Sponsored by:

rear tire decision

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 12:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 4matic
rear tire decision

Ok so with less than 3k miles on my GENTLY used 63 i have decided to run the OEM Ps for the first part of spring until they seem bad in the rain. then i am going to replace them with Conti DWS performace all seasons from tirerack. i know tirerack discourages mixing the all season rears with the P max summer fronts but i going against their reccomendation. the fronts look brand new and i just cant bring myself to throw them out.....
Old 01-14-2010, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
Don't do it. All seasons on an AMG? I know tire life blows, but you don't cut corners on this type of car.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:17 PM

2012 E350 4matic
i understand that... but putting new tires (even inexpensive ones like Sumis) gets old real quick. plus living in Kentucky the temp gets low while the streets are still free of salt and snow. i wont drive if the road is dirty much less covered in snow but i do enjoy driving my car to dinner and running errands on the weekends in the late fall and winter. so i figured since i NEVER do aggressive driving (and i know this car is def overkill for how i use it but i like the car so i bought it) i dont see a reason for such a sticky tire.

i drive mostly interstate and around town so i dont see the need for such a great tire as the OEM Ps.

i do appreciate any thoughts and or ideas however! thanks alot.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
if you have no care for performnce and really dont drive the car hard, then i dont see any harm in putting on all-seasons. you're not losing any performance because you dont use it anyway. power to you by the way, i dont know how you could resist from driving hard. i wish i was like you i mean im not crazy with the car but i have my urges haha
Old 01-14-2010, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
FWIW, many ppl have said they have put good A/S tires (like Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus and Conti DWS Perf A/S) on their C63 AMG and found little difference in traction (AA traction ratings) and performance from high perf summer tires; the main diff is the A/S tires last much longer with much higher 400-500 tread wear ratings. I will be replacing my 2nd set of rears (Bridegestone Potenza Sport RE760's) with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires in a couple weeks, while my oem Pirelli P-Zeros remain on front after 12k+ miles.

Last edited by sflgator; 01-14-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
I have the DWS's currently as my winter set up - great tire - more than enough for what you state you driving style is. I've put about 6,000 miles on them and you can't really tell any wear (I have turned off the ESP and floored it on more than one occasion). They're great in the dry (a member here ran a 11.55 1/4 with these tires on his SL600), down right freakishly grippy in the wet and as an added bonus for your driving style, since the side walls are soft, will greatly increase the compliance of your ride (making it softer and taking the "bite" out the bumps in the road). I would, however, recommend that you scratch your plan for mixing. Replace all four and keep the fronts as "spares" just in case.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:02 PM

2012 E350 4matic
fronts as spares.... might be a great idea... thanks.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:57 PM

c63 amg
Originally Posted by eagle_lex
fronts as spares.... might be a great idea... thanks.
You could actually sell them (the P zeros) on an internet classified site pretty easily. They could pay for a good protion of your new front tires.