Who says M3 is faster on the track?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG
Who says M3 is faster on the track?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdCpx...eature=related

enjoy our mighty 63 beating the m3 around the track. As you can see this c63 has performance pack.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Lotus Evora S
By 5/100th of a second...
Old 10-20-2009, 07:28 PM

C63 AMG
still faster! lol
Old 10-20-2009, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche, Cadillac
Originally Posted by MikeS54
still faster! lol
Probably due to the driver.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by QuadBenz
Probably IS due to the driver.
Let me correct that for you

Sorry guys, but equal drivers on a REAL track aka NOT DRAG, and the M wins. Sorry but its just a fact. Personaly, I would rather own the C63 for the other 362 days out of the year
Old 10-20-2009, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche GT3
Just put the same size rubber on the C63 that the M3 comes with and you will have a very close race. Spend $1,500 on a tune and the M3 is toast.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:47 PM

axe muderer with headlights
This is the first time I have heard of the C63 beating the M3 around the track. LOL
Old 10-20-2009, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
I always will think the M-3 handles better. It doesn't matter I won a C63 AMG. For the price the C63 AMG cost they should had a rear LSD , no excuses. Also the C63 should have wider and more stickier tires and perhaps wider fenders in the back.

I am absolutely not surprised why the M-3 always wins. The C63 is a great car but bthe M-3 is slightly better handling performer.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Let me correct that for you

Sorry guys, but equal drivers on a REAL track aka NOT DRAG, and the M wins. Sorry but its just a fact. Personaly, I would rather own the C63 for the other 362 days out of the year
Do you have any head to head data with a C63 PP vs. an M3. I believe this is the first. It looks like the C63 with PP is slightly faster and not driver dependent.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:25 AM

W204 C63 AMG, E60 530i, E46 325i
Nurburgring times, Top Gear test track, Edmunds, Top Gear UK, Fifth Gear ... all show and vote in favor of M3. One is a straightline beast, one is a track legacy. Enough said....

And for those that talk about tuning...get over it - that is the dullest response to what can possibly be done about this comparison. If we all talk about non-factory, aftermarket tuning, it would make things a lot harder to compare. Out of factory, the M3 wins hands down. The world of automotive racing isn't about straight line performance, and for cars like these...the track was what was kept in mind when they were made.

The C63 already has a 6.2L engine, that is a staggering 2.2L over the M3's V8 size; what more does it need just to beat a factory M3?

Last edited by iftwb; 10-21-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:32 AM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
Do you have any head to head data with a C63 PP vs. an M3. I believe this is the first. It looks like the C63 with PP is slightly faster and not driver dependent.
+1 thats the point i was trying to get to. I have always been interested to see a pp package c63 against a m3 cause thats a real competition there as C63 should have come with LSD on all trim lvls.

Originally Posted by iftwb
Nurburgring times, Top Gear test track, Edmunds, Top Gear UK, Fifth Gear ... all show and vote in favor of M3. One is a straightline beast, one is a track legacy. Enough said....

And for those that talk about tuning...get over it - that is the dullest response to what can possibly be done about this comparison. If we all talk about non-factory, aftermarket tuning, it would make things a lot harder to compare. Out of factory, the M3 wins hands down. The world of automotive racing isn't about straight line performance, and for cars like these...the track was what was kept in mind when they were made.

The C63 already has a 6.2L engine, that is a staggering 2.2L over the M3's V8 size; what more does it need just to beat a factory M3?
Tuning put aside LSD is indeed a factory option and is not considered to be aftermarket stuff. As we seen in the video a LSD equiped C63 is in fact slightly (and i mean slightly) faster than a m3 around a track and we all know its quiet a bit faster than m3 in a straightline.

So how does m3 win hands down then?
Old 10-21-2009, 02:56 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP

and one is better on public roads which is were almost all the buyers are going to drive it 6.2L saw to that!

For public road use the C63 handles amazingly well, you could even say perfectly!

For track use I wouldn't get an M3, I'd get a Porsche GT3 RS.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:00 AM

W204 C63 AMG, E60 530i, E46 325i
Originally Posted by MikeS54
Tuning put aside LSD is indeed a factory option and is not considered to be aftermarket stuff. As we seen in the video a LSD equiped C63 is in fact slightly (and i mean slightly) faster than a m3 around a track and we all know its quiet a bit faster than m3 in a straightline.

