Sponsored by:

For those that track your C63, let's see your setup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63
Originally Posted by hhughes1
hey, were you also the one that went to TopSpeeds's Robeling road track day?
Old 06-25-2010, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
Would love to track my car one of these days, but I feel like my first time I wouldn't want anyone around. What days typically aren't busy at the track?
Old 06-25-2010, 07:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Originally Posted by blindfold
hey, were you also the one that went to TopSpeeds's Robeling road track day?
It wasn't me, what type of event was it?
Old 06-25-2010, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Originally Posted by drawde
Would love to track my car one of these days, but I feel like my first time I wouldn't want anyone around. What days typically aren't busy at the track?

http://clubregistration.net/

search for DE events.......
Private track rental would be huge $$ and the DE events have a green group with classroom and instructors.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:34 AM

2010 C63
So how dove manage the tire pressure with nitro?

Can I put in oxygen when I have nitro in the tire? Any issues with mixing?
Old 06-25-2010, 10:38 AM

no more AMG
Originally Posted by FBTO
So how dove manage the tire pressure with nitro?

Can I put in oxygen when I have nitro in the tire? Any issues with mixing?
Usually if you use nitrogen you don't have to mess with your tire pressure at all. The reason people use it is that it doesn't expand or contract with change in hot and cold temps. There aren't any issues if you mix, but after you mix it you'll have to check and change the temps, just like having regular air in your tires.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:49 PM

C63
Originally Posted by ATL_MB
I am going this weekend - the only change I am making (already have V1 and after-market LSD) is to tape over my fog lights. I just replaced the right one and it was a complete PITA due to the oil cooler. I do not want to do that again.
Originally Posted by wuyichao
Is that simply blue painter's tape that you use? Or something specfic?
Old 06-28-2010, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
Where are you guys picking up steel brake lines?
Old 06-29-2010, 09:43 AM

2010 C63
The picture is not my car, but yes, you can use blue painter's tape. DON'T use anything really sticky (like duct tape). I ordered a clear plastic film to permanently cover my fog lights because I wanted something to protect them all the time (they are expensive and a PITA to replace). Unfortunately, it did not arrive prior to my track dates, so I have not installed it yet.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:49 AM

C63
Originally Posted by Questions
Is that simply blue painter's tape that you use? Or something specfic?
blue paint tape
Old 06-29-2010, 06:30 PM

C63
I just came back from Monticello Motor Club.

It was a great day with lots of nice cars.

I have a few questions to those of you who track your car regularly. Instead of creating a new thread, i figured i would just post it here.

What is the cold tire pressure before your track session? I lowered mine from 41psi to 34 psi all around. I noticed they were increased to 45psi after just one track session which was about 25min. I didn't expect that much of an increase.

Also, how's your engine temp during a hot day track session. It was about 80 degree air temp, and my engine temp reached 262 degrees. It kinda freaked me out and I stopped pushing my car very hard. Any of you experienced the same issue? if so, did you ignore the issue or you let it to cool off.

thanks for any inputs!
Old 06-30-2010, 08:59 AM

2010 C63
Your tire pressures seem normal to me - they do increase significantly with hard driving. You can bleed them down during the day if it helps.

You engine temps are consistent with mine, assuming you are talking about engine oil temps. My car's oil temps hit around 265-270 F (90+ ambient air temp), which I was fine with. That doesn't seem too hot - besides, my theory is that the car is smart enough to tell me if it wants to take a break.

FWIW, I tracked an E63 at Road Atlanta, and the oil temps went to 285 F, at which point the engine cut power and the transmission went into limp mode. I don't think that the temps and limp mode are related, b/c the car never displayed any oil or engine temp warnings, and limp mode came on during (relatively) hard cornering only. But I will throw that out there if anyone wants to formulate an hypothesis.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:29 AM

c63, prius
just went to the track yesterday.....i have very little coolant coming out from the reservoir.....my oil temp went up to 130C degree, didn't check the coolant temp.... and it was 32c degree (outside temp) and after i drove about 4 laps (about 4km/ lap) my tire pressure went up from 40psi to 47psi.....so i lower the tire pressure to 35psi for the front and 37psi for the rear....turn out it is slightly better (factory tires)...and i will definely need better tires for sure....Other thing is i will recommend is get s/s brake line and change the brake fluid..(oem fluid is just sucks)......this track i went is a very tight track(shannonville full track)....after my 10th lap(6 laps in a row) ...my brake fluid start to over heats (kinda disappointed), after 4 more laps, i lost the brake pressure at all(lucky last two turns before the pit)....but the thing is i am not a hard braker and brake earily too. Anyone have this weak brake and coolant problem on track?

Last edited by dacatz; 07-12-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:43 AM

SLK280(Gone), C63, CLK550
Originally Posted by dacatz
Other thing is i will recommend is get s/s brake line and change the brake fluid..(oem fluid is just sucks)......this track i went is a very tight track(shannonville full track)....after my 10th lap(6 laps in a row) ...my brake fluid start to over heats (kinda disappointed), after 4 more laps, i lost the brake pressure at all(lucky last two turns before the pit)....but the thing is i am not a hard braker and brake earily too. Anyone have this weak brake and coolant problem on track?
I don't find shannonville to be very tight at all. How did you know the brake fluid overheated? Any lights come on or did it boil? I find my brakes start to fade a little after 5 laps or so. But I would recommend 1-2 cool down laps before you pit or you will end up with golden calipers like me.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by dumpsta
I don't find shannonville to be very tight at all. How did you know the brake fluid overheated? Any lights come on or did it boil? I find my brakes start to fade a little after 5 laps or so. But I would recommend 1-2 cool down laps before you pit or you will end up with golden calipers like me.
Then you have NEVER been on a real course my friend. Shannoville was built and used for the Bridgestone driving school for Formula Fords. Which I was a part of from 96-99.

