C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Slip sliding away..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63
Slip sliding away..

Hi there, I've been reading post here for a long time and I've had my C for a month now. I have a quick question for anyone who drives a lot in the rain - it rains a little here in Vancouver... I seem to hydroplane VERY bad in standing water on the highway. Like the back end is going to come right around everytime i go through a puddle. The whole car shudders. I have the stock Pirelli’s but just had H&R springs put on. Would that (springs) cause this more then the stock ones?

Also, anyone in Vancouver had S&R do a ecu flash for them?
Old 01-16-2010, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
The stiffer springs will not "bounce" back as smoothly or softly as the OEM, therefore you will ge that shuddering feeling sometimes, just as if and when you race start, sometimes with the stiffer springs it will be harder to launch than the OEM because there is more give or absorbtion of the pavement with the softer ones.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:41 PM

2010 C63
Thanks Nick, i didn't dotice it being that bad before the new springs...
Old 01-18-2010, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
Tire wear will have more to do with it than anything else. I doubt your springs have anything to do with it since the suspension is probably not even moving while going through a puddle.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
Tire wear will have more to do with it than anything else.
+1

You're tires are dedicated summer tires that really shouldn't be run in temps below 50 degrees. Add to that, alot of summer tires sacrifice wet grip for ultimate dry grip and it could be a major contributor to your problem. I would research tires that have a high amount of wet grip (they are actually starting to make tires that specifically address this issue) and contemplate running a dedicated summer/winter set up.

Just my two cents. Hope it helps.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by motorkas
+1

You're tires are dedicated summer tires that really shouldn't be run in temps below 50 degrees. Add to that, alot of summer tires sacrifice wet grip for ultimate dry grip and it could be a major contributor to your problem. I would research tires that have a high amount of wet grip (they are actually starting to make tires that specifically address this issue) and contemplate running a dedicated summer/winter set up.

Just my two cents. Hope it helps.
+1. Indeed the tires. It was like an arcade inside my car with the yellow traction triangle going off constantly. I am still pretty decent on the stock perellis but don't even mess with poor road conditions. I have had my scare of having the rear just silde around like no other even in the slightest snow fall or wet surfaces. I can't wait to feel the difference once I change the tires to an all season or dedicated wet grip tires...
Old 01-19-2010, 10:10 PM

c63 amg
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
+1. Indeed the tires. It was like an arcade inside my car with the yellow traction triangle going off constantly. I am still pretty decent on the stock perellis but don't even mess with poor road conditions. I have had my scare of having the rear just silde around like no other even in the slightest snow fall or wet surfaces. I can't wait to feel the difference once I change the tires to an all season or dedicated wet grip tires...
If you drove with the p-zeros even in light snow you're braver than I am.

BCC63, what's the wear on your rear tires?

Do the roads that you take have bad road "ditch " in them (depression of the pavement where the tires ride)?

I so you could have the aquaplaning even with 4 season tires.

Shudder could be caused by stiffer springs IMO
Old 04-24-2017, 08:22 PM

Received 83 Likes on 49 Posts
2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Speed is a more important factor in promoting hydroplane than most drivers recognize.

The experts say, and I can from personal experience with a 2002 Corvette Z06 (wide rear high performance tires) that the magic speed is 55 mph. That is usually safe unless the rainfall rate and surface water depth is very high, but above that, you are very likely to start planing with any wide, performance oriented tire. No kidding.

Jim G

p.s. I know it's a very old thread, but it's remarkably relevant still, especially to those of us on Vancouver Island!