C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evosport | Titanium Brake Pad Shims (Ti-Shims)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 06:44 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evosport | Titanium Brake Pad Shims (Ti-Shims)

Titanium brake shims work as heat shields to maintain braking power

Click HERE to order or for more information.

When brakes are under stress and working hard, they get extremely hot. The longer you are on the brakes (ie, entering a corner from a long straight), the more stress and heat that is generated. This heat has tremendous effects on the effectiveness of the brakes as well as on the brake components themselves. Rubber, for example, can quickly melt in that situation, or in any heavy braking scenario. The heat created from the friction of the hard-working brakes can actually boil the hydraulic brake fluid, which even further reduces stopping power. Heat is transferred from the rotors and pads directly into the brake fluid by means of the caliper pistons. As the fluid boils, it releases air into the brake lines which leads to brake fade and forces the brake pedal to go to the floor instead of maintaing hydraulic pressure to move the caliper pistons. This where titanium brake shims come in.

Unlike most production cars, many race cars have expensive brakes that have titanium caliper pistons. Titanium is an element that has very low thermal conductivity. This means it is very effective as a heat insulator rather than a dissipator. In other words, you do not want the caliper pistons to transfer heat (in this case to the brake fluid), you want them to work as a heat shield to minimize the heat transfer and keep the brake fluid as cool as possible.

Since most of us drive production cars, our brake caliper pistons contain aluminum and steel. Both of which have much higher thermal conductivity than titanium (8 times for steel and almost 20 times more for aluminum when compared to titanium) and allow a greater amount of heat to transfer to the brake fluid.

Titanium brake shims work like heat shields to prevent the heat of the braking effort from affecting the other brake parts. The thin titanium shim is placed between the back of the brake pad and the pistons to prevent heat transfer to the brake fluid.

For spirited drivers, cars that see the track or in conditions where braking is crucial, titanium shims are a very cost effective option to mantain brake effectiveness and performance.

In addition, maintaining cooler temperatures for brake parts ensures a longer life and less need for brake fluid changes. Rebuilding brake calipers can be very expensive.

Titanium shims are water jet cut for exact specifications. Includes brake lube.

Available For: C63 AMG, CLK63 AMG (incl. Black Series), E63 AMG (W211, W212), CLS63 AMG, SL63 AMG, SLS AMG

Old 06-10-2010, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Are they reusable or disposable with each pad change?
Old 06-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 GLK 350, 2013 GT-R, & 2013 RAM 1500
Very cool!

These are going on once my OEM pads needs replacing.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:55 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Sincity
Are they reusable or disposable with each pad change?
Reusable!
Old 06-10-2010, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Simon @ evosport
Reusable!
Do you use them in conjunction with the plates that come with the pads or do you remove the existing plates on the pads?
Old 06-10-2010, 07:09 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Sincity
Do you use them in conjunction with the plates that come with the pads or do you remove the existing plates on the pads?
Nothing gets removed. The stock backing plates stay in place.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
Do you have them for the C55 front and the CLK 55 030 rear? Let me know by email or pm. I need a set.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63
Wow they are more expensive than some Ferrari F439 titanium shims, regardless, will be interested to offer a members introductory or group buy price, I would be very interested to pick up a set.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:40 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Tump43
Do you have them for the C55 front and the CLK 55 030 rear? Let me know by email or pm. I need a set.
Not at this time.

Originally Posted by blindfold
Wow they are more expensive than some Ferrari F439 titanium shims, regardless, will be interested to offer a members introductory or group buy price, I would be very interested to pick up a set.
I can offer $199/set for MBWorld members for orders placed this week.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:41 PM

CLS55 & CL CK60
do u have them for the CLS55?
Old 07-08-2010, 11:19 AM
PREMIER SPONSOR

Originally Posted by beauphus
do u have them for the CLS55?

They are being developed as we speak. You are welcome to pre-order a set.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Titanium brake shims work as heat shields to maintain braking power

Titanium brake shims work like heat shields to prevent the heat of the braking effort from affecting the other brake parts. The thin titanium shim is placed between the back of the brake pad and the pistons to prevent heat transfer to the brake fluid.
Although I agree completely about trying to reduce ones brake fluid temperature, aka having faded MANY brakes in my life on the track.

I have one question about there use.

By blocking the heat from the pad to the piston, won't this cause an EXTREME rise in pad temperature

Since the heat will no longer be passed on to the piston, brake fluid and caliper to cool it, all the energy developed under braking will now have to be dissipated by the pad itself in the way of heat.

Could this not cause an issue with pad material, or longevity.

Sorry, I am always looking for the "Holy Grail" of braking and hence I have spent some serious money on them in an effort to achieve better braking and longevity. So I tend to ask numerous questions before putting my money down.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:04 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Although I agree completely about trying to reduce ones brake fluid temperature, aka having faded MANY brakes in my life on the track.

I have one question about there use.

By blocking the heat from the pad to the piston, won't this cause an EXTREME rise in pad temperature

Since the heat will no longer be passed on to the piston, brake fluid and caliper to cool it, all the energy developed under braking will now have to be dissipated by the pad itself in the way of heat.

Could this not cause an issue with pad material, or longevity.

Sorry, I am always looking for the "Holy Grail" of braking and hence I have spent some serious money on them in an effort to achieve better braking and longevity. So I tend to ask numerous questions before putting my money down.

Thanks in advance.

See my response: https://mbworld.org/forums/4114996-post3.html
Old 07-08-2010, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Thanks for the response

And I will agree that frying a pad, is MUCH better than boiling the fluid. IMHO.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:08 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Thanks for the response

And I will agree that frying a pad, is MUCH better than boiling the fluid. IMHO.
Yes, trust me, it is
Old 07-08-2010, 10:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
I will put these shims to the test with new evosport rotors and pads on the track next week, review coming soon!