C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How about "Ultra High Perf All Season" Tires for the C63 AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by sizquik
My guess is that the all seasons will get chewed though very quickly as well and won't perform as well as a max performance tire. Maybe just go for a set all seasons and see how you like them.
I think the point is that the stiffer, All Season Ultra High Performance tire shouldn't get chewed up as quickly and should therefore last longer; the tires I'm looking at have a tread wear rating of between 400 and 500 AND tread life warranties from the manufacturer.

So, we'll see what happens...right now, I'm leaning toward the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (265/35/18), Z-rated (Y speed rated to 186mph), 500 tread wear rating w/ a 45k mi. tread life warranty (pro-rated $$ credit if they wear out quicker), AA traction rating, A Temp rating, and BJ's Wholesale Club has them for ~$277/each + tax installed.

Michelin - Pilot® Sport A/S Plus

$261.99

This price includes shipping and handling; an additional $15.00/tire installation package will be automatically added to purchase price at checkout (see BJ's Tire Promise for complete details). Price subject to state and local taxes/fees where applicable.
Unrivaled* Combination of All-Weather Performance and Wearin the Z-Rated Category.This next generation tire provides an unrivaled* combination of all-weather performance and tread life for high-end performance vehicles.

Additional Details

Features & Benefits

• Class-Leading All-Weather Performance*
    MICHELIN Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires are the only UHP tiresin the Michelin lineup to offer TriFusion™ Compound - three different compoundsbonded together on the tread face for superior all-weather performance
  • Best-in-Class Wet Grip*
    State-of-the-art directional tread pattern and wet-weathersilica compound combine for extreme wet-weather control..
  • 45,000 Mile Warranty†, without Compromising Performance Grip.*
    MICHELIN Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires are the first to make use of the enhanced MaxTouch Construction™ - a tire design innovation that delivers dramatically improved tread life without sacrificing performance. MICHELIN Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires are backed by a 45,000-mile limited warranty.†
  • †See manufacturer’s limited warranty book for details.
  • *Based on comparisons against the leading competitors inthe Ultra-High Performance All-Season class.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
Nice writeup! Question...I just read the Michelin mileage warranty (re: Michelin Pilot A/S Plus) and it says that you must rotate the tires at least every 7,500 mi. to stay in compliance with the mileage warranty; so what happens when you have a staggered setup like in the C63 AMG (and I'm guessing the E63 or E55) and you do not rotate the tires? Are you supposed to rotate the rear tires from L-R and vice-versa?

I rotate my wife's GL450's tires (non-staggered setup) every 5,000 mi., but haven't been rotating my C63 staggered tires.
I can't remember what the requirements were for the warranty - I do remember asking if the 50,000 mile warranty applies to a high horsepower rear wheel drive car and they said absolutely - just had to be even wear when they are inspected. Conti's are OEM for alot of german cars (e55 included) so I would think that there wouldn't be to much of a fight - especially if it's a partial credit instead of total replacement. Furthermore, not too many tire manufactures offer high performance AST's, let alone in the sizes our cars require so I would think that they would anticipate that with the warranty. Finally, with the camber settings of our cars, you're always going to have uneven wear (the insides will wear quicker than the outsides) and with a staggered set up, rotating the rears, I would think, would have little to no effect on wear rates. That being said, if they want me to rotate them ever 5000-7500 miles - i'll do it and document it, but as I said, I don't think it will help much...
Old 12-30-2009, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
I have purchased the BS RE960 A/S as well as the Pirelli PZero Nero A/S for use on two BMW M cars for winter driving in the Pacific Northwest. I can state that from the "performance driving" or "fun to drive" standpoint, even the best A/S tires suck. You can feel the tread squirm under even medium cornering and trust me, it is not a good feeling. I wouldn't do it...IMHO.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 4matic
well the Pzeros have a 220 treadwear and it looks like i MIGHT get 4k - 4.5k out of them. The sumis are a 300 treadwear and like previously stated probably will only last 7k. so im considering a summer tire with the highest treadwear i can find that matches the XL load as well. here is what im considering for the spring purchase. only buying two rears and then if i like them ill go with all four the next change...

Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport (Ultra High Performance Summer)
"Reviewer's Average Rating" is based on reviews
submitted by customers via our Online Tire Survey.
"N/A" denotes a tire that has not yet received
enough reviews to generate an average rating.8.6Reviewer's
Avg. Rating: Front: 235/40R18
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 95WLoad Index 95 = 1521lbs (690kg) per tire
Speed Rating "W" = 168mph (270kph)
Load Range: XL
UTQG: Treadwear: 340
Traction: A
Temperature: A
340 A APrice: $147.00 (each)
Estimated Availability: In Stock
Qty:
012345678Optional Road Hazard Program: Add $17.64 per tire

Rear: 255/35R18
Serv. Desc: 90WLoad Index 90 = 1323lbs (600kg) per tire
340 A APrice: $173.00 (each)
Old 12-31-2009, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by eagle_lex
well the Pzeros have a 220 treadwear and it looks like i MIGHT get 4k - 4.5k out of them. The sumis are a 300 treadwear and like previously stated probably will only last 7k. so im considering a summer tire with the highest treadwear i can find that matches the XL load as well. here is what im considering for the spring purchase. only buying two rears and then if i like them ill go with all four the next change...

Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport (Ultra High Performance Summer)
"Reviewer's Average Rating" is based on reviews
submitted by customers via our Online Tire Survey.
"N/A" denotes a tire that has not yet received
enough reviews to generate an average rating.8.6Reviewer's
Avg. Rating: Front: 235/40R18
Serv. Desc: 95WLoad Index 95 = 1521lbs (690kg) per tire
Load Range: XL
340 A APrice: $147.00 (each)
Qty:
012345678Optional Road Hazard Program: Add $17.64 per tire

Rear: 255/35R18
Serv. Desc: 90WLoad Index 90 = 1323lbs (600kg) per tire
340 A APrice: $173.00 (each)
LOL, eagle_lex...that's what I have now for my rear tires! Great tire; works well with the C63 AMG, but again, even with a 340 tread wear rating, it will only last ~ 8k mi. on the C63 AMG (and I'm fairly easy on them...no burnouts, ~ 90% highway driving, etc.).

This is the exact reason why I'm thinking about going with an "ultra high performance ALL SEASON" tire with a 500 tread wear rating and a 45k mi. mileage warranty (leaning toward the Michelein Pilot Sport A/S Plus...see above post # 26)!!!!

Last edited by sflgator; 12-31-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 4matic
@Sflgator -

yea but i dont think we are going to be happy with a 45k mile tire on this car.... just my thinking here. if i can get 8 - 10k then i will only have to buy rear tires every year or year and a half. i know you probably drive your car daily so that sucks. i totally see your point. let us know what you do and what tires you end up liking. it will be good for us low mileage drivers to find out from you guys who put more miles on your cars. i turely appreciate your insight.

if anyone else has some input lets hear it!!!
Old 12-31-2009, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by eagle_lex
@Sflgator -

yea but i dont think we are going to be happy with a 45k mile tire on this car.... just my thinking here. if i can get 8 - 10k then i will only have to buy rear tires every year or year and a half. i know you probably drive your car daily so that sucks. i totally see your point. let us know what you do and what tires you end up liking. it will be good for us low mileage drivers to find out from you guys who put more miles on your cars. i turely appreciate your insight.

if anyone else has some input lets hear it!!!
Will do. Yes, I should be driving my C63 AMG approx. 20-25k mi./year, so I really need rear tires that will last longer than 8k mi. I think I'm going to try the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, 265-35-18 (should be getting them in Jan or Feb) and will let everyone know my thoughts after a few thousand miles. But, I would like to get some more opinions from those who have experience with A/S tires in the rear.

btw -- if they didn't wear out in ~ 8k mi., I would get another set of rear Bridgestone Potenza Sport RE760's...been very happy with them thus far.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2009, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Just ordered the T1-R's @ 175 + s/h and mount/balance, we'll see how long they last.

Its a good plan to go with a tire with a warranty to exercise that benefit when they wear out in 10k, Im just unsure how well they will stick...you're going to have to take a leap of faith dude!
Old 12-31-2009, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by rory breaker
Just ordered the T1-R's @ 175 + s/h and mount/balance, we'll see how long they last.

