Sponsored by:

car starting issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 12:33 PM
GMW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML63 AMG PP
Have any of you noticed that it refuses to start after the car is parked out in the hot sun?? If it always does this then it is a fault with the EIS (electronic ignition switch). I had this problem (parked in hot sun > 30 degrees Celcius) when my car was new.

I eventually figured out it only happened when the car was parked in direct sunlight. In the shade or first thing in the morning it never failed. I think something in the ignition switch warped from the change in temperature. However, the dealer did a warranty replacement with a new ignition switch and it has NEVER failed to start since then.

I hope this helps.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
'10 C63
i don't know about the sun thing... but i'd like to get this figured out when i take it to the dealer..

the key switch didn't work. this weekend it happened to me 4-5 times with the other key. and i don't have to turn it all the way left, just one notch left and then back to the right again to start it up.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
of course, the service report said they could not duplicate the problem. and said something about it could be something with the engine programming. awesome!
Old 05-22-2010, 02:44 PM

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
2019 E63s
it happens to me too
everytime I turm off the car to put gas or do something and leave the key on the ignition or take the key but dont close the door.... i
it could be a security thing... I dont know I just learned to live with it
Old 05-22-2010, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Originally Posted by longbow0404
it happens to me too
everytime I turm off the car to put gas or do something and leave the key on the ignition or take the key but dont close the door.... i
it could be a security thing... I dont know I just learned to live with it
that's not quite the situation i'm talking about... i don't leave the key in the ignition.. i'm talking about getting into the car after it's been armed and parked with your key in hand to start the car... you try and start it and it doesn't start, you move the key to the left and do it again and it works... basically it's random fresh starts...
Old 05-22-2010, 05:35 PM

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
2019 E63s
have you tried the other set of keys?
Old 05-23-2010, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Originally Posted by longbow0404
have you tried the other set of keys?
yep, already tried it... i mentioned it in the thread too
Old 05-24-2010, 07:03 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
EIS issue most likely

Originally Posted by bluejae
yep, already tried it... i mentioned it in the thread too
Your problem sounds very much like the EIS (electronic ignition switch - which is the part you insert the electronic key into to start the vehicle) is faulty just like what happened in my car and I mentioned earlier. Though mine seemed to go off completely in very hot weather.

As soon as they changed the EIS (on warranty of course) I've never ever had the problem again. I also changed keys at first and thought all was okay but it re-occured later on and that's when I saw the link to the hot weather. Regardless, the EIS is what can cause all these problems otherwise it will be a problem with the wiring harness somewhere.

Ask them to change the EIS and tell them another C63 owner had a very similar problem and that was the solution. After all they are having problems identifying the source. The EIS is responsible for giving the engine control unit the go ahead to start the car. Good luck.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Originally Posted by GMW
Your problem sounds very much like the EIS (electronic ignition switch - which is the part you insert the electronic key into to start the vehicle) is faulty just like what happened in my car and I mentioned earlier. Though mine seemed to go off completely in very hot weather.

As soon as they changed the EIS (on warranty of course) I've never ever had the problem again. I also changed keys at first and thought all was okay but it re-occured later on and that's when I saw the link to the hot weather. Regardless, the EIS is what can cause all these problems otherwise it will be a problem with the wiring harness somewhere.

Ask them to change the EIS and tell them another C63 owner had a very similar problem and that was the solution. After all they are having problems identifying the source. The EIS is responsible for giving the engine control unit the go ahead to start the car. Good luck.
thanks, i'll give that ago next time i take it in... so far it hasn't happened again.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:52 AM

2008 c300 sport
mine won't start and when i put key in it says, "Take key from ignition."

Any ideas?
Old 06-01-2010, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Originally Posted by calemcdonald33
mine won't start and when i put key in it says, "Take key from ignition."

Any ideas?
isn't that the message you get when your key is all the way left and the door is open? reminding you to take the key before you get out of the car
Old 06-01-2010, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
I have keyless go, and this sounds like a broken circuit somewhere (think car not being in park or neutral in older vehicles). To start keyless go cars, we have to have our foot on the brake, and if we don't, exactly what you described happens. Hopefully, per GMW, it will be cured by a simple replacement of the EIS. Good luck.