C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How about "Ultra High Perf All Season" Tires for the C63 AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
How about "Ultra High Perf All Season" Tires for the C63 AMG?

Ok, sorry for "another tire thread," but I just started thinking again about rear tires for my C63 AMG (have ~ 7k mi. on my rear Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports and love them, but they only have another 500-1k mi. left ).

Has anyone tried "Ultra High Performance All Season" tires for the rear on their C63 AMG?

I've been reading some fantastic reviews of the Michelin Pilot Sport Plus A/S (all season). They have a traction/temp of A/A AND are still a Z speed rated tire. In addition, they have a 500 tread wear rating AND have a 45,000 mi. mileage warranty!!!! At ~ $250/tire (265/35/18), they're a bit pricier than some other high perf summer tires, but if they last 2-3 x as long, then they may be worth the extra cost (especially with a 45k mi. warranty which can be prorated and credited toward new tires when they wear out quicker).

Now, I do NOT live in a cold climate and never see snow, but of course, we get plenty of very bad thunderstorms with heavy downpours. A majority of the time is spent in hot, summer like S. Florida weather.

Could tires like these do well on the rear of the C63 AMG without too much sacrifice to good traction and handling? Thoughts and/or experiences?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+ A%2FS+Plus

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...alse&fsv=false

If this is not a good solution, then I may just get another rear set of Bridgestone Potenza Sport RE760's or go back to Falken FK452's (had them on my tuned '07 BMW 335i and loved them).

Last edited by sflgator; 12-29-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:07 PM
JM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204
No.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jeffield
No.
"No," what?...please elaborate. Have you had any experience with these tires or something similar on your C63?
Old 12-29-2009, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63, SLK, F150
Everyone has there own taste in tires. So choose as you wish. Sometime cheap is not the way to go. What I have and I am very happy with for the abuse I dish out is the following Ulta High Pro All Season tires. These are fitted on stock 18" rimes and no rubs, and works fine. Only complaint is that they are a little (lot) load at 150mph to 160mph and above. Tread life in dry SOCAL is very good since it has a 400 rating. I average 25,000 on the rears now and still got some tread left to last the wet season here. ( I do a lot of tourque ESP off "S" mode takeoffs but do NOT smoke the tires at every light I am just agressive not abusive all the time).
275/35R-18 (rear) 245/40R-18 (front) Goodyear All Season F1
They work well for me and lst a while too.
No complaints.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 4matic
so is it a huge "no no" to put all seasons on my rear when i still have a ton of treadlife on my summer fronts??
Old 12-29-2009, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by pmknapp
Everyone has there own taste in tires. So choose as you wish. Sometime cheap is not the way to go. What I have and I am very happy with for the abuse I dish out is the following Ulta High Pro All Season tires. These are fitted on stock 18" rimes and no rubs, and works fine. Only complaint is that they are a little (lot) load at 150mph to 160mph and above. Tread life in dry SOCAL is very good since it has a 400 rating. I average 25,000 on the rears now and still got some tread left to last the wet season here. ( I do a lot of tourque ESP off "S" mode takeoffs but do NOT smoke the tires at every light I am just agressive not abusive all the time).
275/35R-18 (rear) 245/40R-18 (front) Goodyear All Season F1
They work well for me and lst a while too.
No complaints.
Wow...25k mi. average!!! I'd kill for that on my C63 AMG. I saw the GY Eagle F1 A/S, and thought about those as an option too, although I noticed they don't have the mileage warranty like the Michelins (although you seem to be getting great tread wear out of them). I may have to look at the Eagle F1 A/S again though. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by eagle_lex
so is it a huge "no no" to put all seasons on my rear when i still have a ton of treadlife on my summer fronts??
+1 My front oem Pirelli P-Zero's still have plenty of tread life left (12k mi. on them thus far); looking to just replace the rears again soon. Then, whichever tire I have on the rear (when the fronts need to be changed) is what I'll go with for the fronts.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 4matic
thats what i was considering i just didnt know if i was LOCKED into buy only summer tires on the rear to match them to the summer fronts..... i know on sport bikes people are all the time using harder compound on the rear and softer on the front... i dont track my car so would it hurt to do this for now if i only drive it spirited on the street??
Old 12-29-2009, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63, SLK, F150
I know it might be not "right" to miss-Match a/s with stock or so on, but I did that for about 12,000 until I wore the fronts out. I know its ok to mis-match tires with similar tread. I do not track the car with those tires but for agressive street use they are ok.
As far as Michelins having the warrenty, I am not aware of ANY sport tires that is rated at "Z" to have a warrenty on tread life alone. Usually on road hazzard and so on but not on tread life, maybe need to look into that furthur. Now if you get a road hazzard insurance on tires and then within 1/32 of tread life left and you somehow pop a nail in the sidewall, then yes they will replace it, but it its out of 1/32 tread life then its not covered. I have 53,000 on my car now and have only gone through 4 sets of tires, 2 sets of Stockers only lasted 7,000 combined, and 2 sets of GY A/S F1 since then. Not bad for me and I KNOW I do drive hard.
Be safe
And yes they handle of in wet weather.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:31 PM