Its a good plan to go with a tire with a warranty to exercise that benefit when they wear out in 10k, Im just unsure how well they will stick...you're going to have to take a leap of faith dude!
True, but I know these Micehlin Pilot A/S Sport's have a tread wear rating of 500 (with a 45k mi. mileage warranty), AND a traction rating AA / temp rating A. I guess I may find out how good they are in the S. Florida heat; they should at least be great in the rain (being an all season tire) .
Old 12-31-2009, 10:25 AM

2011 E63
I have the Micehlin Pilot A/S Sport's on my C63 after two sets of PZeros. I have had them on for approx. 30-days. So far I do like them. I don't feel like I have lost too much performance and I am looking forward to keeping rears on my car for more than 6-7,000 miles! I don't expect 45,000 miles, but 10-12,000 would be great.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by scott C32
I have the Micehlin Pilot A/S Sport's on my C63 after two sets of PZeros. I have had them on for approx. 30-days. So far I do like them. I don't feel like I have lost too much performance and I am looking forward to keeping rears on my car for more than 6-7,000 miles! I don't expect 45,000 miles, but 10-12,000 would be great.
Fantastic!!! Yeah, I would expect to see ~ 12k-15k mi. out of them, and then get a pro-rated credit for new tires when they wear out. Question...are you planning on rotating them from side to side (although that shouldn't reduce their wear) to stay in compliance with the Michelin mileage warranty? Or is it unnecessary to rotate them since they're only on the rear in our staggered wheel/tire setup?
Old 12-31-2009, 10:44 AM

2011 E63
I wasn't going to rotate. And I did go 265 in the rear.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:13 AM

2014 Lotus Evora S
Could you please comment on cornering and hard acceleration? I would expect a lateral move on cornering because of the softer sidewalls and less traction on hard acceleration. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:22 AM

2011 E63
My car is stock and so far I have been surprised with the hard acceleration. Very little slip (from my perspective) relative to the OEM. I am assuming the 265's are offsetting some of that. I really haven't pushed them in the corners yet, I am sure that is where I will feel the difference.
I struggled with the tire issues as most have here. By my screen name, you can see I have had a C32 in the past, and a 911 C2 Cab. I have gone through the p-zeros, PS2's, Sport Contact 2&3's. This is the first time I have "stepped down" on the performance tire ladder. It is still early to make final judgement, but so far I like these tires.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:26 AM

2014 Lotus Evora S
My car is stock and so far I have been surprised with the hard acceleration. Very little slip (from my perspective) relative to the OEM. I am assuming the 265's are offsetting some of that. I really haven't pushed them in the corners yet, I am sure that is where I will feel the difference.
I struggled with the tire issues as most have here. By my screen name, you can see I have had a C32 in the past, and a 911 C2 Cab. I have gone through the p-zeros, PS2's, Sport Contact 2&3's. This is the first time I have "stepped down" on the performance tire ladder. It is still early to make final judgement, but so far I like these tires.
Thanks for the reply. Since you've tried both Pzeros and PS2s, how would you compare them to each other. I'm thinking of going with PS2s to replace my rear Pzeros when the winter is over. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:30 AM

2011 E63
I actually like the p-zeros better. I feel they are better in corners. A bit stickier. Neither have lasted on any of the cars I have had them on and are close to the same price. My $.02.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Sounds good. It looks like my Bridgestone Potenza Sport RE760's have another ~ 1k mi. left on them, so I should be needing new rears in about 3-4 weeks; most likely going to BJ's to get a set of Michelin Pilot A/S Plus'.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:11 PM

2014 Lotus Evora S
I actually like the p-zeros better. I feel they are better in corners. A bit stickier. Neither have lasted on any of the cars I have had them on and are close to the same price. My $.02.
Thanks Scott. Unlike many other ppl, I've been happy all along with my Pzeros except for longevity (of course) and comfort perhaps (they feel quite hard even on little cracks on the road). Since I have to replace the tires so often, I wanted to take the opportunity to try a different set. Given your comment, I may stick with Pzeros then but go with 265 instead of 255 for a change. My second choices are the Goodyear F1 (higher tread life and more comfortable but slightly less traction) and the Dunlop Direzza Z1 (even stickier than the Pzeros but shorter tread life). I'll make this decision not before March anyway.

