C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys I really want your help with answers!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S 350
The problem with this I think the dealers could void the warranty. Because if there is a defect with your 8th cylinder they can say it that it was due to the modification that change the engine behavior that was not "approved" by MB that caused the damage or whatever.. Sorry to say that this is a very hard one to win.. Even though some people might say they have mods done and dealers did warranty work i think that that is to the dealers discretion and they had the choice to do it or not, because the way i look at if i was a dealer i would say Mods effected the engine and now engine is broken thus mods is the cause.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:25 AM

c63 amg
Originally Posted by bigben320e
I would take it to a mod friendly dealer. Get your car away from that dealer ASAP if you have not already.

A good example of this is in Atl, 2 dealers hate dealing with mods on cars. They will not touch your car, period. Two of them actually do Kleeman and Renntech mods, and will work on cars that have them.
MB dealers doing kleeman and renntech mods WOW.

HOTlanta ROCKS.

Wish I had dealers like this in montreal.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
13 Lamborghini SL, 20 Porsche 911 (sold), 09 C63(sold), Vipers (sold)
There is a MB dealer in Dallas that offers both Renntech and Kleeman mods. Hard to really know what would happen if you have a warranty issue.......
Old 02-14-2010, 03:54 AM

C63 AMG
Yup mine was scratched up thAt's how they found out!!
Old 02-14-2010, 03:58 AM

C63 AMG
Ok guys here's the update the car went in for them to open the whole exhaust to check wha the problem was which I have to pay for labour kuz they won't work on it under warranty! And they found that one of my cats is broken from inside which they are the filters inside!! So now should I be concerend or should I just take them out as delete them and put a regular threw pipe!?? Will it damage anythin and cause check engine light to come on I f I take them out!? Plus I don't want toose any back pressure and power from the engine!! What do u guys suggest I do best!??
Old 02-14-2010, 10:56 AM

2020 GLE450
Did you see the damaged cat yourself? I don't see how a damaged cat would cause only one cylinder to have issues. Each bank of cylinders has a cat and one would assume that if the cat was disintegrating and clogged, that the entire bank would share the same symptoms. Their diagnosis sounds like BS to me. Can anyone explain how a clogged cat would cause only one cylinder to misfire?
Old 02-14-2010, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
You should contact Kleeman. The K2 includes steel sport cats. You may be able to get warranty on the cats from them.

If you remove the cats you will likely need a re-tune from Kleeman to turn and keep the check engine light off and to remap for the change in exhaust flow.

Removing back pressure in the exhaust should not decrease power but actually increase power. It may need to be tuned for best results. What do you think they install high flow exhaust manifolds for in the first place? More power of course! It may move the torque curve up the rpm band a little and reduce low speed throttle response a bit but should not reduce power.

Kleeman should be able to advise the best option for your circumstance. Keep the cats if you can and we may all breath better. (I have vehicles with no cats so I cannot be too pious here. Plus driving a C63 in the first place ). Seems that steel spun cats are more prone to failure from heat. May be a fault in your Kleeman tune. (a little lean, too much heat and no cat overheat protection).

I am fairly familiar with Chevy tunes but not MB tunes because no one will let you see them. They hold them close to the vest for their own monetary advantage.

Just keep saying modding is fun, modding is fun, modding is fun......
Old 02-14-2010, 01:04 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by rantarC63
Did you see the damaged cat yourself? I don't see how a damaged cat would cause only one cylinder to have issues. Each bank of cylinders has a cat and one would assume that if the cat was disintegrating and clogged, that the entire bank would share the same symptoms. Their diagnosis sounds like BS to me. Can anyone explain how a clogged cat would cause only one cylinder to misfire?
Ok sorry it's a miss understanding it's actually cylinders 2 and 6 as they told me!! So yeah you're right in what you're saying!! Now my question is!? Can I take out the inside of the kleeman cat and just keep it empty!?? Or should I just try and custom make the internal filterised thing inside the cat!??
Old 02-14-2010, 01:07 PM

C63 AMG
Off course I wouldnt mind more sound and power of i take out the filters inside the cat but I'm also worried would it cause any power loss!??? If it does what do u guys suggest I do best!?

Last edited by white_beast; 02-14-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no more AMG
Originally Posted by riccardotumewu1
The problem with this I think the dealers could void the warranty. Because if there is a defect with your 8th cylinder they can say it that it was due to the modification that change the engine behavior that was not "approved" by MB that caused the damage or whatever.. Sorry to say that this is a very hard one to win.. Even though some people might say they have mods done and dealers did warranty work i think that that is to the dealers discretion and they had the choice to do it or not, because the way i look at if i was a dealer i would say Mods effected the engine and now engine is broken thus mods is the cause.
True. They can just say the change in timing that the ECU flash created caused damage to the cyclinder.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:24 PM

2020 GLE450
Originally Posted by Mort
Removing back pressure in the exhaust should not decrease power but actually increase power. It may need to be tuned for best results. What do you think they install high flow exhaust manifolds for in the first place? More power of course! It may move the torque curve up the rpm band a little and reduce low speed throttle response a bit but should not reduce power.
A decrease in back pressure may increase peak HP but it reduce torque. I don't know how it would specifically affect the C63 but is something to keep in mind. Absolutely, a proper tune that takes into account the lack of cats would be smart to do as well.