Poor quality seats!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 07:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C63, 2007 GL 450
Poor quality seats!

As per other post I was doing a detailing of the car today and I noticed when cleaing the seats how poorly they are made. The car only have 7K on it and you can see where the stitching is already pulling and will eventually pull apart. Also on closer inspection the leather is wearing very poorly as well. I know this has been commented on before in other posts, but in my opinion on $60K+ car this is just not acceptable. MB should be ashamed of the quality of these things. Granted, they plunked a big *** and expensive motor in our cars, but to go so cheap on the leather in the seats is a joke. I remember the old MB leather was as good as it got. Beautiful, perfect fit and very long lasting. My neigbour had a old 280sl (I think) from the 70s...the seats today look as damn good as the day he bought it 35 yearsd ago!
MB should realize that AMG owners typically love cars and will use the damn things and hence put a quality leather seat in. I would also say to them that they should consider the profile of their AMG customers and think about it = willing to pay premuim, typically affluent, and usually very brand loyal.
Has anyone looked at options when these things finally let loose?
Old 04-03-2010, 08:53 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
it could happen,take it back to the dealer and ask them for a solution.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
They won't say it files under normal wear and tear? I have the same stretch marks.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe' '99' Audi A4 Avant Quattro 2.8 DD
I had the stitching in my seat come loose about 6 months after i bought the car. I brought in in to the dealer and they replaced the seat for me.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
I have the entire leather piece coming apart from the frame on both seats and am just waiting to go in there on some time off and RIP THEM A NEW AS*HOLE...TOTAL CRAP.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
I must have got a good one, because mine is as good as new after 8 months and 12500 miles.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
I never noticed any problems on mine, even after 24,000 km. They were like new. Seriously.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
Can you guys post a pic of where exactly?

Any options for seat covers as well? i got 16.5k in like 14 months, so it gets a lot of use
Old 04-03-2010, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
I never noticed any problems on mine, even after 24,000 km. They were like new. Seriously.

+1...I'm sure there may be statistical defects, like anything else manufactured, but I'm past 10,000 miles and all I notice are a few wrinkles on the side bolsters.

I think how you get in/out of the car and care for the leather has much to do with how they wear/last....
Old 04-03-2010, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here you go. Separation from plastic seat frame. Brand spankin new car, 3000 miles on it to date....
Attached Thumbnails Poor quality seats!-img_5836.jpg   Poor quality seats!-img_5838.jpg   Poor quality seats!-img_5842.jpg   Poor quality seats!-img_5839.jpg  
Old 04-03-2010, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
Here you go. Separation from plastic seat frame. Brand spankin new car, 3000 miles on it to date....
Wow... that is crazy. Take it to the dealer and get it covered under warranty.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by harrower
I remember the old MB leather was as good as it got. Beautiful, perfect fit and very long lasting. My neigbour had a old 280sl (I think) from the 70s...the seats today look as damn good as the day he bought it 35 yearsd ago!
Leather or MB Tex? The MB Tex on my '86 190e looks the same now as when my dad brought the car home in 1986.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Personally I think its more of a design flaw - although that can be argued on a bucket seat. It just seems the problem is caused by hitting it upon entry. I had the same problem in my e46 M3 with the side bolster.

When I enter the car I make an effort not to brush or push on the side bolster. My seats are back pretty far as I like it that way but i also set my steering wheel forward to give me the most space to get in. 7k miles and my seats are still like brand new.

Was that separation caused by constantly hitting it on the way in, therefore pushing it to separate?
Old 04-05-2010, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PatSC23
Personally I think its more of a design flaw - although that can be argued on a bucket seat. It just seems the problem is caused by hitting it upon entry. I had the same problem in my e46 M3 with the side bolster.

When I enter the car I make an effort not to brush or push on the side bolster. My seats are back pretty far as I like it that way but i also set my steering wheel forward to give me the most space to get in. 7k miles and my seats are still like brand new.

Was that separation caused by constantly hitting it on the way in, therefore pushing it to separate?
Not from enter and exiting. I barely drive my car and baby the hell out of it. I bought it September of 09 and only have 3K miles. I noticed it while I was applying leather conditioner to the leather in back and the front. I almost never have any passengers either. I think it was a manufacturing defect in attaching the leather or that the adhesive they use is poor quality. Just something I noticed a week after I bought it and didn't see it upon my purchase time. I am just hesitant to take it in because I don't want them trying to repair it in the car because they can damage other things inside...I just think that the seats are cheaply made...
Old 04-05-2010, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Not from enter and exiting. I barely drive my car and baby the hell out of it. I bought it September of 09 and only have 3K miles. I noticed it while I was applying leather conditioner to the leather in back and the front. I almost never have any passengers either. I think it was a manufacturing defect in attaching the leather or that the adhesive they use is poor quality. Just something I noticed a week after I bought it and didn't see it upon my purchase time. I am just hesitant to take it in because I don't want them trying to repair it in the car because they can damage other things inside...I just think that the seats are cheaply made...