Thanks again.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Originally Posted by sflgator
Fantastic!!! Yeah, I would expect to see ~ 12k-15k mi. out of them, and then get a pro-rated credit for new tires when they wear out. Question...are you planning on rotating them from side to side (although that shouldn't reduce their wear) to stay in compliance with the Michelin mileage warranty? Or is it unnecessary to rotate them since they're only on the rear in our staggered wheel/tire setup?
I would bet judging by the tread pattern that these are uni-directional and cannot be rotated from side to side unless remounted with the insides out. Any V pattern tread always rotates with the point of the V going first. That being said, a remount and balance may help with the uneven tire wear issue.
Good luck with the decision and I hope you set a new longevity record.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Has anyone wondered just exactly why the C63 eats through rear tires at the speed that it does? Are other 63s doing that? I've yet to hear of E, S, SL, or CL 63 owners complaining about this issue, and those cars have even more power, and more torque, than the C. Is there something seriously wrong with the rear suspension geometry on the C63?
Old 12-31-2009, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
If it helps anyone, I just got my Toyo T1-R's at Discount Tire (they matched onlinetires price of $175 + s/h) installed and bought the add'l warranty for $29 per tire. That included a 30,000 mile warranty which means if they last 10k, they will give me a credit for 66% of the cost of the tire.

Should work out in the end if I dont get the expected mileage of 30k.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 F150 FX4 SCrew. '14 S212S
Originally Posted by sflgator
And, here's another one I may consider; it too has received high marks and carries a 40k mileage warranty...

$235, Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position 265/35R-18 93W B Z-speed rated.
Didn't read the whole thread. I had these on my E46 M3 cab (weighs near the same as the C63). They lasted maybe 6000 miles (10K kms). And that car has no torque.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 F150 FX4 SCrew. '14 S212S
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Has anyone wondered just exactly why the C63 eats through rear tires at the speed that it does? Are other 63s doing that? I've yet to hear of E, S, SL, or CL 63 owners complaining about this issue, and those cars have even more power, and more torque, than the C. Is there something seriously wrong with the rear suspension geometry on the C63?
C63 drivers have heavy feet.

My E46 M3 and my 335 go through tires at the same rate. I get about 10K kms out of a set of rears.

I think E63 drivers probably spend more time in C rather than S or M.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by benyl
Didn't read the whole thread. I had these on my E46 M3 cab (weighs near the same as the C63). They lasted maybe 6000 miles (10K kms). And that car has no torque.
Originally Posted by benyl
C63 drivers have heavy feet.

My E46 M3 and my 335 go through tires at the same rate. I get about 10K kms out of a set of rears.

I think E63 drivers probably spend more time in C rather than S or M.
Well, from what I've read, it seems the Bridgestone RE960 A/S Pole Position tires don't get as high ratings from drivers as the Michelin Pilot A/S Plus tires; and yes, even though they carry a 30k mi. mileage warranty, they seem to wear out quicker (even on cars with much lower HP/TQ than the C63 AMG). So, I won't be getting the Bridgestones.

Also, I think you're somewhat right about us C63 AMG (and M3 and tuned 335i) drivers; however, it's been said that the C63 AMG seems to go through rear tires very quickly due to the negative camber setup on its suspension. So, MB made the C63 AMG handle very well, but at the expense of rear tires!
Old 12-31-2009, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by rory breaker
If it helps anyone, I just got my Toyo T1-R's at Discount Tire (they matched onlinetires price of $175 + s/h) installed and bought the add'l warranty for $29 per tire. That included a 30,000 mile warranty which means if they last 10k, they will give me a credit for 66% of the cost of the tire.

Should work out in the end if I dont get the expected mileage of 30k.
I've looked around the Net for these tires (Toto Proxes T1R), and haven't seen where it states they carry a 30k mileage warranty. Usually any "warranty" purchased separately on a tire is just a "Road Hazard" warranty and not an actual mfgr's tread life warranty; check to see if your 3rd party warranty also covers tread life not due to a mfgr's defect.

Also, these are ultra high performance summer tires which have a tread wear rating of 280; that should only be good for ~ 6k mi. on the C63 AMG. The Toyo Proxes T1R look like great tires, but again, I imagine they will not last long either.

Last edited by sflgator; 12-31-2009 at 04:00 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How about "Ultra High Perf All Season" Tires for the C63 AMG?