Sponsored by:

Who says M3 is faster on the track?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by FrankW
the real question is if the C63 can keep up with those times lap after lap with the heavy front end cooking those tires up much faster than the M3 does.
I wouldn't worry about that since M3's **** brakes will give up much earlier than the tires do
Old 10-23-2009, 10:59 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by MikeS54
I wouldn't worry about that since M3's **** brakes will give up much earlier than the tires do
i'll have to disagree on that. I drive family friend's e92 M3 on almost wkly basis and I do push the car every time I can. haven't seen any slightest hint of fade even in extreme use through some canyon one time even compare to my Brembo GTs I have on my C32.

edit: on track use the weight of the C63 will probably cook its brakes just as fast as the M3's.

Last edited by FrankW; 10-23-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:09 PM

06' BMW M3
Originally Posted by MikeG_C63_AMG

I never said there is no way. In fact it be great for competition if the ///M division's next M3 used a a high displacement V8 like you said producing 100HP/L with an 8400RPM red line.

...actually..I read somewhere that the next generation M3 will go back to a six cylinder engine.I don't know if they'll go F/I...///M division swore it would never do it...but who knows

FWIW..I found this to be interesting...the new M3's V8 engine weighs less then my I-6 S54 does...
Old 10-23-2009, 11:11 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by Phin
...actually..I read somewhere that the next generation M3 will go back to a six cylinder engine.I don't know if they'll go F/I...///M division swore it would never do it...but who knows

FWIW..I found this to be interesting...the new M3's V8 engine weighs less then my I-6 S54 does...
the M X5/6 are already using V8TT.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:16 PM

06' BMW M3
the M X5/6 are already using V8TT.
...beasts...they will be..I still know what think about an ///M division SUV..
Old 10-24-2009, 01:30 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by Phin
...beasts...they will be..I still know what think about an ///M division SUV..
one fact is they're ugly.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:23 PM

C63 AMG
i'll have to disagree on that. I drive family friend's e92 M3 on almost wkly basis and I do push the car every time I can. haven't seen any slightest hint of fade even in extreme use through some canyon one time even compare to my Brembo GTs I have on my C32.

edit: on track use the weight of the C63 will probably cook its brakes just as fast as the M3's.

I have tracked my C63 on a local road course couple times and i can tell you after a whole day of hard driving theres no fade in brakes what so ever .

Our local couse is a very small 1.7mile track with 9 corners and most of being super tight corners, so the track is famous for hard on brakes.

On this course I have seen no E92 M3 survive a whole day with stock brakes. Also since i owned M cars before I knew that almost everyone who track their M will have to upgrade their brakes since stock rotor just keep failing.

Also C63's brake is a siginificant improvement over C32 as well even though C32 had pretty good brakes.

You really can't compare cayon runs to track driving cause on the cayon road you will ***** out and you are far from reaching the limit of ur car.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:54 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
lol...I'm not running stock brakes on the C32.

you obviously haven't seen how we run SoCal canyons. brakes and suspension takes all they can handle from non-stop 45-55mph braking even up to some 70-80 on some straights for 20-25min down or up hill.

Last edited by FrankW; 10-24-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, E60 530i, E46 325i
one fact is they're ugly.
I honestly don't see why people they're that bad? Like they're not the most gorgeous SUV ever designed/built - that's for sure, but it's definitely prettier than their rivals, well IMO. Just looks tougher, just like how the C63 looks more tough than the M3, IS-F and RS4. In fact, it has the most fender flare and over done body design. The car still looks beautiful, but the lines don't flow in even compared to the M3 for instance.

Seeing them in person, I quite like them. Very sleek body design, attractive slim headlights, awesome stance and definitely something that grabs attention with four awesome looking exhaust tips.

Compared to...

Last edited by iftwb; 10-24-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:10 PM

C63 AMG
lol...I'm not running stock brakes on the C32.

you obviously haven't seen how we run SoCal canyons. brakes and suspension takes all they can handle from non-stop 45-55mph braking even up to some 70-80 on some straights for 20-25min down or up hill.

