c63 amg parts are too $$$

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
360 Modena TT
c63 amg parts are too $$$

i understand that we all drive mercedes but why do the parts have to be so damn expensive . i know that the market is not as common as a honda but why does that mean that the parts have to be priced so high . other than the computer reflash from kleeman , the other aftermarket performance items out there are outrageous . i wish i had the smarts to come up with some custom stuff for these cars and sell it at half the price . i cant believe that a set of headers are in the $4000 range at best . i was just looking around for some performance parts and didn't realize i would have to sell the car to afford the parts .
Old 10-28-2009, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 c63
i agree 4k for headers is just a complete rip off. I bet if someone makes some affordable parts they would make some money and many others very happy. There are plenty of C63s out there, its not like its a ferrari.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
It's the flavour of the month. Just be patient. Prices will come down when cooler heads prevail.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
Supply and demand...Some folks that buy MB have more money than they know what to do with, so it's easy for them to buy this aftermarket stuff. You either wait, or bring to the market an equally quality product at a lower price. I think it'll probably take about another year to get more C63s out there to create the demand...the car is still fairly new.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
A Vette ECU tune is $600. The MB ECU tune is $1500 - $2500.

Does the machine cost THAT much more to justify such a markup?
Old 10-28-2009, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Probably Eurocharged will have some items avail in the near future. Their tune is well-priced. AMS has also said they will introduce some headers in 2010.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Originally Posted by propain

No, no it doesnt.

You can get a standalone ECU for a Honda for $500 that you can tune yourself on the fly whenever you want with a romulator.

Its a joke. And really, the community should stand up to it. Unless you show me the millions of dollars in equipment you are using to benchmark your headers, unless you show me the wind tunnel you rented for 1000 hours and the engineers you flew in from china to help design the angle of your primaries or the size of your merge collector...your headers are worth no more than those that are being cranked out by any other mid-level "smoother is better, wider is good" muffler shop.

The intakes and the ECU tunes are the worst...shave a few nubs off of an OEM airbox, make it in Carbon Fiber and charge $2k for it. Get real.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 561 Likes on 371 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by propain

Just take a look at the production numbers of Vettes vs. AMG's, then take a look at the cross-section that actually MODIFIES the cars. You guys are in the minority, big time.

The high cost of development, combined with the small demand for the parts, makes them justifiably expensive.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:24 PM

07 jeepGCSRT8/04 SVT COBRA.....soon c63AMG
This is the only reason why im not buying a C63 anymore. Im a speed junkey from day one. Even though the C is sick fast, eventually it just wont cut it anymore. So a tune and LT's are a must. But considering the fact that for the same price as the headers alone for the AMG not including install, i could up-grade a car like the oh say CTS-V2 with about 700 crank hp.
And thats why im buying the new V, after driving it today. AMAZING is all i have to say. Fit and finish, interior, handling, braking, and lets not forget that unstoppable pull coming from that beast of an LSA. Reminds me so much of my terminator.... God bless America LOL!!
Old 10-28-2009, 08:26 PM

07 jeepGCSRT8/04 SVT COBRA.....soon c63AMG
On a another note. I would love to see the American aftermarket get on wagon for the C. A company like Kooks or American Racing Headers could make the most amazing stainless steel long tubes for these cars for less then half the price...
Old 10-28-2009, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Just take a look at the production numbers of Vettes vs. AMG's, then take a look at the cross-section that actually MODIFIES the cars. You guys are in the minority, big time.

The high cost of development, combined with the small demand for the parts, makes them justifiably expensive.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Z99

c63 amg
It is not just the tuners. Look at what Mercedes charges for parts. 1 rotor costs $1200 for this car. It is a Brembo rotor. The rotor on a Brembo big brake kit is only a few hundred dollars. One C63 wheel cost $900. It is not even a forged wheel.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:22 PM

C63 AMG
You pay to play...to an extent. These tuners are setting their prices ridiculously high because they can. You get what you can while you can get it, and the vendors are getting it cuz we still buy their products at these prices. If people keep buying these products at their ridiculous prices, then vendors will continue to sell them at such prices.

If a new vendor comes out with a similar product, the price difference won't be that much because they'd figure any discount is better than no discount. What we need to do is wait and wait and wait and wait till the market is over-saturated with parts for our C63...which will be in about 10 years. Only then can we get parts for reasonable prices.

Summary: vendors charge high prices cuz they can, and we still buy them. Prices won't go down drastically until the market is filled with similar products.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by spartanc63amg
On a another note. I would love to see the American aftermarket get on wagon for the C. A company like Kooks or American Racing Headers could make the most amazing stainless steel long tubes for these cars for less then half the price...
TTM and ARH are to begin the development of 55 and 63 headers, cat delete and resonator delete systems in January 2010 and Nick and I can assure you guys that they will be priced appropriately!

Look out for TTM branded headers designed and manufactured with Nick and ARH!
Old 11-04-2009, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
Originally Posted by TTMotorsports
TTM and ARH are to begin the development of 55 and 63 headers, cat delete and resonator delete systems in January 2010 and Nick and I can assure you guys that they will be priced appropriately!

Look out for TTM branded headers designed and manufactured with Nick and ARH!

Will these be tuned length headers or something else? And when do you expect they'll be available for delivery?
Old 11-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by Even Money
Will these be tuned length headers or something else? And when do you expect they'll be available for delivery?
We will definitely have LT's but we were also thinking of producing HFEM's or mid's for the "direct bolt-in" crowd.

Delivery should begin in Feb '10.

I will be looking for donor cars for the development and they will receive headers at NO CHARGE for their troubles!
Old 11-04-2009, 05:17 PM

'09 C63 Performance Package - Steel Grey/Sahara Biege
Originally Posted by avengerboater
You pay to play...to an extent. These tuners are setting their prices ridiculously high because they can. You get what you can while you can get it, and the vendors are getting it cuz we still buy their products at these prices. If people keep buying these products at their ridiculous prices, then vendors will continue to sell them at such prices.

If a new vendor comes out with a similar product, the price difference won't be that much because they'd figure any discount is better than no discount. What we need to do is wait and wait and wait and wait till the market is over-saturated with parts for our C63...which will be in about 10 years. Only then can we get parts for reasonable prices.

Summary: vendors charge high prices cuz they can, and we still buy them. Prices won't go down drastically until the market is filled with similar products.

I couldn't agree more. I have a business trip scheduled to southern India where a lot of auto parts get made. I figured if I get time on the weekend, I might have to stop in some place and see what they'd charge to custom make a LT Header set-up. From what I know of labor rates, it would be the cost of the T304 + a few dollars per hour for labor. I wonder what that comes out too.

...and if everyone did that, we'd have no problems. (I believe Bosch is there too, do they make the ECUs???)
Old 11-04-2009, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
We will definitely have LT's but we were also thinking of producing HFEM's or mid's for the "direct bolt-in" crowd.

Looking for shorties.

Also, will someone in China produce an airbox similar to the R-Tech piece? The airbox will fit the entire 63 line. It doesn't have to be in CF. As a matter of fact, let's keep the price down and make it in plain old plastic.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:17 PM

C63 AMG

I will be looking for donor cars for the development and they will receive headers at NO CHARGE for their troubles!
I'll be local to you guys between December and January.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Thanks guys for all of the interest in letting me use your car as the prototype donor but I already have one but will keep all of the you guys in the loop!

Did someone say composite airboxs?