So how does m3 win hands down then?
The fact that your C63 AMG, my C63 AMG and everyone elses, didn't come with an LSD in the first place...is FAIL. It really disappoints me ... AMG can do whatever non-F/I changes, engine upgrades, drivetrain uprades down the line it wants, but for the time they both got released; the M3 wins hands down.

If you say the LSD makes a difference in bringing the C63 on level with the M3, I wonder what would happen if the M3 had a equivalent sized engine to the C63? 2.2L disadvantage were talking about here, and it still wasn't enough for C63 to pull ahead on track? Poor handling engineering? But excellent power/torque acquisition?

Do those sites I mentioned not provide enough credibility for the basis of the M3s track superiorty over the C63? If that doesn't, what does? Yours? Mine?

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring_lap_times
http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?fID...3&viewThread=y

8:04 Audi R8 Horst von Saurma Sport Auto (07/2007)

8:05 BMW M3 E92 Horst von Saurma Sport Auto (12/2007)

8:13 Mercedes-Benz_C63 AMG Horst von Saurma Sport Auto (2/2009)

What makes it even more credible is that the same driver is driving it. And lets not forget, dear Horst is a very talented driver.
The M3 is almost one with the R8. Now even with LSD, I doubt it would 'beat' the M3, and become close to the R8. I really doubt it. Google is your friend - plenty of other tracks you can use. But we all know the Nurburgring is the ultimate test, hence why all car manufacturers use it as a supreme benchmark/stress test.

Originally Posted by GMW
and one is better on public roads which is were almost all the buyers are going to drive it 6.2L saw to that!

For public road use the C63 handles amazingly well, you could even say perfectly!

For track use I wouldn't get an M3, I'd get a Porsche GT3 RS.
That is the very reason why I bought my C63. Daily driver. Highways, open roads, plenty of power and torque to use. Sure it is fun at my local track, but I still wouldn't call it track superior to the M3.

Yes, on public road it handles amazingly well. But have you brought you car to your local track, and driven it like its meant to be driven (aiming to get a solid time?). It flys everywhere, and it is definitely not planted and tamed as the M3. Hence the track times speak for themselves.

Errr, that isn't a very good reasoning. The Porsche 997 GT3 RS is a whole different level...that sentence you said is just useless because not everyone can afford cars more expensive than a C63 AMG or E9x M3.......
And for that reason, if you were to have the budget of such cars, we'd only choose cars that are in that similar price bracket or have equivalent/similar performance. Not a Porsche GT3.......

Last edited by iftwb; 10-21-2009 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
I'd also like to point out that this track is pretty much a long straight with a few tight turns thrown in. That long straight is where the C63 made up its time. On a more complex track, the M3 would dominate.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
Originally Posted by Oliverk
I'd also like to point out that this track is pretty much a long straight with a few tight turns thrown in. That long straight is where the C63 made up its time. On a more complex track, the M3 would dominate.
This. I bought my car for daily driving and some spirited driving....for that purpose the C63 is more practical. Sure if I wanted to track my car often I would have bought an M3, well not really.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
The fact that your C63 AMG, my C63 AMG and everyone elses, didn't come with an LSD in the first place...is FAIL. It really disappoints me ... AMG can do whatever non-F/I changes, engine upgrades, drivetrain uprades down the line it wants, but for the time they both got released; the M3 wins hands down.

If you say the LSD makes a difference in bringing the C63 on level with the M3, I wonder what would happen if the M3 had a equivalent sized engine to the C63? 2.2L disadvantage were talking about here, and it still wasn't enough for C63 to pull ahead on track? Poor handling engineering? But excellent power/torque acquisition?

Do those sites I mentioned not provide enough credibility for the basis of the M3s track superiorty over the C63? If that doesn't, what does? Yours? Mine?

