C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another set of MHP Longtubes on the road!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63 amg
Another set of MHP Longtubes on the road!

Here is my feedback regarding my recent purchase of MHP long tubes/headers:

I purchased the long tubes/headers without the secondary cats a few months ago. The tubes/headers took about 6-8 weeks to receive, but they were well worth the wait. The tubes/headers were of the highest quality and the workmanship is impeccable.

The install was quite difficult for me-- not of bad design, but because this was my first major automotive project aside from changing oil and air filters. Given an experienced mechanic, the install would be much easier and take a lot less time than it took me.

The only tools needed to do the install were standard mechanics tools-- ratchets, extensions, breaker bars, etc. Don't forget the lift.

The factory headers were difficult for me to remove.. I'm 6'4" tall and can palm a basketball, but I could barely get my hands in those tight spaces. I did have the help of a couple friends, but I could see an experienced mechanic doing the job solo in 6-8 hours.

Once the factory headers were off, the MHP headers went on in about 20 minutes a side. I spent a good 90 minutes tightening the header nuts to ensure they were on correctly. Once the headers were on good and snug, the rest of the mid pipes and tubes went on pretty quick. I ended up putting a little sealant around the nipples/resonator connections to be on the safe side to avoid any leaks.

I had to remove the air boxes from the engine compartment, the plastic from the bottom, and the steering column. None of which were difficult or remove/install. Not much major disassembly of the vehicle (aside from the factory headers).

Afterwards, I started the engine from a cold start, and what a roar!! The exhaust sounds amazing... Just a tad bit louder than the factory exhaust until you hit about 3000rpm, then the car starts to roar.

Overall, no issues with the tubes. I would highly recommend MHP tubes/headers to anyone considering them. Every time I called Jim he was available to take my calls and answer my install questions on the fly--great customer service.

Cheers,
Paul

PS no CEL
Pics of the underneath side to come!

Last edited by bustopoo; 06-02-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Audi RS7
CONGRATS!! Welcome to the family!!
Let the mods begin!!
Old 06-02-2010, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
Sounds like a smooth experience, wish I went with those. Very impressive doing the install yourself the header bolts are by far the hardest part just because of space. BTW, I'm jealous, post some videos or dyno.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63
how are you guys daily driving with the noise, any drone? Maybe I'm getting a bit old since I am starting to enjoy a quieter ride but power is power, so tempting.

P.S. the rumble of the boxer motor on my sti is also getting to me, and the tranny whine and the creaks etc., but once the external gate opens, nothing else matters.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Other than Mthis, you are the second person to publish the DIY install. Did you have to remove the steering column or disconnect it? Pretty amazing that you did this yourself since the other car work you have done in the past is just changing the oil.

Congrats on the DIY.

Last edited by Sincity; 06-02-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
Congrats on getting your set install on you own. I know what it takes and I'm sure when you finished them you had the biggest smile on you face.
Now get some hard miles in on her and take her to the track and make your self more happy then you alredy are.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:06 AM

C63 AMG
Congrats, sir!!! You will love it more and more with each cold-start. Haha. The first cold-start is always an experience to remember.

Originally Posted by blindfold
how are you guys daily driving with the noise, any drone? Maybe I'm getting a bit old since I am starting to enjoy a quieter ride but power is power, so tempting.

P.S. the rumble of the boxer motor on my sti is also getting to me, and the tranny whine and the creaks etc., but once the external gate opens, nothing else matters.
To me, the daily driving is perfect. Not very noticeable if you drive normally, but once you step on it, even a little, you're sure to hear the engine waking up. I'm not even gonna bother describing the sound at WOT because it's just plain DEAFENING!

Just to compare, I dropped of my car at a local mechanic for the Quaife LSD install, pulling up very normally to the shop. After he was done and I was picking up my car, he mentioned that he wasn't expecting my car to sound the way it did when he test drove it post-install because it sounded so quiet when I was pulling up to him earlier.

As for the rumble of the STi boxer engine, that will forever be one of the greatest sounds I'll ever hear out of a car.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
how long did it take to install the quaife?
Old 06-03-2010, 06:06 AM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jikjak
how long did it take to install the quaife?
Around 4.5 hours, IIRC.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Congratulations!! DIY is very impressive, you are a braver soul than I am.

The MHP tune/header modification is a proven success. I laugh when people ***** about the price paid for an additional 100whp. How many 575 bhp cars with a decent level of refinement are available for $70,000?
Old 06-03-2010, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Congrats on the DYI. You are a brave soul.
Regarding Keith's comment, it is just supply and demand. If there are enough people like you who feel they are OK with paying that much, then the vendors will sell it at that price and make a boat load of money. More power to them.
A set of headers for a ZR1, Z06, GTR (all very limited productions) will cost you half of the price of the MHP ones.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:59 PM

c63 amg
Thanks for the complements!

Don't get me wrong, it took me several hours over the course of a week to complete the install... However, I was not able to work on the car every day; and most days when I did, the auto skills shop closed at 7pm so I only got a few hours each day to work on it. Overall, I spent about 20-25 hours doing the job.

Anyone with some mechanical sense, a few buddies, and willing to take it slow and learn from it can do the job. At one time I had a total of three people helping... the header bolts are the most difficult part but they can be done with patience.

From a daily drivers' perspective, the increase in sound is barely noticeable at low rpms (0-3000). However, if you are above 3k, you will hear the roar.

If I drive it in C mode and accelerate normally at stop lights and such, the sound is hardly noticeable. If you are concerned about the loudness, I wouldn't worry about that until you step on the gas.