Sponsored by:

WTF, my throttle died on the highway!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E350, 2002 GT2, 2004 SC M3, 2010 C63
Originally Posted by RStevens63
My car is stock and I do not have this problem, nor do I want it, which is why I'm asking questions to those that have it. It's not something I want to put myself or my family through, which I'd hope you can understand.

I'm not sure what I would say if someone told me that there was a break in torque limiter on my car when I knew there wasn't. I have called MKB and Renntech about this problem and neither had heard of it, both also agreed there is no such thing as a break in or mileage based torque liimter in the 63s.

Take it fwiw.
My advice then is to keep your car stock and join a community where their are others like you.

Me, I purchased my C63 for the engine, which is seriously limited in its stock form (the TBs barely even open halfway).

To bring your family into the discussion is ubsurd, I bought my wife an E350.

To be honest, having this car shut down on the highway barely even made me bat an eye, as my GT2 and my M3 have been in much much more precarious situations.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:05 PM

2004 E55 AMG
You guys don't happen to thing It's fuel cut, do you? Maybe the tune didn't upload correctly.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:10 PM

E63
I'm sorry I must've given you the wrong opinion. I mod all my cars, but only after figuring out what I want to do with them. Still not sure what I want to do with mine or if trading in for a C is what I should really do. I also don't see anything wrong with MKB and Renntech, I think everyone knows the quality of product there, I think their opinions are valid and should be heard as well.

I know about the throttle limiting mercedes does to the cars and how much potential is available from a tune especially with the Cs.

I think you also misunderstood my comment about family, I'm talking about having them in the car with me, should a potential situation like what you went through come up--I do happen to find that absurd. Has nothing to do with what my or your wife drives.

It's nice to know you have ***** of steel, but a daily driver that cuts out on the highway even once is too much for me. If it was a completely built car like yours that you mentioned probably are I could understand, but for having just a tune that's another story.

I hope it doesn't come back and best of luck in the future, and sorry if I came off wrong.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:16 PM

No prob, my friend, I just think we are making too much of this here....I am correct in that it all happened to cars with very low miles on them, right?

It was either the break in period or something to do with the peddle sensor I believe.

Here is why I think it was some type of built in torque or hp/rev limiter built into the cars: The tune significantly increased power, w/ out the tune it is unlikely, even if you went over 4.5K or a little wot to exceed a certain performance threshold. The tune makes it much easier to exceed that threshold.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:17 PM

Also, the E 63 is less de-tuned than the C....if you have other cars that you are modding I might just keep the E stock.....it is a hell of a family hauler in stock form, IMO
Old 08-31-2010, 11:38 PM

E63
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
No prob, my friend, I just think we are making too much of this here....I am correct in that it all happened to cars with very low miles on them, right?

It was either the break in period or something to do with the peddle sensor I believe.

Here is why I think it was some type of built in torque or hp/rev limiter built into the cars: The tune significantly increased power, w/ out the tune it is unlikely, even if you went over 4.5K or a little wot to exceed a certain performance threshold. The tune makes it much easier to exceed that threshold.
I agree it often happens on the internet!

yes I believe you're correct the cars had lower miles on them or were recently tuned and effectively then the ECUs had to relearn so it would be the same.

What you're saying makes sense to me, it's very much what I said to MKB and RENNtech when discussing it with them, but both denied knowing anything about what we call a break in limiter. That's what I wanted to share, no disrespect to anyone.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:39 PM

E63
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Also, the E 63 is less de-tuned than the C....if you have other cars that you are modding I might just keep the E stock.....it is a hell of a family hauler in stock form, IMO
Thanks, but there's no question the Cs have more potential due to their lower weight alone. Decisions decisions. Enjoy!
Old 09-01-2010, 07:03 PM

c 63 amg
i have a 2009 c63 amg i had the k1 ecu upgrade on it when i floor the car from the ground or i down shift to a lower gear i loos all the throttle response the car goes to like an emergence mode and dies this has happened to me several times i have to it to mercedes benz they told me it was the accelator pedal they changed it and the problem wasnt solved i flushed the ecu kleeman program and installed the orginall and this still repeated i am taking it back to the dealer but they are not knowing the problem can u guys please advice me
Old 11-22-2010, 12:17 PM

2011 C63 P31
I also posted this in the other thread ("What the hell is this"):
---

This happened to me today! Same message ("ESP Currently Unavailable") and the throttle just died! I was accelerating after turning at an intersection. Even though I was driving on a high speed backroad (55mph), there was not a car in sight, so it wasn't a huge scare like the op. I turned off the engine and started up again and everything was ok.

I got a Eurocharged ECU tune a month ago and have put around 500 miles on the car since then. This is the first time this has happened even though I have pused the car hard in the past.

Not sure what I should do. I will try to reproduce this one a clear day on one of the empty backroads.

---

I tried pushing the car hard today and last night but couldn't get it to happen again. After reading this thread, it seems like some people are getting this even after replacing the accelerator pedal, so I'm not sure if that is the real fix. Don't know what to do . Maybe I should practice *neutral-shutdown-wait a sec-start engine-shift into d* like someone else mentioned in these threads just it case it happens on the highway!

Dr. Jitsu (and anyone else affected by this): Any updates on this? Has it happened again?

Last edited by vmx128; 11-22-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:54 AM

2010 C63
I know this is a few months old, as are the other threads detailing the same issues but thought I'd throw in that it happened to me last night.

