Renntech tune on the way.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 05:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Renntech tune on the way.

I just ordered a new ECU from the dealership so I have the stock one and a tuned one to switch when I go in for servicing.

Im sending the second ECU to Renntech for the second tune package they offer, 511hp.

I will be getting the secondary cats removed, which Renntech said is good for another 10hp.

I will update this thread once the ECU is returned to me and give you my impressions.

I've gone through 5 sets of rear tires and 1 front set in 18000KM. I drive the **** out of this car. I've gone to the track drifting and 1/4times in it so I will try give my best details of how its changed. If the change isn't enough for me, I may add the MHP long tube headers to this tune to see how they will add power.

Should be about a week or so from now when I get the tuned ecu back.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Lotus Evora S
Congrats. You may want to also remove the charcoal filters at the same time.

When I did K1, I thought about the second ECU too which is the way to go to be super safe with service and warranty. As Cory at Kleemann has backed up my original ECU, I could always decide to do that later. I'll wait until my first service (in 8,000 km or so) to see how it goes with the dealership.

Keep us posted!
Old 09-20-2009, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by Merc63
I just ordered a new ECU from the dealership so I have the stock one and a tuned one to switch when I go in for servicing.

Im sending the second ECU to Renntech for the second tune package they offer, 511hp.

I will be getting the secondary cats removed, which Renntech said is good for another 10hp.

I will update this thread once the ECU is returned to me and give you my impressions.

I've gone through 5 sets of rear tires and 1 front set in 18000KM. I drive the **** out of this car. I've gone to the track drifting and 1/4times in it so I will try give my best details of how its changed. If the change isn't enough for me, I may add the MHP long tube headers to this tune to see how they will add power.

Should be about a week or so from now when I get the tuned ecu back.
How much was the ECU? Thats what ill be doing as well. Im not taking any chances on losing my warranty.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 F150 FX4 SCrew. '14 S212S
doesn't the dealer need a vin or something when ordering an ECU? Do they not have to program it for the car?
Old 09-20-2009, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Great VIN questions that I also would like an answer. Didn't know that removing the secondary CATS gave another 10 HP.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:20 PM

2014 Lotus Evora S
Originally Posted by benyl
doesn't the dealer need a vin or something when ordering an ECU? Do they not have to program it for the car?
My understanding is that MB (not the aftermarket shops) is the one doing the initialization of the new ECU and for that, they need the VIN.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
The best thing about getting the 2nd ecu is for service. They don't need u vin to order u ecu all u need is the part number. Then they need to vin code you spear to your original ecu. (takes 15 min for mb to do)
Old 09-20-2009, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
Great choice on the ecu flash tune; here's my stage 2 (ecu 2 upgrade) RENNtech dyno and numbers from last week (dyno'd @ the RENNtech facility) ...

https://mbworld.org/forums/3721215-post51.html

btw -- you're going to love your new RENNtech C63 AMG!!!

Last edited by sflgator; 09-20-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:17 PM

C63
Originally Posted by sflgator
Great choice on the ecu flash tune; here's my stage 2 (ecu 2 upgrade) RENNtech dyno and numbers from last week (dyno'd @ the RENNtech facility) ...

https://mbworld.org/forums/3721215-post51.html

btw -- you're going to love your new RENNtech C63 AMG!!!
Don't mean to be nosey but how is a Reentech 2 upgrade?
Old 09-20-2009, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by dmyrick
Don't mean to be nosey but how is a Reentech 2 upgrade?
Old 09-20-2009, 10:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 F150 FX4 SCrew. '14 S212S
Originally Posted by mthis
The best thing about getting the 2nd ecu is for service. They don't need u vin to order u ecu all u need is the part number. Then they need to vin code you spear to your original ecu. (takes 15 min for mb to do)
What do you say? My last ECU was fried? wouldn't it be covered under warranty?
Old 09-20-2009, 11:47 PM

C63 AMG
Mmm second ECU...nice
Old 09-21-2009, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anything W/4Wheels
Originally Posted by benyl
What do you say? My last ECU was fried? wouldn't it be covered under warranty?
sure it should be covered, why did it get fried.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anything W/4Wheels
BTW guys whats a renntech c63 PKG 3. putting down to the wheels.
i saw on there web sire that its $13,290.00 for tune. s.s headers (Not sure if they long tubes or shorty's i know they offer both) airbox and sound pipe mod.

Last edited by mthis; 09-21-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Mthis: It has the average power gains from the package on the webpage. The headers are shorty. You can't do LT unless you delete the cats. Renntech doesn't touch the primary cats only the secondary with the sound pipe(rear cat delete)

I have a friend that works at the dealership, so I got the ECU at near cost price, 1900CND.

They need the VIN to get the part number to order it. Once its in, you have to take the car in for them to program the ECU to the car. Once that's complete you can send it away for tuning. Programming is about 2hrs at the dealership.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:35 AM

2014 Lotus Evora S
Mthis: It has the average power gains from the package on the webpage. The headers are shorty. You can't do LT unless you delete the cats. Renntech doesn't touch the primary cats only the secondary with the sound pipe(rear cat delete)

I have a friend that works at the dealership, so I got the ECU at near cost price, 1900CND.

They need the VIN to get the part number to order it. Once its in, you have to take the car in for them to program the ECU to the car. Once that's complete you can send it away for tuning. Programming is about 2hrs at the dealership.
In which part of Canada are you? Do you know a mod friendly dealership?
Old 09-21-2009, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anything W/4Wheels

I have a spear ecu I went threw this alredy it take mb 15 to vin code u ecu. And u can get the part #'s by looking at the top of the ecu.

