Sponsored by:

[Info] New iPod Interfacing with Integration Kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 Arctic White C63 AMG
[Info] New iPod Interfacing with Integration Kit

Since I bought my C63 about 2 weeks and some days ago, I've always wondered why my iPhone/iPod Touch won't work with the built-in iPod Integration Kit that came with my car. I cracked open the manual and it said that it works for all the other, click-wheel type iPods, but not the newer iTouch and iPhones. This proved to be a problem for me; the only iPods I own now are iPod Touches, or my iPhone.

So I began doing some research; first I used my Teleaid (have to make use of all these cool features we get) and asked about the issue. They told me that I would have to get a new wire for the iPod Intergration Kit. This confused me, considering I have a new '09 model. Why wouldn't they just put in the newer cables in a new model car if they already had them manufactured? I asked about the price for these new cables, and they said it was something like $150 plus labor at my local Benz dealership. Basically, it was going to be somewhat expensive just for being able to interface my iPods; it would have been cheaper just to buy an iPod that I CAN use in the car.

So I continued researching and found a much better solution: Scosche Charging Adapter. Basically, its a small little adapter that you plug your interface cable into, and your new iPod into the adapter. It's a small adapter, so it doesn't take up any space. Here's the link: http://scosche.com/products/productID/1667. Best of all, it's only $29.99. This will make your newer iPods interface within the COMAND system without a hitch, without having to pay for a brand new cable. I recommend this to everyone who wants to be able to use their newer iPods with their COMAND system.

I'm not sure how many people have faced this issue, but I figured I'd just put up a post with my findings so people can find a solution to the problem if they're faced with it, without having to pay a lot of cash. Hope this helps!
Old 09-13-2009, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a durr
Does anyone have a DIY for the iPod integration kit?
Old 09-13-2009, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
I have the new cable installed in my car by the dealership at no charge. They can replace it under warranty. The new cable has a black plug vs. the white plug of the original kit.
http://www.mercupgrades.com/IPOD+Ret...rticle-35.html
Old 09-13-2009, 06:07 PM

'09 Arctic White C63 AMG
I have the black plug, and it still doesn't interface with the iPod Touches or iPhones.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:12 PM

axe muderer with headlights
The new cable will allow you to charge your newer iPod/iPhone as covered here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...le-update.html

I haven't heard or read anything about being able to control Apple products on the COMMAND dash screen with the knob.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C63 AMG Arctic w/ Stage 1 Tune, DoubleXX pipe, MCD-631X coming soon
Originally Posted by iatacs19
The new cable will allow you to charge your newer iPod/iPhone as covered here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...le-update.html

I haven't heard or read anything about being able to control Apple products on the COMMAND dash screen with the knob.
Yes, I'm interested too
Old 09-13-2009, 08:21 PM

'09 Arctic White C63 AMG
What I meant by 'interface' with the command system is it will work with it. Sorry if that came across differently haha. Anyways, I wasn't aware that there was already a thread up about this whole thing, but I figured some people could use this information. I'll call my local dealership to ask if they will give me a new cable under warranty.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:58 PM

2009 C63 K1
I have the I-touch and it has always worked with my car. Not with the Command System wheel but with the steering wheel controls. Am I missing something? I-Phone works too.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Originally Posted by ronak223
Since I bought my C63 about 2 weeks and some days ago, I've always wondered why my iPhone/iPod Touch won't work with the built-in iPod Integration Kit that came with my car. I cracked open the manual and it said that it works for all the other, click-wheel type iPods, but not the newer iTouch and iPhones. This proved to be a problem for me; the only iPods I own now are iPod Touches, or my iPhone.

So I began doing some research; first I used my Teleaid (have to make use of all these cool features we get) and asked about the issue. They told me that I would have to get a new wire for the iPod Intergration Kit. This confused me, considering I have a new '09 model. Why wouldn't they just put in the newer cables in a new model car if they already had them manufactured? I asked about the price for these new cables, and they said it was something like $150 plus labor at my local Benz dealership. Basically, it was going to be somewhat expensive just for being able to interface my iPods; it would have been cheaper just to buy an iPod that I CAN use in the car.