At the track the long straight i can hit 120mph and have to brake from there and trust me on this C63's brake setup is very good.

Also if you ask some people who actually own a C63 and tracks their car properly they will pretty much all tell you that stock brakes are awesome.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:14 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by iftwb
I honestly don't see why people they're that bad? Like their not the most gorgeous SUV out, but they're definitely prettier than their rivals.

Seeing them in person, I quite like them. Very sleek body design and definitely something that grabs attention...

Compared to...

Seriously X6 only looks good from the front and thats because it looks like a X5 which is a very good looking car. from the back the car is just UGLY

I would take a ML63 over a X6m anyday. In fact if i want a large SUV that goes like hell and handles nicely too whats wrong with a X5. X5 also has one more seat and more trunk space.

X6 is just to fill a gap in the market and i have no respect for that kinda of marketing garbage.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:15 PM

Yeah stock C63 AMG brakes are no doubt awesome. But braking distance, efficiency and effectiveness with a BBK aren't much without good tyres - can't forget that as another component.

The brakes are bigger on a C63 aren't they? Definitely should have bigger ones to slow down all that brute force.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:22 PM

Seriously X6 only looks good from the front and thats because it looks like a X5 which is a very good looking car. from the back the car is just UGLY

I would take a ML63 over a X6m anyday. In fact if i want a large SUV that goes like hell and handles nicely too whats wrong with a X5. X5 also has one more seat and more trunk space.

X6 is just to fill a gap in the market and i have no respect for that kinda of marketing garbage.
I still like the rear taillight design though, kind of reminds me of a E92 coupe style, which is just.....

But yeah, I see where you are coming from - I think the X5 would be more practical, considering what you mentioned; PLUS a little extra headroom in the rear seats?

But you can't blame BMW for filling a gap in the market. It a move parallel to making the M3 come in 3 different versions - which in my opinion is blasphemous. M3 should have always been a coupe... But changing markets, economical climates and a roadmap for production cars that is constantly changing, they had to do it.

It's all about making as much money as you can to ensure your future...Mercedes-Benz does it with other markets...

Old 10-24-2009, 08:37 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by iftwb
I still like the rear taillight design though, kind of reminds me of a E92 coupe style, which is just.....

But yeah, I see where you are coming from - I think the X5 would be more practical, considering what you mentioned; PLUS a little extra headroom in the rear seats?

But you can't blame BMW for filling a gap in the market. It a move parallel to making the M3 come in 3 different versions - which in my opinion is blasphemous. M3 should have always been a coupe... But changing markets, economical climates and a roadmap for production cars that is constantly changing, they had to do it.

It's all about making as much money as you can to ensure your future...Mercedes-Benz does it with other markets...

I have always been a big fan of M cars and myself owned a MZ4 roadster before. I have always been a big fan of the E46 M cars especially the CSL being my favorite road car of all time. However bmw's is moving more and more away from stuff with all their cool and hardcore stuff.

The twin turbo 335 is a great car nevertheless but it lacks the soul and passion a bmw is suppose to have. I think even with the E92 M3 its losing the rawness that a M car is suppose to have. Its becoming a very nerdy car for bussinessman rather than a monster for the keen drivers.

X6M and X5M are examples of bmw losing its identity, putting a M badge on a large suv is such a disgrace. Especialy when you think about all the previous great M cars they made.

The E30 M3 that came from a race car, the E46 M3 that is hard and rigid and screams like its on fire. The CSL of both versions thats so hardcore that every keen driver wanted one. The older M5 that had the monsterous V8 which they stll use in one of the fastest car in the world the ascari A10.

As a pre bmw guy its so sad to see all the new cars ruining the badge. I am just hopeing the GT4 E92 m3 will be totally fast and hardcore and won me over.

For now though i will stick with my M156 rawpower
Old 10-24-2009, 09:13 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
At the track the long straight i can hit 120mph and have to brake from there and trust me on this C63's brake setup is very good.