- 2010 model
- MHP v3 tune from late last year
- ~9000 miles

Was in C mode (in the middle of a 2200 mile roadtrip and was tired), steering wheel pointed straight ahead. Went WOT to pass a car at 60, got the ESC is unavailable warning and no throttle by 70...once again had to shut off to get going again. It was 30F outside and at about 5k feet altitude and unfortunately I was on 91 oct fuel (all they sell out here).
Old 02-25-2011, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Ubermensch
I know this is a few months old, as are the other threads detailing the same issues but thought I'd throw in that it happened to me last night.

- 2010 model
- MHP v3 tune from late last year
- ~9000 miles

Was in C mode (in the middle of a 2200 mile roadtrip and was tired), steering wheel pointed straight ahead. Went WOT to pass a car at 60, got the ESC is unavailable warning and no throttle by 70...once again had to shut off to get going again. It was 30F outside and at about 5k feet altitude and unfortunately I was on 91 oct fuel (all they sell out here).
Was ESP on?

Next time drive in ESP sport.

If you log the car you will propably see an error like maximum torque calculation exceeded. This happens with ESP on.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:16 PM

2011 C63 P31
This happened to me again a couple of weeks ago (second occurance, almost three months after the first). Luckily, there were no cars around me. I shudder to think what would have happened if I was on a highway with traffic behind me.

ESP on, S mode.
Eurocharged tune from October 2010.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:23 PM

2008 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by vmx128
This happened to me again a couple of weeks ago (second occurance, almost three months after the first). Luckily, there were no cars around me. I shudder to think what would have happened if I was on a highway with traffic behind me.

ESP on, S mode.
Eurocharged tune from October 2010.
Sorry forgot to add S mode. This happens sometimes in S mode and not in M mode.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:24 PM

2008 C63 AMG
Does anyone who experienced this log there car? Or check error codes?
Old 02-25-2011, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 EQE 43 AMG SUV
Seems like a simple solution for this "problem" is not to tune the engine...shouldn't be that hard.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
This happened to me when I was pulling in my driveway. Took it to the dealership and before I could even say anything they replaced the purge valve which was found to be sticking open and creating a lean state.

Lets hope it doesn't happen again.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by Jycke
Seems like a simple solution for this "problem" is not to tune the engine...shouldn't be that hard.
Regarding tunes, if your car is tuned how can it drive so well in so many different conditions and then randomly on one or two occassions over the spread of months have this problem and be attributed to a tune?

When the engines misfire and supposedly it does happen for various reasons, the ECU will kill engine power.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:04 PM

2011 C63AMG P31
It happen to me got mhp v3 tune and dealer changed gas paddle assembly two times and it is still there so they will change the control unit as they say
Old 09-27-2011, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
'18 C63A Cabriolet
Today, for the second time in 3 months, on a fairly tight right turn freeway offramp while coasting, upon accel my throttle was inoperative and the esp warning light started flashing. After about 3-4 seconds, all symptoms resolved themselves. Anyone else? Totally stock.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
SOUNDS LIKE, an over active ESP.

I always turn ESP off when I drive. Never have I used the ESP function. Its annoying as hell.

The ESP can limit the engines torque among other things.

My car is tuned as well. I have 47,000km and drive the **** out of it. Always in sport or manual. Never been in C mode.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
'18 C63A Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Merc63
SOUNDS LIKE, an over active ESP.

I always turn ESP off when I drive. Never have I used the ESP function. Its annoying as hell.

The ESP can limit the engines torque among other things.

My car is tuned as well. I have 47,000km and drive the **** out of it. Always in sport or manual. Never been in C mode.
Sounds more like a broken car to me.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
Originally Posted by HBC350
Today, for the second time in 3 months, on a fairly tight right turn freeway offramp while coasting, upon accel my throttle was inoperative and the esp warning light started flashing. After about 3-4 seconds, all symptoms resolved themselves. Anyone else? Totally stock.
This sounds like a faulty wheel sensor telling ESP that one wheel is not spinning in sync with the others. I'd have MB pull codes on this one - they'll probably figure it out.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:37 PM

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts
C63 Black Series, Magno Alanite Grey
Lightbulb

Same thing happened to my 2010 once in the snow, a reboot fixed it, I think if it detects wheel slippage, and esp is trying to kick in here and there, then it puts the car in this odd limp mode. It happend a second time under slippery or over active esp driving - Driving for a few blocks under normal conditions resolved the issue - this happened before my jerrytune, so it is not the tune, I am almost guessing that this is an open diff / esp / limp mode combined issue, and by design. The tunes additional power may kick on the esp a lot more, hence causing the dilemma.

As long as a reboot fixes it, its all good - imo.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
One thing you guys all got in common is driving with ESP on..

Easy fix, turn it off.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:40 AM

C63s now in the garage. Sold-GLA45 AMG Edition 1, Sold-2010 Mercedes C63
Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum and have a question re this throttle cutting out. Was at a track day today driving in M with traction control set to sport. Was about 20 minutes into my session when I entered a sharp medium speed left hander, throttle cut back to next to nothing (like running out of gas, not traction control cut out) then on a sharp right trying to accelerate out of the corner and the throttle cut out again. No flashing engine lights, my car is bone stock. Should I go see my dealer or?? PLease help. thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WTF, my throttle died on the highway!