Sponsored by:

Poor quality seats!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
That really sucks man, i hope mb will fix that for you free of charge.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
'18 C63A Cabriolet
Originally Posted by harrower
At the moment my seats are fine and look great, however as i said at start of post, upon close inspection you can tell that there could be problems with the leather giving way at the seams. If this does happen I am sure that MB will cover it under warranty as long as there is no abuse. My real point here is why the cheapness or lack of quality in the product. Granted the C is entry level car within AMG range, but in the market you can alot of car out there for $60-70K and I for one do not like to see them cut corners on these sorts of things. If you look at competing cars in category like M3, ISF, new RS5, etc I wonder if the quality of seats is higher than C63. I also noticed the quality of interior parts when I swapped out door lock pins with CF AMG pins. My god the door lock pins are cheap! Pure cheap plastic which look like they come off a Kia or Tata. I was astonished at how cheap they were.Is MB just cutting corners here on these things to try and make a buck on a car that has got alot of the wholesale cost in the engine and other mechanical parts? Realize they need to make $ to remain strong, but at this price-point I would have expected better quality of product on things such as seats, pins etc. I am also changing alot of interior as some of it looks cheap to me, such as gear-shift knob and trim which I will do in CF.
If I planned on keeping this car long, long term I would consider having a top-line trim shop reupholster the front seats in some real supple, soft leather. The kind that scuffs when you scratch it and repairs itself just by rubbing it. These are fairly cheap, highly buffed and then painted seat covers we have here. I agree, too bad. Charge me another grand and give me something worthy of the AMG name.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
I don't know much about leather but my guess is this is a fairly low-grade of (split) leather that is painted. Ugh. I think most of us are in agreement that no matter how careful we are this leather is not destined for a long life.