Also if you ask some people who actually own a C63 and tracks their car properly they will pretty much all tell you that stock brakes are awesome.
i think you're confused on what I said. never said the 6-piston brembo on the C63 would fade, but on the same track condition and driver. the 300lb heavier C63 and it's tires will give out faster than the lighter M3.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:57 AM

C63 AMG
i think you're confused on what I said. never said the 6-piston brembo on the C63 would fade, but on the same track condition and driver. the 300lb heavier C63 and it's tires will give out faster than the lighter M3.

Its more like 200lb thats between C63 and the m3 coupe with CF roof. 200lb weight difference will not affect how long the front tire gives very much.

Fact is C63 is a very track worthy car with or without LSD. With LSD performance is very similiar to a M3. Also both cars being stock C63 is able to be more consistant due to the brakes being much better.

I ve come accross lots of race driver instructors and all of them have complimented on how well my car does on the track.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Its more like 200lb thats between C63 and the m3 coupe with CF roof. 200lb weight difference will not affect how long the front tire gives very much.

Fact is C63 is a very track worthy car with or without LSD. With LSD performance is very similiar to a M3. Also both cars being stock C63 is able to be more consistant due to the brakes being much better.

I ve come accross lots of race driver instructors and all of them have complimented on how well my car does on the track.
FACT is, on 9 out of 10 tracks the M3 is faster than the C63.

I also contend that M brakes aren't good. My stockers on my CS E46 are great, all I needed to do was upgrade the pads as needs to be done on all track cars. Sure, I'd like stainless lines but the discs are big enough and the calipers are passable, though I may beef up the rears one of these days.

You are the only person I've heard raving about the C63 brakes being so amazing. I'm sure they're good but there hardly a comparison to the ones on even a base Carrera. If you're not overheating them and running totally stock without even track pads you're not running fast enough.

-Rob
Old 10-25-2009, 05:02 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter

someone on this forum weight his car with a full tank of gas with him in the car at 4100 almost 4200lbs. The e92 M3 I've read on m3post to be somewhere around 3800lb with avg weight driver.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:44 PM

C63 AMG
someone on this forum weight his car with a full tank of gas with him in the car at 4100 almost 4200lbs. The e92 M3 I've read on m3post to be somewhere around 3800lb with avg weight driver.

I rember car and driver weighed C63 at 3900 and m3 at 3700. Well driver makes a difference too
Old 10-25-2009, 06:49 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by transferred
FACT is, on 9 out of 10 tracks the M3 is faster than the C63.

I also contend that M brakes aren't good. My stockers on my CS E46 are great, all I needed to do was upgrade the pads as needs to be done on all track cars. Sure, I'd like stainless lines but the discs are big enough and the calipers are passable, though I may beef up the rears one of these days.

You are the only person I've heard raving about the C63 brakes being so amazing. I'm sure they're good but there hardly a comparison to the ones on even a base Carrera. If you're not overheating them and running totally stock without even track pads you're not running fast enough.

-Rob
Well i am pretty sure i was pretty aggressive for the whole day trying to keep up with all the really fast cars in the group. (Since I have one of the slowest cars in the group). Anyways every instructor who drove my car said complimented on the brakes. I have also had one of the instructor who help run AMG acadamy and he told me their C63 had 10 track days on stock setup without any problems.

E46 M3 definitely had little bit less problem with brakes fade since the car is much lighter. Especially if you have the later competition brakes with upgraded pads you shoudn't have too much problem. The new M3 has more weight and power therefore the stock brakes are not sufficient enough on a hard track day.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:15 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
The new M3 has more weight and power therefore the stock brakes are not sufficient enough on a hard track day.
thats a failed theory.

a friend who bought a M5 just came back from SC from the M driving school. they run the stock M3/5 all day long with no fade at all according to him.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:21 PM

C63 AMG
thats a failed theory.

a friend who bought a M5 just came back from SC from the M driving school. they run the stock M3/5 all day long with no fade at all according to him.

I know those bmw driving school track days, they ain't very hard on the cars at all. Since most of them are focusing on driving technique rather than going fast.