C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Service 10,000 miles- suggestions??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by osubeaver
Thank you for all the feedback. The 10,000 mile service was completed yesterday in about 2.5 hours with the total bill coming to $413.00. The service included the following...
1. 10,000 mile service- oil, filter, etc.
2. rear differential fluid change
3. install of new iPod cable (no charge)
4. adjustment of rear deck lid (service campaign)
5. removal of scratches caused by rear deck lid (no charge)
Geez...$413 for an oil/filter change and rear differential fluid change! MB...they are such crooks!
Old 10-30-2009, 04:43 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by osubeaver
Thank you for all the feedback. The 10,000 mile service was completed yesterday in about 2.5 hours with the total bill coming to $413.00. The service included the following...
1. 10,000 mile service- oil, filter, etc.
2. rear differential fluid change
3. install of new iPod cable (no charge)
4. adjustment of rear deck lid (service campaign)
5. removal of scratches caused by rear deck lid (no charge)
WOW...I just did mine this week and my bill was only $250 for the $10K service including the rear diff fluid change. I'm happy to scan and email my bill so you can get your $150 back.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
WOW...I just did mine this week and my bill was only $250 for the $10K service including the rear diff fluid change. I'm happy to scan and email my bill so you can get your $150 back.
E-mailed you.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
Taylorcoleman can you PM me that as well, I have an appt next Saturday for service A, thanks.

OSUBEAVER, What did they do to remove the trunk scratches, I have a small buffed spot I'm guessing from the corner of my trunk lid that hasn't come out?
Old 10-30-2009, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Multispeed
Unfortunately, that statement your parroting from the owners manuals can be stretching it a bit. That service interval may be acceptable if the vehicle is driven under "Normal service" conditions which by API definition is not what most people drive in. An engine oils service life actually depends entirely on the environment, driving habits and the type of oil and filtration system the vehicle uses. All manufacturers face pressure to reduce maintenance costs and minimize wasted resources. So that cute little number is based with more emphasis on pleasing the cheap *** nits who dont like to spend any money and hate doing maintenance rather that ultimate engine life and performance.
With a top notch oil and by-pass system like that from Ams-oil, change intervals can be over 100,000 miles. Because my C63 runs so pig rich I am seeing fuel dilution with analysis after just a few thousand miles. And living where I do I often see elevated silicon (dust/dirt) levels in the oil.
I change my C63 oil every 5000 miles or 6 months whichever comes first.
It just seems to always come down to this; the enthusiasts who know about cars dont skimp when it comes to maintenance.
Originally Posted by sflgator
That's good for reg. oil, but for the newer synthetic oils like we use in the MB C63 AMG, changing oil every ~ 10k mi. is fine. btw - I used to change my non-synthetic oil (in older cars) every ~ 2,500-3,000mi., but now since using only the synthetic oil, every ~ 10k works just fine with zero issues.
Originally Posted by Arclight338
Multispeed says:

"It just seems to always come down to this; the enthusiasts who know about cars dont skimp when it comes to maintenance."

SO enthusiast's who KNOW cars-KNOW more about AMG than AMG? Oil analysis, fuel dilution, exceptionally rich fuel mixture...... what about dumping fresh oil with its fresh batch of anti-friction compounds in an engine that is not broken in yet? That's ok? It seems ENTHUSIASTS never think about what type of issues that could cause.

You really think they just pulled that 10K miles/one year oil change interval out of their ***?The engineering folks figured out how to literally spray molten steel into an aluminum engine block to form the cylinder liners-but they didn't think about the proper oil change interval?.Mercedes-Benz isn't worrying about cutting cost by factory filling with synthetic oil. Since you aren't a cheap *** nit-what are you going to do about transmission service? Notice that there isn't a transmission dipstick?

I have no problem paying for or doing any service that is required.In fact, I'll be far under 10K when the one year is up. I'll just trust that Mercedes-Benz and AMG has done enough testing. I'll follow THEIR recommendations.
lol. You think AMG gives a **** if your engine makes it to 150k miles?

The man provided you with valid used oil analysis data, and your responses are "but AMG said" and "but its new style synthetic".