As far as the headers go I could swear I saw something on renntech lt's. But then again I could be wrong and I was looking at the shorty's.

I see review on the pkg2 that they have gains of 85rw hp. The tune giving 62rw and airbox and sound pipe mod made 23 rw what's the headers making? From my math just does mod will have u over 560 hp on 18% drive train loss. renntech ads show the lowest numbers possible on there site.

Last edited by mthis; 09-21-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Mr. Happy
In which part of Canada are you? Do you know a mod friendly dealership?
Alberta, no they aren't mod friendly. That's another reason I got 2 ecu's. Im going to put the stock one in when its time for service.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
Alberta, no they aren't mod friendly. That's another reason I got 2 ecu's. Im going to put the stock one in when its time for service.
Did they ask you for whatever reason you want a second ECU, I am thinking of doing the same thing as you, just not sure how to keep it "top secret" as I may need a justifiable answer for having TWO ecu's.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63, SLK, F150
So does the ECU contain any info that would be controdictive to another computer unit? What computer or controler handles the milage, engine hours run, and so on Where is that info kept? Is there a link or match to that computer to the ECU as a double check? I am sure you can come up with something like OH car was struck by lightning and shorted out ECU so had to change it
Old 09-22-2009, 08:42 PM

2014 Lotus Evora S
Originally Posted by 1st amg
Did they ask you for whatever reason you want a second ECU, I am thinking of doing the same thing as you, just not sure how to keep it "top secret" as I may need a justifiable answer for having TWO ecu's.
I suggest that you informally check with the dealership in your region first. In Toronto, I'm told by the dealership that they "don't want to know" about ECU upgrades. Draw your own conclusions.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by 1st amg
Yes they asked me why I want a second ECU. I told them im going to get it tuned, they replied with "That will void the warranty if you do it"

They even wrote that it will void the warranty on the bill if I go through with it.

There is no way they can know if I went through with it, that's the point of having 2 ECUs. I plug in the stock one when I go to service. I also got the ECU at the dealership that I never go to. They have it recorded in their system, but that doesn't mean the other dealership would have access to those files. This is worse case scenario if I have to warranty something.

If something happens and I need warranty work, and they try denying it. It will have the stock ECU in it, untouched. I can always say I got scared of losing warranty and didn't go through with the tune and sold the ecu on ebay. There's no way they can prove I did use the tune ecu.

The MILEAGE is kept on a different system. I was too wondering about that, but it was left the same. The new ECU is sluggish compared to my stock one, my mechanic said it has to adapt to my driving. Even he said that my car is way more responsive then the other c63s he drives at work due to me driving the **** out out of it all the time. The shifts in sport mode also seemed to shift different as well.

My set position was lost with the new ecu, that was a ***** to get perfect again haha.

ECU is being shipped to Renntech tomorrow. I'm going to write a full review when I get it back.. Im not sure if it will have to adapt still. I only drove with it in about 15km.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anything W/4Wheels
Yes they asked me why I want a second ECU. I told them im going to get it tuned, they replied with "That will void the warranty if you do it"

They even wrote that it will void the warranty on the bill if I go through with it.

There is no way they can know if I went through with it, that's the point of having 2 ECUs. I plug in the stock one when I go to service. I also got the ECU at the dealership that I never go to. They have it recorded in their system, but that doesn't mean the other dealership would have access to those files. This is worse case scenario if I have to warranty something.

If something happens and I need warranty work, and they try denying it. It will have the stock ECU in it, untouched. I can always say I got scared of losing warranty and didn't go through with the tune and sold the ecu on ebay. There's no way they can prove I did use the tune ecu.

The MILEAGE is kept on a different system. I was too wondering about that, but it was left the same. The new ECU is sluggish compared to my stock one, my mechanic said it has to adapt to my driving. Even he said that my car is way more responsive then the other c63s he drives at work due to me driving the **** out out of it all the time. The shifts in sport mode also seemed to shift different as well.

My set position was lost with the new ecu, that was a ***** to get perfect again haha.

ECU is being shipped to Renntech tomorrow. I'm going to write a full review when I get it back.. Im not sure if it will have to adapt still. I only drove with it in about 15km.

hey if you dont mind can you ask renntech about longtube headers. i have a friend thats been looking around for renntech products and someone from florida in renntech toled him that if he does tune LT's and airbox and pully and soundpipe mod he will be at 495rw.(93 oct) can you just verify this info b/c this is new to me and does are the highest numbers i ever heard of. thanks
Old 09-23-2009, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by mthis
hey if you dont mind can you ask renntech about longtube headers. i have a friend thats been looking around for renntech products and someone from florida in renntech toled him that if he does tune LT's and airbox and pully and soundpipe mod he will be at 495rw.(93 oct) can you just verify this info b/c this is new to me and does are the highest numbers i ever heard of. thanks
Renntech said that adding LT headers to their tune is no problem and wont effect anything. You will probably get a check engine light though as they dont do the primary cat delete on any of their packages. He said something about the placement of the sensors will determine if your CEL comes on.. Do you guys with LT have the sensors in there still??
Old 09-23-2009, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Correction: Renntech has LT headers, but they do not delete the primary cats due to emissions.

I assume that is where these other LT headers are making most of the power is by deleting all 4 cats.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Renntech tune on the way.