C63AMG
Kumho Ecsta ASX

Originally Posted by sflgator
Ok, sorry for "another tire thread," but I just started thinking again about rear tires for my C63 AMG (have ~ 7k mi. on my rear Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports and love them, but they only have another 500-1k mi. left ).

Has anyone tried "Ultra High Performance All Season" tires for the rear on their C63 AMG?

I've been reading some fantastic reviews of the Michelin Pilot Sport Plus A/S (all season). They have a traction/temp of A/A AND are still a Z speed rated tire. In addition, they have a 500 tread wear rating AND have a 45,000 mi. mileage warranty!!!! At ~ $250/tire (265/35/18), they're a bit pricier than some other high perf summer tires, but if they last 2-3 x as long, then they may be worth the extra cost (especially with a 45k mi. warranty which can be prorated and credited toward new tires when they wear out quicker).

Now, I do NOT live in a cold climate and never see snow, but of course, we get plenty of very bad thunderstorms with heavy downpours. A majority of the time is spent in hot, summer like S. Florida weather.

Could tires like these do well on the rear of the C63 AMG without too much sacrifice to good traction and handling? Thoughts and/or experiences?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+ A%2FS+Plus

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...alse&fsv=false

If this is not a good solution, then I may just get another rear set of Bridgestone Potenza Sport RE760's or go back to Falken FK452's (had them on my tuned '07 BMW 335i and loved them).
Since I don't like changing two tires at a time, went with four new Kumhos. They're working great. Good luck.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...led-today.html
Old 12-29-2009, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by pmknapp
I know it might be not "right" to miss-Match a/s with stock or so on, but I did that for about 12,000 until I wore the fronts out. I know its ok to mis-match tires with similar tread. I do not track the car with those tires but for agressive street use they are ok.
As far as Michelins having the warrenty, I am not aware of ANY sport tires that is rated at "Z" to have a warrenty on tread life alone. Usually on road hazzard and so on but not on tread life, maybe need to look into that furthur. Now if you get a road hazzard insurance on tires and then within 1/32 of tread life left and you somehow pop a nail in the sidewall, then yes they will replace it, but it its out of 1/32 tread life then its not covered. I have 53,000 on my car now and have only gone through 4 sets of tires, 2 sets of Stockers only lasted 7,000 combined, and 2 sets of GY A/S F1 since then. Not bad for me and I KNOW I do drive hard.
Be safe
And yes they handle of in wet weather.
The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (All Season) tire tread life mileage warranty:

Pilot Sport A/S Plus

OverviewSizes & PricingSurveyReviewsTestsSpecs

Performance Category:
Ultra High Performance All-Season

Treadlife Warranty 6 Years / 45,000 miles Uniformity Warranty 1 Year / first 2/32" of wear Workmanship & Materials Warranty 6 Years / Free replacement first year, 2/32" or 25% of wear, then prorated until 2/32" remaining depth Manufacturer's Road Hazard Warranty None Manufacturer Warranty Brochure Download PDF Manufacturer Special Warranty None Overall Tire Warranty Rating*
265/35ZR18
Load Index 97 = 1609lbs (730kg) per tire
Speed Rating “Y” = 186mph (300kph) 97Y
XL Treadwear: 500
Traction: AA
Temperature: A500 AA A
1609 lbs.
50 psi
10/32"
26 lbs. 9-10.5"
9.5"
10.7"
NA
25.3"
Country of Origin "US" = UNITED STATES OF AMERICAUS
Old 12-29-2009, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by lomita
Since I don't like changing two tires at a time, went with four new Kumhos. They're working great. Good luck.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...led-today.html
Since you just installed, long-term tread wear on the C63 AMG is unknown. But, I like the fact that this tire has a 30k mileage warranty and a 420 tread wear rating.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
And, here's another one I may consider; it too has received high marks and carries a 40k mileage warranty...

$235, Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position 265/35R-18 93W B Z-speed rated.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
500 Treadwear will last a lot longer the summer tires, but the rear end is going to spin really easy under hard accelerating or cornering. Might be fun for drifting
Old 12-30-2009, 08:42 AM

2010 C350 Arctic White/Black
re: the michelin pilot a/s, i think the load rating of the front tires wud not be sufficient since they are not xl load rated. if fronts are 235/40-18s, they r only load rated for 91.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
get yourself some sumitomo htr ZIIIs.

They are a max performance tire at a great price with performance that is not far from PS2s.

The porsche guys love them.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by vrusso
re: the michelin pilot a/s, i think the load rating of the front tires wud not be sufficient since they are not xl load rated. if fronts are 235/40-18s, they r only load rated for 91.

The oem Pirelli P-Zero's (front 235/40/18) say "extra load" on them????
Old 12-30-2009, 07:22 PM

2014 Lotus Evora S
I'm on the same boat as you are sflgator. I'd like to have more durability but I gave up. None of the decent tires are good enough on tread life. If they are all mediocre on longevity, I'm focusing more on traction in acceleration and cornering in "regular" city driving. After winter, my next rear tires will either be the Goodyear F1 or the Michelin PS2. But I read the recent thread about the Toyos or the one before about the Dunlops star someting. I'm still debating.

I you find a miracle tire for tread life that has a decent traction, please let us know!
Old 12-30-2009, 07:31 PM

2009 C63 with Eurocharged tune and charcoal delete
I'm sorry to be so skeptical, and if I'm wrong I sincerely apologize, but it's really hard for me to believe the 25K mileage story on the rears. I drive pretty conservatively (zero burnouts, street racing, or track time) and I went through the PZeros in 4K miles, just like everyone else on this forum. I switched to Sumi HTRZIIIs and they are shot after 6K (about what one would expect, going from the 220 treadwear of the PZeros to the 300 treadwear of the Sumi's). By my calculations you'd need a treadwear rating of about 1500 to make them go 25K miles. Based on my experience I dont think round granite slabs would last 25K miles on this thing. I would expect 10K to be about the outside maximum tread life for anything that could remotely provide the required levels of grip for daily use. Somebody please enlighten me.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Palladin
I'm sorry to be so skeptical, and if I'm wrong I sincerely apologize, but it's really hard for me to believe the 25K mileage story on the rears. I drive pretty conservatively (zero burnouts, street racing, or track time) and I went through the PZeros in 4K miles, just like everyone else on this forum. I switched to Sumi HTRZIIIs and they are shot after 6K (about what one would expect, going from the 220 treadwear of the PZeros to the 300 treadwear of the Sumi's). By my calculations you'd need a treadwear rating of about 1500 to make them go 25K miles. Based on my experience I dont think round granite slabs would last 25K miles on this thing. I would expect 10K to be about the outside maximum tread life for anything that could remotely provide the required levels of grip for daily use. Somebody please enlighten me.
+1. FWIW, my current Bridgestone Potenza Sport RE760's have a tread wear rating of 340, and they have ~ 7k mi. on them with maybe another 500-1,000mi. left before they're shot. This is why I'm thinking about "ultra high performance ALL Season" tires with a tread wear rating of 400-500 and a mileage warranty for my next set of rears.

