Another ticket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
Another ticket

I posted this in another thread before, but I thought I'd post it in a new thread for some more exposure..

I got a ticket the other day for going 95 in a 65

I've already used my "pass" (higher fine, no points) almost a year ago for a 74 in a 65, and before that for wrong way on a one way in 2007.. I am told I can't do this too often. If i go to court do you think they'll atleast reduce the points? Looks like 30mph over is 5 points Can they suspend my license? I mean aside from these 5 points, I have 0 points..

PS I think the cop eyeballed my speed? Is this allowed? My radar detector did not go off at all. Nevermind a warning, but when I passed him, not even a peep from my radar detector. He wasn't pacing me, he was on the side of the road..

Last edited by drawde; 03-23-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
You didn't ask to see the radar?
Old 03-23-2010, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
Your allowed to get it knocked down to unsafe driving 3 times. After that your screwed. Unsafe driving is no points, and a $4xx fine, if he used radar it has to be checked off on the bottom of the ticket along with the operaters signature, and i believe there certification # to use radar.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Originally Posted by chubbs032
You didn't ask to see the radar?
This is something that some friends have asked me as well. I thought about it but I figured I might as well not get him angry as I was sitting there at his mercy with tints and no front plate too, lol.. The ticket does have the 'speed measuring device' checked..

I gave him my PBA card too but he just gave it right back to me

Last edited by drawde; 03-23-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
Originally Posted by drawde
I was sitting there at his mercy with tints and no front plate too, lol..
Didn't you just roll all your windows down anyway?
Old 03-23-2010, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Originally Posted by obsidian05e55
Your allowed to get it knocked down to unsafe driving 3 times.
Are you sure it's 3? I thought it was 2?

Originally Posted by Even Money
Didn't you just roll all your windows down anyway?
Just the fronts.

Can they suspend my license for 30mph over? I'm thinking about getting the lawyer if that's the case..
Old 03-23-2010, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 C63 AMG
Hope they wont suspend your license...good luck!

Last edited by MNL ICE; 03-23-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
The cop told me court appearance isn't required and it's not checked on the ticket.. If I decide to keep the points and not go to court how would I know if they did suspend my license? If I do go to court it'll be much easier for them to tell me its suspended there.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
Im almost sure its 3. Double check with a lawyer if you know one. Ive used it more than twice, thats for sure.. Im all out.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:54 PM

no more AMG
If you had the chance of having your license suspended, you would have a mandatory traffic court date. I had a ticket a few years ago for going 97 and had to go to traffic court. The only way out of a ticket at this point is if the officer doesn't show up. If he's there, your best option at that point is to plead guilty with explanation, make up a good story, and hope the judge feels sorry for you.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Yeah, I'm not sure. I emailed a bunch of attorneys in Somerset, only 1 got back to me so far.. He said at 30mph over it's pretty likely that I'll get my license suspended. Not sure if that's a legit answer or if he just wants my money..

I checked the MVC website (NJ's DMV) it looks like they can suspend it for the following:
  • If you receive 12 or more points on your current driver record
  • Failure to appear in court or to pay fines
  • Failure to pay surcharges
  • Driving with a suspended license
  • Failure to provide proof of insurance
  • Physical or mental disqualification
  • Drug or alcohol use while driving
  • Reckless driving
  • Vehicle abandonment on a public highway
  • Fault in a fatal accident
I've seen a lot of times a ticket like mine would have come with a reckless driving ticket, but in my case it didn't. And also the fact that court appearance is not required.

Last edited by drawde; 03-23-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:11 PM

09 Eurocharged C63 AMG
Ed,

Where did this take place in NJ? Unfortunately a PBA card (basic one) isn't going to help you in a situation like this unless you personally know someone on the job in the town or a trooper in the same barracks. Where you paying attention how did this happen?
Old 03-23-2010, 09:35 PM

gl 450
Your license in NJ will get suspended at 12 points... so even if you do get the points you'll be fine. I have a lawyer i use for my traffic tickets.. he charges 250$ and can most definitely get you a no point ticket for probably less then the 400$ some you would pay for the unsafe driving (you could use that twice anyway). Hes located in Edison NJ. You should call the court and plea not guilty if you don't want to pay the ticket and receive the 4-5 points. But if you do then just pay it.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Originally Posted by MikeG_C63_AMG
Ed,