May I remind you that AMG also builds engines that burn 1 quart in as little as 600 miles and calls that normal. Ha, at that rate, you'll have a nice revolving oil change. Just change the filter.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09 C63 11 E350
Oliverk, how much oil does YOUR AMG burn? Mine only burns less than 1 quart every 3000 miles. PS, I couldn't care less if it lasts 150K miles- I'll be long since bored with it by then!
Old 10-31-2009, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Arclight338
Oliverk, how much oil does YOUR AMG burn? Mine only burns less than 1 quart every 3000 miles. PS, I couldn't care less if it lasts 150K miles- I'll be long since bored with it by then!
I don't own an AMG.

That said, there are many owners of the 6.2 floating around that burn up to a quart every 600 miles.

If you don't care to own the car for more than say 100k miles, then feel free to follow the 10k schedule.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Oliverk
I don't own an AMG.

That said, there are many owners of the 6.2 floating around that burn up to a quart every 600 miles.

If you don't care to own the car for more than say 100k miles, then feel free to follow the 10k schedule.
I put 20-25k mi. year on my car; my C63 AMG currently 9k mi. on now and I've only had it for 3 months. My car needed 1 qt. of synthetic oil during this time at 6k mi.; FWIW, my tuned F/I TT 6cyl. BMW 335i also burned oil at about the same rate. I do the services when the car tells me...been doing this for years and not had any problems with the synthetic oil. You said you don't even own an AMG, but yet you're commenting on how long these 6.2L AMG engines last if you change your oil + filter at the recommended 10k./1 yr. intervals.

I suppose one might feel better if he/she chose to change their oil/filter sooner than the recommended 10k mi. intervals, but it is deinitely NOT a fact that the engine will last any longer; you do not know this. On the BMWs, the computer monitors more than mileage to determine when the oil/filter needed to be changed; i.e. if you drive the car really hard all the time, the computer will most likely tell you that your car's oil/filter needed to be changed sooner than the typical 10k mi. However, if you drive normally most of the time and really hard only sometimes, then the computer will most likely keep you close to the 10k mi. intervals.

I have a feeling that the car's computer may just be smarter than you.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:00 PM

2009 Iridium Silver C63
Originally Posted by pmknapp
Service 20 is the tranny oil and filter change. While I do this I will pull a sample and see how it is and looks. has anyone else done a sample on the Tranny jucie?

I thought the tranny service wasn't until 40K per the owner's manual?

I'm split on this whole owner's manual versus "experts" view on maintenance interval. It's one thing for manufacturers to try to save money on "free" maintenance by extending service intervals but last I checked MB wasn't one of the manufacturers offering "free" maintenance so to say that's the reason for longer intervals is kind of misleading. On the other hand, dealers make a good percentage of their profits on maintenance services so I would be more inclined to think that service intervals would be on the lower rather than higher side if money is what we're talking about. Plus, MB has to stand behind their powertrain warranty IF all services were properly and timely conducted so it doesn't make sense that they'd prolong service intervals without some hard scientific data from the pocket protector dudes (no offense to those on the board ). Conventional thinking and practices dictate that if a manufacturer (any manufacturer, not just auto manufacturers) warranties a part to last XX miles,years, etc, it probably was designed to last much longer than that. Sort of like a "Factor of Safety", for those fellow engineers on the board.
But having said all that, I'm more on the side of using the owner's manual as a "guide" under NORMAL driving conditions and adjusting based on my ACTUAL driving conditions. I'm sure pedal to the metal would not classify under Normal Driving As a rule of thumb, I take what the manual calls for and cut it by 25-30%. I think 50% is excessive and a waste. Do what works for you (and more importantly, your wallet).
Old 11-01-2009, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
I put 20-25k mi. year on my car; my C63 AMG currently 9k mi. on now and I've only had it for 3 months. My car needed 1 qt. of synthetic oil during this time at 6k mi.; FWIW, my tuned F/I TT 6cyl. BMW 335i also burned oil at about the same rate. I do the services when the car tells me...been doing this for years and not had any problems with the synthetic oil. You said you don't even own an AMG, but yet you're commenting on how long these 6.2L AMG engines last if you change your oil + filter at the recommended 10k./1 yr. intervals.

