Sponsored by:

Bump under liner in rear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2010 | 06:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63, 2007 GL 450
Bump under liner in rear

Guys, I was doing a cleaning of the car myself today and noticed for the 1st time a hard buldge under the liner on the floor of the rear passenger seat. I have to admit I did not notice this before as I usually have the car detailed by someone, but today I did it myself(I know lazy). When I pulled away the AMG floor mat I noticed it. I was willing to pull away the liner to see what is was, so any help on what this would be would be great. It feels hard and made of metal. About 3-4" long. Thoughts as to what this might be?
Old 04-03-2010 | 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
Those sound like the tow hooks that come with the car, they are put under the passenger seat for if ever you need to use them.....they screw into the front bumper of your car where there is a little plastic latch/cap in the bumper. BTW, there are two of them, I found them becuase there was this little clanking sound once in a while over bumps. I could never find out what the hell it was...until some track time with somewhat aggressive driving, these two shiny pieces of metal flew out from under the passenger seat and the dealer told me they were the tow hooks.
Old 05-04-2010 | 07:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63, 2007 GL 450
A little gift from MB/AMG

Took the car in for some work and had they look under the floor liner to see what the issue was and what was causing this bump. In fact it was not the tow hooks but a factory fitting tool that somehow was left under the liner at the factory! The tool is plastic with a gear shift knob at top (complete with AMG logo) and the tool tappers down to a chisel-like ending made of firm yet scratch prrof white plastic. Apparently this is the factory tool that they use in putting rubber liners and seals into place on the car such as around the doors/windows etc. Not what I expected but a nice little gift from MB. Maybe I should read my invoice again and make sure I wasn't charged for this little secret option!
Old 05-04-2010 | 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
HaHa....neat find. Wonder what else may be hiding under the carpets? That would have been a tough one to guess...LOL
Old 05-04-2010 | 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I heard a better story from someone that worked at a GM plant. Not sure if it was an urban legend or not. There was a Vette owner that always heard a strange clicking noise whenever he made a turn in either direction. He took it in to the dealer several times and they could never figure out where the noise came from. When the owner escalated the issue with GM, they decided to remove the dash to investigate further. Upon inspection, they found a nut hanging inside in one of the vertical defrost tubes. Attached to the nut was a note that read, "You found me." Leave it the UAW worker for a great sense of humor.

Post a pic of the tool.