Last edited by sflgator; 12-30-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:47 PM

This car needs max performance tires or snow tires.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by sizquik
This car needs max performance tires or snow tires.
Why? I love how some ppl just give their $0.02 without any explanation. Have you read through this thread? We all have a dilemma here with the C63 eating rear tires every 4-8k mi.; for me, that means buying a new set of rear tires at least 3 x/year, which is just unacceptable. I would like to find another solution that gives me a decent "high performance" tire that lasts on the rear of my car for at least 12k mi.; or at the very least, has a mileage warranty so that when they wear out in 6-10k mi., I get some sort of credit toward a new set of tires.

Last edited by sflgator; 12-30-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
I have the Conti Extreme DWS (Dry, Wet, Snow) and they are awesome - good dry grip, phenomenal WET grip - haven't tried in the snow and never will. Bought them because it's currently 17 degrees out and summer tires turn into hockey pucks at those temps and can very very scary. So far tread wear is good - can't really notice (currently have about 5-6 short burn outs on them and have let two friends and my brother drive it with them on and those drives were very spirited). They squirm a little under hard acceleration, you get some wiggles but really, what tires aren't going to do that under full launch. Currently have about 5000 miles on them with the above conditions and wear is minimal at best. The only real difference you're going to notice is that the sidewalls are softer than the summer tires. Positive - I now ride with the suspension in sports 2 all the time and it is very compliant. Negative - when turning hard there is a definite push feeling from the softer side walls. For what's its worth - I'm going through the same debate right now - I just ordered 19 inch Forgestars from Godfather and once those come I don't know whether to put Vredeseins on (harsher ride, but more turning feel) or put the on the Conti's again in 19's to soften up the ride with the only real sacrifice being the vague steering with aggressive turning - not the grip? Oh yeah - they come with a 50,000 mile warranty
Old 12-30-2009, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by motorkas
I have the Conti Extreme DWS (Dry, Wet, Snow) and they are awesome - good dry grip, phenomenal WET grip - haven't tried in the snow and never will. Bought them because it's currently 17 degrees out and summer tires turn into hockey pucks at those temps and can very very scary. So far tread wear is good - can't really notice (currently have about 5-6 short burn outs on them and have let two friends and my brother drive it with them on and those drives were very spirited). They squirm a little under hard acceleration, you get some wiggles but really, what tires aren't going to do that under full launch. Currently have about 5000 miles on them with the above conditions and wear is minimal at best. The only real difference you're going to notice is that the sidewalls are softer than the summer tires. Positive - I now ride with the suspension in sports 2 all the time and it is very compliant. Negative - when turning hard there is a definite push feeling from the softer side walls. For what's its worth - I'm going through the same debate right now - I just ordered 19 inch Forgestars from Godfather and once those come I don't know whether to put Vredeseins on (harsher ride, but more turning feel) or put the on the Conti's again in 19's to soften up the ride with the only real sacrifice being the vague steering with aggressive turning - not the grip? Oh yeah - they come with a 50,000 mile warranty
Nice writeup! Question...I just read the Michelin mileage warranty (re: Michelin Pilot A/S Plus) and it says that you must rotate the tires at least every 7,500 mi. to stay in compliance with the mileage warranty; so what happens when you have a staggered setup like in the C63 AMG (and I'm guessing the E63 or E55) and you do not rotate the tires? Are you supposed to rotate the rear tires from L-R and vice-versa?

I rotate my wife's GL450's tires (non-staggered setup) every 5,000 mi., but haven't been rotating my C63 staggered tires.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by sflgator
Why? I love how some ppl just give their $0.02 without any explanation. Have you read through this thread? We all have a dilemma here with the C63 eating rear tires every 4-8k mi.; for me, that means buying a new set of rear tires at least 3 x/year, which is just unacceptable. I would like to find another solution that gives me a decent "high performance" tire that lasts on the rear of my car for at least 12k mi.; or at the very least, has a mileage warranty so that when they wear out in 6-10k mi., I get some sort of credit toward a new set of tires.
My guess is that the all seasons will get chewed though very quickly as well and won't perform as well as a max performance tire. Maybe just go for a set all seasons and see how you like them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How about "Ultra High Perf All Season" Tires for the C63 AMG?