Where did this take place in NJ? Unfortunately a PBA card (basic one) isn't going to help you in a situation like this unless you personally know someone on the job in the town or a trooper in the same barracks. Where you paying attention how did this happen?
Mike, yeah I was paying attention, just so happened that I was extra tired that day after working a 12, and also that the roads were extra clear that morning unfortunately. Trying to get home sleep as soon as possible, not in an unsafe way or anything, though.. On one point on 78 there was a little incline that limited how far I could see, when the road leveled off there were pretty much 2 police chargers waiting to the right on the side of the road..

For the most part, I usually like to follow the flow of traffic unless passing or the occasional fits of speed, but yeah I was pretty much the only car on the road.. Usually on 78, at least the times I'm there, there aren't too many cops. I guess they're starting to hit it harder.. A couple days after getting my ticket, I had off, one of my friends from work didn't, he said he saw a whole line of cars getting pulled over on 78..

Last edited by drawde; 03-24-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Originally Posted by s1nghb0t
Your license in NJ will get suspended at 12 points... so even if you do get the points you'll be fine. I have a lawyer i use for my traffic tickets.. he charges 250$ and can most definitely get you a no point ticket for probably less then the 400$ some you would pay for the unsafe driving (you could use that twice anyway). Hes located in Edison NJ. You should call the court and plea not guilty if you don't want to pay the ticket and receive the 4-5 points. But if you do then just pay it.
Yeah, usually I've never needed a lawyer before but I've already used those no point passes twice within 5 years, one on a 74 in a 65 in early 2009 and one for a wrong way on a 1 way in 2007. That'll be 2 within 5 years, which I'm told is the limit.

Plus if there's a chance my license could be suspended, I'd rather play it safe with an attorney, as I NEED to drive to work. I work 35-40mi each way in the middle of nowhere, with no public transportation until like 2 towns over.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Thought I'd add an update to this just incase anyone runs into anything similar.. My court date was earlier today.. The judge was apparently pretty strict, suspended a few people's licenses before my case went up.. They were all 100mph+ tho but I wasn't far off at 95.. I did end up getting an attorney and luckily, I got away with reduction to 2 points and 40 hours community service but I was able to keep my license, which was the most important thing..

If the judge wants to cut you a break but is also pushing for suspension, try asking for community service.. You never know.

Last edited by drawde; 05-19-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:31 AM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
What's the story with wrong way on a one way street?? How'd u manage that one???
Old 05-19-2010, 03:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
I posted this in another thread before, but I thought I'd post it in a new thread for some more exposure..

I got a ticket the other day for going 95 in a 65

I've already used my "pass" (higher fine, no points) almost a year ago for a 74 in a 65, and before that for wrong way on a one way in 2007.. I am told I can't do this too often. If i go to court do you think they'll atleast reduce the points? Looks like 30mph over is 5 points Can they suspend my license? I mean aside from these 5 points, I have 0 points..

PS I think the cop eyeballed my speed? Is this allowed? My radar detector did not go off at all. Nevermind a warning, but when I passed him, not even a peep from my radar detector. He wasn't pacing me, he was on the side of the road..
I almost had my license suspended for 3 speeding tickets in a week, and it was my 4th point, I had a radar gun on me and everything but i fought it and won cause i convinced the dmv that i need to drive to work and all that other BS, so they basically let me off the hook. Plus i had a ticket just like this one and the cops didn't even turn it in to the court.

They might take your license away but i wouldnt count on it. If your last ticket 18 months ago then you can take traffic school and it wont even show up on your record. Hope everything turns out good for you man.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by NickZag
If you had the chance of having your license suspended, you would have a mandatory traffic court date. I had a ticket a few years ago for going 97 and had to go to traffic court. The only way out of a ticket at this point is if the officer doesn't show up. If he's there, your best option at that point is to plead guilty with explanation, make up a good story, and hope the judge feels sorry for you.
Not true. DMV suspends your license, not the court. NJ wants you not to appear so they can save the courts time and impose the maximum fine. After conviction the information is sent to DMV and they will tally up your points (All computerized) and determine if your license gets suspended. If it does they will send you a letter in the mail.

