses ethanol becuase it gives off NO polutants, except water vapor.
As far as safer in crashes, well lets just say NO, as you CAN"T see it burning. Hence I have seen MANY CART drivers doing the old gorund roll when they are actually on FIRE.

YES, you are better off without Ethanol, as it takes twice as much ethanol, per volume, to equal pure gasoline in SHC, or specific heat contant. Simply put, you need twice as much ethanol as you do gas. Ethanol is a 1-7 ratio to air, while gas is 1-14. Approxiamtely

Ethanol is used as a CHEAP octane boost, as well as a "renewable" source. THANK YOU UNCLE SAM

PS: Those small $1-2 dollar cans of octane booster that are sold, are the MOST expensive cans of alcohol you will ever buy. SAVE YOUR MONEY.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Not all true my friend:

CART uses ethanol becuase it gives off NO polutants, except water vapor.
As far as safer in crashes, well lets just say NO, as you CAN"T see it burning. Hence I have seen MANY CART drivers doing the old gorund roll when they are actually on FIRE.

YES, you are better off without Ethanol, as it takes twice as much ethanol, per volume, to equal pure gasoline in SHC, or specific heat contant. Simply put, you need twice as much ethanol as you do gas. Ethanol is a 1-7 ratio to air, while gas is 1-14. Approxiamtely

Ethanol is used as a CHEAP octane boost, as well as a "renewable" source. THANK YOU UNCLE SAM

PS: Those small $1-2 dollar cans of octane booster that are sold, are the MOST expensive cans of alcohol you will ever buy. SAVE YOUR MONEY.

What’s not all true?

Where did I write Ethanol is a pollutant?

Ethanol fuel used in Indy cars has the advantage that it can run at extremely high compression ratios. Ethanol also has a nice safety feature, you can extinguish a ethanol fire with water. Good luck doing that with oily gas.

Ethanol is essentially grain alcohol, they add Gas to it to make it a government legal fuel or you could drink it and get wasted! This also makes you wrong about the safety feature. The gas additive makes the flame burn orange. You must be thinking back in the day when they ran Methanol. That fuel burned completely clear.

Ethanol is less fuel efficient. Burns much hotter than gas. It arguably takes more energy to make it than it creates and it add to global warming almost as much as gas. It it not the holy grail of alternative fuel.

Last edited by propain; 09-03-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:19 PM

C63

Thanks for the post propain, I take from this thread that real gas will give me better fuel efficiency slightly more power and is better for my engine.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by dmyrick
Thanks for the post propain, I take from this thread that real gas will give me better fuel efficiency slightly more power and is better for my engine.
For sure. Based on the additive. You will probably get about 10% more fuel efficiency on pure gas.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
What’s not all true?

Where did I write Ethanol is a pollutant?

Ethanol fuel used in Indy cars has the advantage that it can run at extremely high compression ratios. Ethanol also has a nice safety feature, you can extinguish a ethanol fire with water. Good luck doing that with oily gas.

Ethanol is essentially grain alcohol, they add Gas to it to make it a government legal fuel or you could drink it and get wasted! This also makes you wrong about the safety feature. The gas additive makes the flame burn orange. You must be thinking back in the day when they ran Methanol. That fuel burned completely clear.

Ethanol is less fuel efficient. Burns much hotter than gas. It arguably takes more energy to make it than it creates and it add to global warming almost as much as gas. It it not the holy grail of alternative fuel.
A little reading for you my friend

http://marcoandretti.com/07/car.htm

And a little more

http://www.projectgaia.com/solution.html

By the way, did you notive the BIG statement AKA LESS heat

It is NOT drinkable, sorry

Last edited by MRAMG1; 09-03-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
A little reading for you my friend

http://marcoandretti.com/07/car.htm

It is NOT drinkable, sorry

As stated "My Friend" its not drinkable because they add gas to it.

http://www.southridgeethanol.com/ethanol_quickfacts.php

It's The Real Thing
Pure ethanol is drinkable alcohol, the intoxicating kind. If you know how to ferment beer, you know how to make ethanol. So that people won't drink it, a small amount of gasoline is added in at the end of processing to make it unfit to ingest.
Get a clue "my friend"
Old 09-03-2009, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
As stated "My Friend" its not drinkable because they add gas to it.

Get a clue "my friend"
NO:

It is not drinkable because of many OTHER reasons, NOT gasoline.

Live it, learn it, Love it Mr Spakoly

Old 09-03-2009, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
NO:

It is not drinkable because of many OTHER reasons, NOT gasoline.

Live it, learn it, Love it Mr Spakoly

Sure.. just ignore the information on the site of the people who manufacture the Ethanol and spew some garbage. That will convince me.

You are wrong, you have been proven wrong many times in this thread. Just lower your head and walk away now before you embarrass yourself some more.

Last edited by propain; 09-03-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:54 PM

BMW 335i, Ducati 996, Mercedes C63 AMG
This is becoming a useless thread.....