I have a feeling that the car's computer may just be smarter than you.
1. I may not be smarter than your car's oil sensor (which typically just measure current), but a used oil analysis from blackstone labs most certainly is.

Your car has 9k miles on it, no wonder you haven't had problems yet. Most C63 drivers seem to be WOT at all times, and if his oil analysis said he should turn back the oil change interval, what makes you think your car is different?

So I need to own an AMG to have an opinion on oil change intervals?

Originally Posted by EROD
On the other hand, dealers make a good percentage of their profits on maintenance services so I would be more inclined to think that service intervals would be on the lower rather than higher side if money is what we're talking about. Plus, MB has to stand behind their powertrain warranty IF all services were properly and timely conducted so it doesn't make sense that they'd prolong service intervals without some hard scientific data from the pocket protector dudes (no offense to those on the board ). Conventional thinking and practices dictate that if a manufacturer (any manufacturer, not just auto manufacturers) warranties a part to last XX miles,years, etc, it probably was designed to last much longer than that. Sort of like a "Factor of Safety", for those fellow engineers on the board.
But having said all that, I'm more on the side of using the owner's manual as a "guide" under NORMAL driving conditions and adjusting based on my ACTUAL driving conditions. I'm sure pedal to the metal would not classify under Normal Driving As a rule of thumb, I take what the manual calls for and cut it by 25-30%. I think 50% is excessive and a waste. Do what works for you (and more importantly, your wallet).
Yes dealers make money on maintenance. Then again, only MB of manhattan is run by MB USA, so I'm not sure they care. Furthermore, people only bring their cars in for service if they purchase them. What I'm saying is that competitors are doing extended intervals, and therefore, MB can't be the odd one out. The average buyer wants to do as little maintenance as possible.

The warranty is 50k miles. Even if the engine lasts 80k miles, that a hell of a safety margin. But I'm sure you'd be pissed if your engine died at 80k miles.

My bottom line on this is as follows:

Don't trust the factory, don't trust the oil change places, or your dealer.

Do a used oil analysis from blackstone or the other labs, and see what it says.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:53 AM

C63, SLK, F150
[QUOTE=EROD;3789823]I thought the tranny service wasn't until 40K per the owner's manual?

Yes that tranny service is at 40K, I just threw it in to see if anyone has had it yet. Mine is over due and will do it next week.
I do go by the owners manual as much as I can but wallet tells me otherwise at times...hehehe...
I do get oil change done at my stealership for $80 plus tax which is not bad. so I get it done about every 10K unless I drive it hard then I will do it after about 5K to 9K.
Be Safe
Old 11-01-2009, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
1. I may not be smarter than your car's oil sensor (which typically just measure current), but a used oil analysis from blackstone labs most certainly is.

Your car has 9k miles on it, no wonder you haven't had problems yet. Most C63 drivers seem to be WOT at all times, and if his oil analysis said he should turn back the oil change interval, what makes you think your car is different?

So I need to own an AMG to have an opinion on oil change intervals?

Yes dealers make money on maintenance. Then again, only MB of manhattan is run by MB USA, so I'm not sure they care. Furthermore, people only bring their cars in for service if they purchase them. What I'm saying is that competitors are doing extended intervals, and therefore, MB can't be the odd one out. The average buyer wants to do as little maintenance as possible.

The warranty is 50k miles. Even if the engine lasts 80k miles, that a hell of a safety margin. But I'm sure you'd be pissed if your engine died at 80k miles.

My bottom line on this is as follows:

Don't trust the factory, don't trust the oil change places, or your dealer.

Do a used oil analysis from blackstone or the other labs, and see what it says.
1. Don't know how you drive your car, but I can say that I'm NOT at WOT all the time. I actually drive ~ 80% highway, so I'm cruising around most of the time, which is real easy on the engine. I'm not an immature, rich kid who's mommy and daddy bought him/her a $68k Merc Benz C63 AMG...I do not take it for granted; this is my car that I purchased, and I'm no young kid. I've had about 12 cars in the past 24 years, so I think I know how to take care of my cars...never had 1 die on me yet.

