Sponsored by:

New 2009 with 2008 build date

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 with Eurocharged tune and charcoal delete
New 2009 with 2008 build date

Wanted to get some opinions on this: I took deilvery of my C63 in August 2009 but the build date was December 2008. So the car obviously sat on a dealer lot for many months. Only had 12 miles on it when I picked it up. Should I do anything differently in terms of service due to the long time sitting? I asked the dealer and they said this happens all the time, just ignore it, follow the normal oil change interval, don't worry about it, etc. Do you guys agree with that? I guess my concern is with the oil sitting in the engine/crankcase for so long without being used. Any issues with sludge or anything else? Should I change the oil sooner than normal? I'm probably just being paranoid but it seems like that's a long time for a new car to sit without being driven. Any advice?
Old 10-20-2009, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
I had a similar situation, but it had sat at the distribution center. I broke it in, then changed the oil at 2,500 mi. They forgot to save some oil, so I couldn't do an analysis, or I would have more info..
Old 10-20-2009, 02:41 PM

axe muderer with headlights
Originally Posted by Palladin
Wanted to get some opinions on this: I took deilvery of my C63 in August 2009 but the build date was December 2008. So the car obviously sat on a dealer lot for many months. Only had 12 miles on it when I picked it up. Should I do anything differently in terms of service due to the long time sitting? I asked the dealer and they said this happens all the time, just ignore it, follow the normal oil change interval, don't worry about it, etc. Do you guys agree with that? I guess my concern is with the oil sitting in the engine/crankcase for so long without being used. Any issues with sludge or anything else? Should I change the oil sooner than normal? I'm probably just being paranoid but it seems like that's a long time for a new car to sit without being driven. Any advice?
To put your mind at ease, just change it at 1,000 miles or you can just change it now. Or wait until 12 months whichever is more convenient for you.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
fwiw, the same thing for me (a new E63): July 2008 build, on May 2009 I took delivery.

I called MBUSA and they suggested that I change the oil. We talked for a bit about cars sitting at the VPC and they said it's been such a unique situation this past year and a half to have so many cars just sitting. They also told me to ask the dealer for a price break. The dealer (where I bought it) ended up doing it for free.

The FSS is time based, too. So it will tell you to change the oil when the time comes; it's not just mileage based. You're almost due for the one year oil change as it is anyway.

Besides that, I always changed the factory break-in oil earlier then the mfg's suggestion on all new cars I've ever bought.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Palladin
that is a long time sitting at the distribution center or at the dealer. definitely get the oil changed at 1k miles and make sure the tires do not have flat spots or have any water damage around the sides.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 4matic
my 09 was the same situation. i think thats why some of us got such great deals. these cars just didnt move with the economy in the shape that its in. my dealer reset the dang service indicator when i bought it. it only had 9 miles on it. they said the oil was good for a year. but really? what does the dealer know? not a ton i can tell you that. im not super worried about it. no flat spot issues with the tires that i can tell. the ride is smooth as they come. im going to just change mine in a year and forget it. i guess do what makes you feel comfortable. its only 150 bucks or less so not a biggie either way.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
I had my dealer change the oil the day I took delivery at no cost. Mine also sat on the lot for a bit...no complaints at ALL given the price!!!!!