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring_lap_times
http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?fID...3&viewThread=y

8:04 Audi R8 Horst von Saurma Sport Auto (07/2007)

8:05 BMW M3 E92 Horst von Saurma Sport Auto (12/2007)

8:13 Mercedes-Benz_C63 AMG Horst von Saurma Sport Auto (2/2009)

What makes it even more credible is that the same driver is driving it. And lets not forget, dear Horst is a very talented driver.
The M3 is almost one with the R8. Now even with LSD, I doubt it would 'beat' the M3, and become close to the R8. I really doubt it. Google is your friend - plenty of other tracks you can use. But we all know the Nurburgring is the ultimate test, hence why all car manufacturers use it as a supreme benchmark/stress test.

That is the very reason why I bought my C63. Daily driver. Highways, open roads, plenty of power and torque to use. Sure it is fun at my local track, but I still wouldn't call it track superior to the M3.

Yes, on public road it handles amazingly well. But have you brought you car to your local track, and driven it like its meant to be driven (aiming to get a solid time?). It flys everywhere, and it is definitely not planted and tamed as the M3. Hence the track times speak for themselves.

Errr, that isn't a very good reasoning. The Porsche 997 GT3 RS is a whole different level...that sentence you said is just useless because not everyone can afford cars more expensive than a C63 AMG or E9x M3.......
And for that reason, if you were to have the budget of such cars, we'd only choose cars that are in that similar price bracket or have equivalent/similar performance. Not a Porsche GT3.......

Didn't a new CTS-V do it in under 8 minutes?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
Top Gears test was a PP car and it was 4 seconds slower. The PP car look unstable ad out of control compared to the composed and fluid M3. The PP might narrow the gap but body motions are still way more crude than the M3 I think.

C63 is faster in a line and sounds far better though.

The really sad part is that an M3 rides better by far than a PP C63
Old 10-21-2009, 12:31 PM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Top Gears test was a PP car and it was 4 seconds slower. The PP car look unstable ad out of control compared to the composed and fluid M3. The PP might narrow the gap but body motions are still way more crude than the M3 I think.
That episode came out almost a year before PP was even available.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by nrgy
That episode came out almost a year before PP was even available.
Youy are confusing the fact that they are not in the US my friend

Just because the PP wasn't readily available here the frist year, does NOT imply that it wasn't in Europe
Old 10-21-2009, 01:15 PM

Porsche GT3
"And for those that talk about tuning...get over it - that is the dullest response to what can possibly be done about this comparison. If we all talk about non-factory, aftermarket tuning, it would make things a lot harder to compare."

Sorry for the dull response my point on the tuning was that you can add 70 horsepower for $1,500. How much extra power would that get you on the M-3? Most track day the particpants will have modded the cars so I think it is relavent to point out that if you show up with a tuned C63 you should not have too much trouble with the M-3's (at least I have not ).
Old 10-21-2009, 01:18 PM

2014 CTS-V (6spd, phantom grey), 2010 Cadillac Escalade ESV (black raven)
Originally Posted by Ubergeist
Didn't a new CTS-V do it in under 8 minutes?
Would you rather go into a track battle/race with a CTS-V or an M3? You use these Nurburgring times as a general reference.
Much more valid testing is when the cars are compared the same day, same conditions, same driver, same track. Which has been done ad infinitum in any one of the car mags of your choosing. And if memory serves me correctly, the M3 dominates the C63 on the track.

But a point that has already been brought up is the fact that the vast majority of us do not track our cars. So if I had to choose a car, I would take the C63 over the M3. But to say the C63 is better at the track is simply over rationalizing...
Old 10-21-2009, 01:42 PM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Youy are confusing the fact that they are not in the US my friend

Just because the PP wasn't readily available here the frist year, does NOT imply that it wasn't in Europe
I wasn't confused . IIRC none of the early press cars were fitted with PP. I'll gladly eat those words if someone proves otherwise.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
How come BMW and Mercedes never get along ?

Andy
Old 10-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32

C63 is faster in a line and sounds far better though.

The really sad part is that an M3 rides better by far than a PP C63
Just wondering..how do you know it was a PP equiped car?
Old 10-21-2009, 02:00 PM

Audi S4, Mercedes Benz C350 4Matic
BMW M3 handles better than C63 AMG on the track. However, C63 AMG beats M3 in straight line, exhaust sound, and also a lot better in interior fit and finish. Maybe I am just not a big fan of BMW interior....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who says M3 is faster on the track?