2. Do you really think if a responsible MB C63's owner "goes by the book" and changes his/her synthetic oil every 10k mi. or 1 year (whichever comes first) that their engine will die by 80k mi. I think there's really something wrong with you if you think that.

3. While an oil analysis will tell you lots of good stuff, I hardly think that it will absolutely determine how long your car's engine will last. I think there is such a thing as "overdoing it" and being paranoid. The cars of today last longer (than they used to) while their computers check for almost every possible failure.

Having said all that, I'm sure most ppl on this Forum (myself included) have no intention of keeping their current C63 AMG for ~ 200k mi. until it literally dies on the side of the road. Personally, I will probably keep my car for ~ 4-6 years though.

Last edited by sflgator; 11-01-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
1. Don't know how you drive your car, but I can say that I'm NOT at WOT all the time. I actually drive ~ 80% highway, so I'm cruising around most of the time, which is real easy on the engine. I'm not an immature, rich kid who's mommy and daddy bought him/her a $68k Merc Benz C63 AMG...I do not take it for granted; this is my car that I purchased, and I'm no young kid. I've had about 12 cars in the past 24 years, so I think I know how to take care of my cars...never had 1 die on me yet.

2. Do you really think if a responsible MB C63's owner "goes by the book" and changes his/her synthetic oil every 10k mi. or 1 year (whichever comes first) that their engine will die by 80k mi. I think there's really something wrong with you if you think that.

3. While an oil analysis will tell you lots of good stuff, I hardly think that it will absolutely determine how long your car's engine will last. I think there is such a thing as "overdoing it" and being paranoid. The cars of today last longer (than they used to) while their computers check for almost every possible failure.

Having said all that, I'm sure most ppl on this Forum (myself included) have no intention of keeping their current C63 AMG for ~ 200k mi. until it literally dies on the side of the road. Personally, I will probably keep my car for ~ 4-6 years though.
1. Half of the posts in this forum are about racing and how fast the car is. You may be an exception. Ok, you've had 12 cars in 24 years, what does that have to do with how well you take care of your cars.

2. Maybe, maybe not. The point is, if that happened, MB would say tough luck, heres the new engine bill for $50k. Is it going to happen? Probably not. Is it possible, especially with extended drain intervals, sure? MB only needs the engine to live 50k miles.

3. You obviously don't know what a UOA is. It tells you the condition of the oil, and what drain interval makes the most sense.

This goes back to my main point. If you only plant to keep the car for a few years without more than say 100k miles, then it probably doesn't matter. But then again, on a high performance vehicles, I'd prefer to be over protective, especially given the price of AMG engines.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:59 PM

axe muderer with headlights
1. Half of the posts in this forum are about racing and how fast the car is. You may be an exception. Ok, you've had 12 cars in 24 years, what does that have to do with how well you take care of your cars.

2. Maybe, maybe not. The point is, if that happened, MB would say tough luck, heres the new engine bill for $50k. Is it going to happen? Probably not. Is it possible, especially with extended drain intervals, sure? MB only needs the engine to live 50k miles.

3. You obviously don't know what a UOA is. It tells you the condition of the oil, and what drain interval makes the most sense.

This goes back to my main point. If you only plant to keep the car for a few years without more than say 100k miles, then it probably doesn't matter. But then again, on a high performance vehicles, I'd prefer to be over protective, especially given the price of AMG engines.
Well said, but I think you will keep saying the same thing as it's falling on deaf ears. To each their own and everyone lives happy.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG

I said I've had ~ 12 cars in the past 24 years, taken good care of each of them, and none have died on me...period. In addition, if your car is out of warranty after the 50k mi. mark, then MB will say you're SOL anyway, so what's your point, genius? And, yes, I would say that a good majority of Forum members will only drive their C63 AMG's < 100,000mi., so like I said before, it probably doesn't matter if you change your synthetic oil/filter every 5,000 mi. or the recommended 10,000 mi...which is now what you've finally agreed upon.

Last edited by sflgator; 11-01-2009 at 05:03 PM.