Just FYI:

You do not have the right to ask to see the Radar. Dont even bother asking it will just **** off the officer more.

Also, If you exceed the speed limit by 30 or more miles per hour that violation carries 5 points and Municipal Court Judges are inclined to suspend your license for a period of time for driving at that rate of speed.

A 4 point ticket will also increase you auto insurance by about $600 per year. NJ is already the highest paying for auto insurance in the country.

Find out how many points you currently have on your license. Find out how many points the ticket will be before pleading it down. Find out how many points it takes in NJ to suspend your license. Do the math and go to court with or without a lawyer based on those results.

Either way, plead it down. Good luck.

Last edited by propain; 05-19-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 SL55, 2010 C63
Good thing about international license: hard to track and no records.

It's not required to hand the police your regular license if you hand them your international license. Sometimes they just think it's too complicated to do the paper work and will just let you go. Other times they'll write you a ticket with whatever point and all you need to do is pay for it, and get another international license for $6.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:57 AM

2009 C63 and 2008 BMW M5
Thought I'd add an update to this just incase anyone runs into anything similar.. My court date was earlier today.. The judge was apparently pretty strict, suspended a few people's licenses before my case went up.. They were all 100mph+ tho but I wasn't far off at 95.. I did end up getting an attorney and luckily, I got away with reduction to 2 points and 40 hours community service but I was able to keep my license, which was the most important thing..

If the judge wants to cut you a break but is also pushing for suspension, try asking for community service.. You never know.
Next time get a PBA shield and PBA family members cards and you will be fine. It has saved me alot of times. matter of fact, more times then i can remember.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Originally Posted by LZH
What's the story with wrong way on a one way street?? How'd u manage that one???
This happened in the neighborhood near my school, which I drove through every day and was very familiar with the roads. For some reason that day I brain farted and forgot where I was, and there were no cars on that block (so I didn't see any cars facing towards me when I went through basically telling me "hey jerk you're going the wrong way!")

I heard a cop whistle and like a fool I stopped and waited for the walking cop to come up to the car () (Got a lot of grief for this one from friends, getting pulled over by a walking cop)..

At first he was just gonna give me a warning, he gave me back all my stuff, then right before I pulled away he came up to the car and asked for my stuff again cause he said his CO was coming and I guess he was a new cop or whatever.. Anyway, after talking to his CO he ended up giving me a ticket. If I knew at the time, I should've not pleaded this to unsafe driving because it's only a 1 point violation or something, what a waste.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by andy_meng1024
Good thing about international license: hard to track and no records.

It's not required to hand the police your regular license if you hand them your international license. Sometimes they just think it's too complicated to do the paper work and will just let you go. Other times they'll write you a ticket with whatever point and all you need to do is pay for it, and get another international license for $6.
That might work in WI. In NY not so much...
Old 05-19-2010, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
This happened in the neighborhood near my school, which I drove through every day and was very familiar with the roads. For some reason that day I brain farted and forgot where I was, and there were no cars on that block (so I didn't see any cars facing towards me when I went through basically telling me "hey jerk you're going the wrong way!")

I heard a cop whistle and like a fool I stopped and waited for the walking cop to come up to the car () (Got a lot of grief for this one from friends, getting pulled over by a walking cop)..

At first he was just gonna give me a warning, he gave me back all my stuff, then right before I pulled away he came up to the car and asked for my stuff again cause he said his CO was coming and I guess he was a new cop or whatever.. Anyway, after talking to his CO he ended up giving me a ticket. If I knew at the time, I should've not pleaded this to unsafe driving because it's only a 1 point violation or something, what a waste.

HAHAHA... he was probably wondering if he had the ability as a food cop to give you a moving violation ticket. He called it in, got the approval and gave you the ticket.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:21 PM

His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
Did you ever consider speeding wisely?

I'm not one to give you a hard time about speeding, Lord knows I've done it. But I've picked my.... err... "track" wisely.

But come on, a Radar detector is not infallible. And an LEO does not necessarily have to use a radar device to get you. In radar school, they teach you the radar unit is to be used to confirm your estimated speed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another ticket