Sponsored by:

Surprised with color of coolant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63, r320 bluetec
Surprised with color of coolant

Both my wifes R320 blutec and my c63 recently started displaying a low coolant warning so I searched for the Zerex G-05 coolant at the local parts stores with no success so my wife headed over to the local MB dealer for a gallon of their finest ($18/gallon).

I filled my wifes first with 2 cups of 50/50 mix. The coolant in the tank was yellow and so is the mercedes stuff. Go to the c63 and the coolant is blue. I figured it would be yellow too. Both manuals recommended the same MB stuff to refill, so I did with a couple cups of the yellow stuff.

Is the blue stuff commonplace with the c63's or is mine different?
Old 09-12-2009, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a durr
Well coolant is basically anti-freeze mixed with water.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:32 AM

c63, r320 bluetec
Originally Posted by yooker
Well coolant is basically anti-freeze mixed with water.
Well, sure, but what color is yours?

My understanding is that the MB antifreeze is not usually blue in color. I'm just trying to see if someone at the dealer put in the wrong stuff.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63, SLK, F150
Hummmm..... sounds like you were looking in the windsheild washer container. look on the other side.....Joke....
Old 09-12-2009, 08:32 PM

99C43 05C55 06slk55
yes the r class will have the yellow looking coolant all trucks made in the us will have it, your c63 will use the blue coolant it is ok to mix them. but you can just add water.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Factory fill in many late model MBs/AMGs is indeed the blue stuff. Don’t know why.

Subsequent cooling system fluid exchanges and topping up on mine have been with MB’s OE HOAT formula and distilled water. ~$15 a gallon street price. Ashland (Valvoline) formulates and packages their North American blend under license. The McParts OTC G-05 blend is only slightly less expensive. Incidentally, they’re both yellow.

Of more concern may be why yours are ostensibly consuming antifreeze. Note that some older models illuminate the ‘low coolant’ warning lamp when, in fact, it’s the windscreen/headlamp washer reservoir’s fluid that is depleted. Don’t suspect that’s the case here. Some slight replenishment owing to normal long term evaporation is to be expected. Anything beyond that and internal or external leakage may be the culprit. It you find it’s a recurring issue, perhaps a chat with your SA or SM is in order.

Somewhat dated but still pertinent info on MB’s antifreeze formulation rationale…
https://www.mbwholesaleparts.com/Sta...iFreeDec04.pdf