Newbie question about the automatic transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Newbie question about the automatic transmission

I have driven 100's of 1,000's of miles, all in manual transmission cars. This is my first automatic transmission equipped car. With all the electronic management in current cars, what would happen if one shifted into reverse when moving forward at "normal" speeds? Is there an electronic "lockout" to prevent damage or is the shift into reverse purely a mechanical function? When I look at the shift lever it actually seems possible to accidentally knock it into reverse (don't know how, it just strikes me as possible).
Old 11-12-2009, 02:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG
i don't think u can do that will be locked
Old 11-12-2009, 02:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 G37
Personally, I don't think the clutch will engage when moving at normal driving speeds. You'll essentially be driving in neutral until you slow down and the clutch engages the reverse gear.

Just what I think though, I've never tried to shift into reverse while going forwards...
Old 11-12-2009, 05:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
It's impossible to engage reverse while moving forward, there is an electronic/computer lockout safety feature that prevents it. You're ok even if you bump into it and throw it into reverse.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:42 AM

Volvo C30 R-design, CL63 AMG
Originally Posted by crazjayz
Personally, I don't think the clutch will engage when moving at normal driving speeds. You'll essentially be driving in neutral until you slow down and the clutch engages the reverse gear.

Just what I think though, I've never tried to shift into reverse while going forwards...
yea if you are moving at normal speeds it wont engage. and to even get it
in reverse you have to brake so u shouldnt really worry anyways.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:30 AM

2007 SRT8 Charger, 09' C63
I know this doesnt apply to the C63 car, but this actually happend to our 98' toyota 4runner many years ago. I was with my dad driving on the freeway at about 70mph and i accidently threw it in revers (dont remember how the hell i did that.lol) but it happend, and the rears tires locked up, the car started to screech really louddd, but my dad automatically popped it back to D, so nothing happend. But it sounded really bad, we thought we were going to start going sideways or somthing, horrible experience. By the way nothing happend to the car.lol i mean no damage was done because of that, we still have the car. Its an old Japanese beast!!!
Old 11-15-2009, 04:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
rev

I've personally seen this 2 times:

** 1st time riding in a brand new (then) 1985 Z28 Auto......... the person in the back seat stretches out across the console (don't ask why they were doing this.... it was 1985 LOL)......... while we're doing 65mph..... and kicks it into Reverse! All it did was make a tick-tick noise...... pulled over stopped car. Shifted to Drive and enjoyed all that Chevy could offer in 1985.

** 2nd time.... test driving my 1969 firebird after installing a performance transmission..... the shifter cable was adjusted wrong by me (again be nice... I was 16 yrs old at the the time )....... rolling through 1st then 2nd then somehow it goes to reverse! Car lurched to a stop with a loud BANG! Re-grouped.... made sure no one saw me...... started car up, and adjusted shifter cable.

I doubt the elec controls of the C63 would allow you to shift to reverse