that sucks - i have this annoying rattle in my passenger seat (not the bolts as someone else had) but Im not bringing it to dealer for just that. The last thing I need is a calll saying "oh someone backed into your car in the lot while waiting for service" ... and then getting it back with the "dealer cannot replicate BS".
Old 04-05-2010, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PatSC23
that sucks - i have this annoying rattle in my passenger seat (not the bolts as someone else had) but Im not bringing it to dealer for just that. The last thing I need is a calll saying "oh someone backed into your car in the lot while waiting for service" ... and then getting it back with the "dealer cannot replicate BS".
I hear you. Its almost like you need to think is it worth going in for them to fix something, then having them damage or beat-up something else while your there (boot marks all over the doors and dash, body nicks and scratches, joy rides, slamming the doors and gouging the leather elsewhere, etc...). I really wonder what in the world the rattle could be though...have you ever tried fanagling it yourself to see whats going on?
Old 04-05-2010, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
I hear you. Its almost like you need to think is it worth going in for them to fix something, then having them damage or beat-up something else while your there (boot marks all over the doors and dash, body nicks and scratches, joy rides, slamming the doors and gouging the leather elsewhere, etc...). I really wonder what in the world the rattle could be though...have you ever tried fanagling it yourself to see whats going on?
i really dont think its anything loose. It almost sounds like a vibration of the leather, if thats possible. I actually sat in the back seat yesterday and gave the head resst a "massage". Im going to treat the leather soon, hopefully conditioning it and softening it will get rid of it.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 VW GTI
it's a shame that you feel like you can't go to your dealer to get something fixed when you think they'll just muck somethine else up. I guess I'm lucky to have the dealer I do. When I was there last week for the service A, they pulled their best tech off another job to specifically work on my car. In fact, he's the only one that works on it when I go there.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Originally Posted by Even Money
it's a shame that you feel like you can't go to your dealer to get something fixed when you think they'll just muck somethine else up. I guess I'm lucky to have the dealer I do. When I was there last week for the service A, they pulled their best tech off another job to specifically work on my car. In fact, he's the only one that works on it when I go there.
ive only gone for service once so far...and it was a sh*tshow. they didnt mess anything up but the line for valet drop off was insane. If I wanted to do a ride with a Tech I can only imagine how long it would have taken me.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:10 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
13 Lamborghini SL, 20 Porsche 911 (sold), 09 C63(sold), Vipers (sold)
Just turned 10K miles and the seats look like new except for some slight wear on the drivers side bolster.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by harrower
As per other post I was doing a detailing of the car today and I noticed when cleaing the seats how poorly they are made. The car only have 7K on it and you can see where the stitching is already pulling and will eventually pull apart. Also on closer inspection the leather is wearing very poorly as well. I know this has been commented on before in other posts, but in my opinion on $60K+ car this is just not acceptable. MB should be ashamed of the quality of these things. Granted, they plunked a big *** and expensive motor in our cars, but to go so cheap on the leather in the seats is a joke. I remember the old MB leather was as good as it got. Beautiful, perfect fit and very long lasting. My neigbour had a old 280sl (I think) from the 70s...the seats today look as damn good as the day he bought it 35 yearsd ago!
MB should realize that AMG owners typically love cars and will use the damn things and hence put a quality leather seat in. I would also say to them that they should consider the profile of their AMG customers and think about it = willing to pay premuim, typically affluent, and usually very brand loyal.
Has anyone looked at options when these things finally let loose?
Seats are covered under warranty unless you tear them with your keys or a pen or something.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:19 PM

99C43 05C55 06slk55
OMG, it's a 2sec fix. come by the shop and i will fix it for you.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMGC43C55
OMG, it's a 2sec fix. come by the shop and i will fix it for you.
I would and I would take you for a steak dinner at Mortons if you could fix it, but currently I am in Chicago. Can you let me in on what you were thinking?
Old 04-07-2010, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63, 2007 GL 450
At the moment my seats are fine and look great, however as i said at start of post, upon close inspection you can tell that there could be problems with the leather giving way at the seams. If this does happen I am sure that MB will cover it under warranty as long as there is no abuse. My real point here is why the cheapness or lack of quality in the product. Granted the C is entry level car within AMG range, but in the market you can alot of car out there for $60-70K and I for one do not like to see them cut corners on these sorts of things. If you look at competing cars in category like M3, ISF, new RS5, etc I wonder if the quality of seats is higher than C63. I also noticed the quality of interior parts when I swapped out door lock pins with CF AMG pins. My god the door lock pins are cheap! Pure cheap plastic which look like they come off a Kia or Tata. I was astonished at how cheap they were.Is MB just cutting corners here on these things to try and make a buck on a car that has got alot of the wholesale cost in the engine and other mechanical parts? Realize they need to make $ to remain strong, but at this price-point I would have expected better quality of product on things such as seats, pins etc. I am also changing alot of interior as some of it looks cheap to me, such as gear-shift knob and trim which I will do in CF.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:11 AM

99C43 05C55 06slk55
I would and I would take you for a steak dinner at Mortons if you could fix it, but currently I am in Chicago. Can you let me in on what you were thinking?
i will see if i can take some pic. and a part number for the tool. i have had many seats apart, and all i have to say is that the the CLK black and the C63 seats are a big pain in the rear to take apart and fix. but it's still easy fix

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Poor quality seats!