So I continued researching and found a much better solution: Scosche Charging Adapter. Basically, its a small little adapter that you plug your interface cable into, and your new iPod into the adapter. It's a small adapter, so it doesn't take up any space. Here's the link: http://scosche.com/products/productID/1667. Best of all, it's only $29.99. This will make your newer iPods interface within the COMAND system without a hitch, without having to pay for a brand new cable. I recommend this to everyone who wants to be able to use their newer iPods with their COMAND system.

I'm not sure how many people have faced this issue, but I figured I'd just put up a post with my findings so people can find a solution to the problem if they're faced with it, without having to pay a lot of cash. Hope this helps!
May I assume that you actually bought and tried this and that it works?
Old 09-14-2009, 07:23 AM

'09 Arctic White C63 AMG
Originally Posted by yaymitch
I have the I-touch and it has always worked with my car. Not with the Command System wheel but with the steering wheel controls. Am I missing something? I-Phone works too.
Really? That's strange...they most definitely do NOT work with mine. The screen shows that "this accessory does not support charging" or something of that nature.

Originally Posted by cyberorth
May I assume that you actually bought and tried this and that it works?
Of course. You can use the iPods the way the original cable allows the use of them.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by yaymitch
You are correct, it does work with the white ended cable as advertised by MB.

The only issue was that it wasn't charging when plugged in. With the new black ended cable any Apple product will charge while connected to the iPod integration kit.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK CHECK THIS OUT

I bought the: http://scosche.com/products/productID/1667

I plugged my iPhone...and it WORKS. My iPhone did NOT work through my apple integration cable. Only ipod worked.

BUT

I then plugged the iPhone directly to the car without the gadget and...it WORKED just as well.

I think that between the time I tried my iPhone last time (late 08) and now, the OS updates allow for the integration to work.

Your thoughts?
Old 10-01-2009, 07:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by cyberorth
OK CHECK THIS OUT

I bought the: http://scosche.com/products/productID/1667

I plugged my iPhone...and it WORKS. My iPhone did NOT work through my apple integration cable. Only ipod worked.

BUT

I then plugged the iPhone directly to the car without the gadget and...it WORKED just as well.

I think that between the time I tried my iPhone last time (late 08) and now, the OS updates allow for the integration to work.

Your thoughts?
+1, except I bought the Scosche charging adapter for my iPod on Amazon.com, and now my iPod gets charged while plugged in. I know there's a TSB to get a new, updated charging cable but I figured instead of having the MB dealer rip apart my dash/glovebox, etc. to switch out the cable, I would just use this charging adapter for $25...works great!
Old 10-01-2009, 08:31 PM

C63 AMG / B8 A4
i can plug my iphone 3g and when I go to Audio, Aux, it starts playing, but I cant control the songs, it just plays straight through. Is this how it suppossed to work?
Old 10-01-2009, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by EuroB6
i can plug my iphone 3g and when I go to Audio, Aux, it starts playing, but I cant control the songs, it just plays straight through. Is this how it suppossed to work?
You should be able to control through your steering wheel buttons and you can see the song name in your center dash display (but no display in the MM screen); I can when I have my iPod connected to it, and now with the charging adapter, my iPod gets charged as well.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:22 PM

I just installed the new cable, my iPhone 3GS charges and I can control the iPod functions through the gauge cluster.

I CANNOT control the iPod function through the COMMAND screen.

It's a shortcoming of the MB COMMAND system, it's either crippled or just primitive, BMW is light years ahead in this area. I guess I can charge my phone in the car now without needing any stupid adapters...
Attached Thumbnails [Info] New iPod Interfacing with Integration Kit-photo-2-.jpg  
Old 10-02-2009, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by iatacs19
I just installed the new cable, my iPhone 3GS charges and I can control the iPod functions through the gauge cluster.

I CANNOT control the iPod function through the COMMAND screen.

It's a shortcoming of the MB COMMAND system, it's either crippled or just primitive, BMW is light years ahead in this area. I guess I can charge my phone in the car now without needing any stupid adapters...
Our 09 GL450 can control iphone through comand. Many MBs can. Remember that the C is the 'basic' MB / entry level.