Sponsored by:

Sensitive steering?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63
Sensitive steering?

Hi I picked up the car yesterday and noticed the car slowly drift to the left if let loose the steering wheel on a straight road. I thought it is an alignment issue so I brought it back to the MB service today.

The mechanic did a test run with me. He explained and demonstrated to me the situation is actually due to crossfall of the street where in this city it is right-hand drive and hence the road surface slope down towards the left for drainage purposes. He then showed me if the car is driven on the right side lane on a one-way street the car would drift to the right since in that situation the road surface slope towards the right side. He also showed me the car would go straight if the road is totally flat without crossfall. In summary, he said there is nothing wrong with the car and that the situation is due to the sensitive steering especially with the 19" wheels. But he said he can do something to the steering to offset this situation if I prefer as most of the time the roads here will drift the car to the left.
I told him that if this is normal, I will give it a try to see if I can cope.

I came from driving a few BMWs for 15+ years and this is my first time driving a Merc and I have in the past experience similar issues but BMW would "fix" this without giving me so much lecture. I don't mind the lecture and in fact the mechanic is a very nice guy.

But I just wonder whether anyone has experienced similar issue?
Old 11-04-2009, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63,ML 350,S60 2.5t and E350
I actually have my m3 always did it on the same highway that the c63 does it on so i though the car was out of alignment my SA told me the same thing so i really dont know
Old 11-04-2009, 05:55 PM

C63 AMG
as long as its very slight then its normal

almost no public road is perfectly flat
Old 11-04-2009, 06:42 PM

c63 AMG, BMW 335 conv
+1, This is totally normal.