Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW M3
Very nice custom work!
Those wheels are really sick!
I do however like Brad's signature more .....
Old 12-04-2009, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by otoupalik
that is the light playing differently on the two different materials the paint is on.

In person, it looks just like it came from the factory!
Factory paint is never right between plastic and metal. Metallic flake can not be sprayed to a magnetized surface like on the metal and it never matches. Every one of my metallic cars right now has pretty lousy factory color matching.

I just had a steal grey metalic car front bumper re-sprayed and the color match is better at the body shop than from the factory.

MB needs to figure the color matching process out.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by obsidian05e55
Front reflectors are shaved..
so the bumper was re-sprayed?
Old 12-04-2009, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Wow, looks like whatever body shop sprayed those bumpers forgot to do spray-out panels before painting the bumper! That is a terrible color match.

In the refinish world the base material isn't as important as it is at the factory. Factory bumpers use a conductive primer to allow the electrostatically charged paint to be attracted to the bumpers. No electrostatics in refinishing so the "plastic vs metal" gap is narrowed.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
This is kinda funny. A thread about the sweet carbon roofs Vorsteiner is making turned into a thread about color matching bumpers. LOL.

As far as the threadjack goes, my car looks pretty much perfect paint-wise. It's just the angle of that one shot that makes it look a little off. Truth be told, there's a couple "if you look at it from just the right angle it doesn't quite match" spots on the car, but that picture seems to exaggerate it a lot. And thanks for the compliments on the fenders. We were going for a subtle factory original look, and it came out just like we had hoped. I photoshopped up some pics of how I wanted it to look for the body shop to work from and that helped a lot.

Now on to that roof... I wish I wasn't so attached to having a sunroof, because that Vorsteiner piece is sick sick sick. Seriously light and just so damn sexy. But it IS a big commitment, and there's just too much beautiful sky in SoCal.

Keith, dude, you should totally go for the roof for a track car. All that weight off the top, like Brad said, is the second best place to lose it after the wheels. Besides it'll look super sick with that carbon hood you've got!

Josh
Old 12-05-2009, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
http://corporateportal.ppg.com/NR/rd...umperColor.pdf