Sponsored by:

C63 vs E550 (coupe or sedan).

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 BMW M5 Alpine White
C63 vs E550 (coupe or sedan).

I currently drive the V10 M5, but looking to get rid of it. Downsizing since I don't use the car that much.

I'm trying to decide between the C63, E550 4M sedan, E550 coupe and the IS-F.

Just drove the C63 yesterday.

Interior was a bit too plasticky. I was lounging around the showroom and the new E sedan and E coupe really impressed me --- in terms of the exterior looks and interior quality. The interior in particular was a cut above and C63.

Back to the C63. OK, I'm not crazy about the interior, but I can put up with it. The car that I drove was black and was dirty outside, so that may have influenced my impression that the exterior was just so-so. Seeing it in pictures as opposed to real life is different. I thought it would have a more menacing and more aggressive stance. It would really help if they offered it in 19-in wheels, but apparently North America only gets the 18-inchers. IMO, the E-coupe and E-sedan may look better.

In the C63, I noticed that there is no large gear indicator in the dash to let you know what gear you're in (the M5 has a large gear indicator plastered on the dash + HUD). But, I did notice that as I approached redline a red-colored message appeared on the dash telling me to upshift.

The 6.3L is nice. Loud and announces itself with authority when you speed down the road.

Steering has a nice weighty feel to it.

My tastes tends to be skewed more towards sport, but I’m quite surprised that the E cars have made this much of an impression on me. Maybe it’s about time I sacrifice performance for more luxury. That’s my dilemma.

I have to decide in 2 weeks whether or not to get the C63, if I want it at a certain date.

One thing that’s really souring me on the C63 is that I have to pay a $3200(CDN) gas-guzzler tax, as opposed to the E-class and IS-F, which have no such penalty.

Please help me decide.

Any advice is appreciated.

To those brave owners who currently drive their C63’s in the winter, your insight is appreciated too.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Sounds like this will be your only car. If it is, and depending on how much driving you do in a typical year, the fuel consumption on the C63 could well be a deciding factor.

If this isn't going to be your only vehicle, do you mind sharing with us what else you drive?
Old 12-07-2009, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Possibly a few helpful comments in this older thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...oupe-help.html
Old 12-07-2009, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 C63
Why not E63 seeing as you had an M5? Same class..
But if E63 is out of your price range then it would depend on what kind of car you like driving. C63 is a beast I'm sure you know from testing it out. The interior I agree could be better but it's not the worst. I personally love the AMG look to it. There is actually 19" option for Canadians (you're in Canada I assume because you said something about gas guzzler in CDN).

I think it comes down to IS-F or C63 if you like speed. I love the IS-F, even though I drive this car. Love it more than M3. IS-F is more rare and it's not completly on the sporty side. Since it's a Lexus they have incorporated their suspension into their cars so it's not as "rough" as some people might think the C63 is. True it is the slowest out of its class, but what you get in return was good gas milage. My friend got 32mpg on his a couple weeks ago. I think interior is done a little bit better, and I think their command center is done a little bit better than Mercedes. I highly recommend you test driving IS-F before making a decision...you know which direction I went but both good cars.

E class 4door and coupe. I love the new design. I personally would never get a coupe again just because it's a hassle to let people in and out. I'm lazy what can I say. Everything aesthetic will sure be better than the C or the IS of course, but you are sacrificing the power for that car so it depends on what you're really into.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:46 AM

2008 A4, 2008 TT
Same here.

I am debating between C63 and new BMW F10 5 series.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
First quick note, in the instrument cluster you can choose the AMG "tab" and it will show you in which gear you are in, it may not be huge but it is there in the top portion of the center cluster.
Bottom line is that you need to drive all the cars and your gut will tell you what you need.
If you make the choice based on what we tell you, you will regret it. For example, I was debating between an RS4 and a 997S a few years ago. I drove both and I got peer pressure to get the 997S as it was supposed to be the better "driver" car. I am a big fan of V8 torque and I basically ended up selling the car after one year becuase I did not like the fact that I had to rev up the engine to get it going.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:01 AM

2007 BMW M5 Alpine White
Originally Posted by Jae Duk
Why not E63 seeing as you had an M5? Same class..
But if E63 is out of your price range then it would depend on what kind of car you like driving. C63 is a beast I'm sure you know from testing it out. The interior I agree could be better but it's not the worst. I personally love the AMG look to it. There is actually 19" option for Canadians (you're in Canada I assume because you said something about gas guzzler in CDN).

I think it comes down to IS-F or C63 if you like speed. I love the IS-F, even though I drive this car. Love it more than M3. IS-F is more rare and it's not completly on the sporty side. Since it's a Lexus they have incorporated their suspension into their cars so it's not as "rough" as some people might think the C63 is. True it is the slowest out of its class, but what you get in return was good gas milage. My friend got 32mpg on his a couple weeks ago. I think interior is done a little bit better, and I think their command center is done a little bit better than Mercedes. I highly recommend you test driving IS-F before making a decision...you know which direction I went but both good cars.

E class 4door and coupe. I love the new design. I personally would never get a coupe again just because it's a hassle to let people in and out. I'm lazy what can I say. Everything aesthetic will sure be better than the C or the IS of course, but you are sacrificing the power for that car so it depends on what you're really into.
After leaving the Benz showroom on Saturday I thought for sure that a Mercedes will be my next car, but you’ve convinced me to give the IS-F a chance. I agree the IS-F is relatively rare. It's now fitted with the LSD + newly designed 19-inch BBS wheels for 2010. It's hard to ignore the value factor.

As it stands the IS-F is roughly $5K cheaper than the C63. The question is....is the C63 worth $5K more? That may be a wrong question to ask in an AMG forum.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:03 AM

2007 BMW M5 Alpine White
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Sounds like this will be your only car. If it is, and depending on how much driving you do in a typical year, the fuel consumption on the C63 could well be a deciding factor.

If this isn't going to be your only vehicle, do you mind sharing with us what else you drive?
I believe that the M5 guzzles more gas than the C63, so it’s just par for the course for me . Since I’m looking to cut costs, I suppose fuel mileage may factor into it…..but not by much. LOL.

Winter driving is another issue. I prefer that I don’t have to get a winter beater. I just sold my old A4.

The E63 is ideally suited for my tastes, but I can’t justify plunking that much dough for a car at the moment.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:06 AM

2007 BMW M5 Alpine White
Originally Posted by emericr
First quick note, in the instrument cluster you can choose the AMG "tab" and it will show you in which gear you are in, it may not be huge but it is there in the top portion of the center cluster.
Bottom line is that you need to drive all the cars and your gut will tell you what you need.
If you make the choice based on what we tell you, you will regret it. For example, I was debating between an RS4 and a 997S a few years ago. I drove both and I got peer pressure to get the 997S as it was supposed to be the better "driver" car. I am a big fan of V8 torque and I basically ended up selling the car after one year becuase I did not like the fact that I had to rev up the engine to get it going.
My heart is telling me to get the C63, but my wallet and brain wants the IS-F.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
For some reason the words "AMG" stuck in my head...u know what to do .

Andy