Often we would take our street cars out on it, and YES it is EXTREMELY tight. Often only two car widths wide in MANY areas. I had a purpose built stang back then and you could get the brakes spongy in no time at all.

Keep in mind that SS brake lines will NOT help brake fade. If the rotors get too hot, aka pads too, they will still fade do to fliud temps. The purpose of SS lines is prevent ballooning of the brake lines under EXTREME pressure and heat. For a heavy street car like a C63, you will NOT see any track improvement from them. Some claim "Better brake feel", which is the same feeling as the but dyno with K/N's or charcoal removal.

And Yes by ALL means do AT LEAST 1 cool down lap. 2 preferred. This will not only help prevent warped rotors, but it also allow some much needed cooling for the engine, tranny and diff.

Is there still a rut, worn groove, at the end of the back straight away?

Nice area by the way
Old 07-13-2010, 01:11 AM

c63, prius
Originally Posted by dumpsta
Compare to mosport, this track is tight....also i think anything over 350hp is over power in that track...i know the car is heavy....and i did a cooling lap after i noticed the brake fade....but guess i think i need two laps

For the brake fluid boil, basically when i press the brake pedal, it drop halfway....then abs turn on and the car still going forward.....

so far my front rotors no deep burning grooves and burn spots....i think i did alrite!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Agree that Shannonville would be considered a relatively tight track, although how "tight" it feels depends so much on your pace and how much you are pushing the car.

For those of you who have tracked your C63 on the Shannonville Full SMP track, what laptimes are you running?

dumpsta, are you faster than B4TM4N?
Old 07-22-2015, 11:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 C63 Amg
Originally Posted by wuyichao
I just came back from Monticello Motor Club.

It was a great day with lots of nice cars.

I have a few questions to those of you who track your car regularly. Instead of creating a new thread, i figured i would just post it here.

What is the cold tire pressure before your track session? I lowered mine from 41psi to 34 psi all around. I noticed they were increased to 45psi after just one track session which was about 25min. I didn't expect that much of an increase.

Also, how's your engine temp during a hot day track session. It was about 80 degree air temp, and my engine temp reached 262 degrees. It kinda freaked me out and I stopped pushing my car very hard. Any of you experienced the same issue? if so, did you ignore the issue or you let it to cool off.

thanks for any inputs!
260 degrees oil is not bad for a track day. I wouldn't worry because the motor has built in safety before it melts. However I have a new 2014 and I would go Into limp mode just a after 6 minutes of track because oil temp hit to 287 and higher. So I had the code 440 cooking package put in from merdeced amg in Nashville and greatly improved it . Track oil temp stays at 260 and non issues . And it was 90 outside
Old 07-22-2015, 11:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 C63 Amg
Originally Posted by ATL_MB
Your tire pressures seem normal to me - they do increase significantly with hard driving. You can bleed them down during the day if it helps.

You engine temps are consistent with mine, assuming you are talking about engine oil temps. My car's oil temps hit around 265-270 F (90+ ambient air temp), which I was fine with. That doesn't seem too hot - besides, my theory is that the car is smart enough to tell me if it wants to take a break.

FWIW, I tracked an E63 at Road Atlanta, and the oil temps went to 285 F, at which point the engine cut power and the transmission went into limp mode. I don't think that the temps and limp mode are related, b/c the car never displayed any oil or engine temp warnings, and limp mode came on during (relatively) hard cornering only. But I will throw that out there if anyone wants to formulate an hypothesis.
Yes they are related . Limp mode is protection for oil over temp. At which its around 278 or 287 . Mine did that and I got it fixed with the cooking package from amg that they put in there black series. It's the code 440 cooling package . And it works . I push my card hard at track days and now don't go over 260. Even on a 90 degree day
Old 07-22-2015, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Here's a novel idea that I'd not seen before - has anybody tried this?

Originally Posted by mk2001c
My setup was completely stock with the exception of the front wheel/tire setup. I bought a used set of AMG wheels from a fellow forum member and ran the additional rears up front. This required a 10mm spacer (went with H&R hubcentric) to clear the calipers and strut. The square setup is very nice; neutral through the sweepers, but you can get the back end around in the tight spots with trail braking.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E55K, Black on Black. C63, Black on Black. SRT-10 NightRunner 363of400
How far would the fronts stick out? I would be interested in a square set up trial to see how it performs. Any donors?
Old 07-22-2015, 10:50 PM

2014 C63 AMG 507
17" Hoosiers in the back, 275 width on a stock suspension. Drag racing setup. I love it!
Attached Thumbnails For those that track your C63, let's see your setup-image.jpg  

Last edited by WESLEY KAY; 07-22-2015 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 C63
Quick question - was planning on going to my first track day in the C63, but am noticing everyone here is on 18" (or smaller) wheels on the track. I'd prefer this too, but I'm on 19" wheels at the moment with obviously skinner sidewalls with Hankook ventus v12 evo2 tires. You guys with track experience think this would be okay (although not ideal) for green group/pace car sessions, or is there anything I should be careful of while I'm out there? Any pointers appreciated!
Old 05-17-2016, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
You will be totally fine. There are many of us who track on 19's. It's your first trackday, believe me you're not going to be going *****-out. Just check your fluids before you go, learn about driving on track, and have a good time.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 C63
Thanks BLKROKT for the peace of mind - really appreciate it. First time to the track and I think I'm overthinking everything .. especially since my car outweighs all the other cars on the track day list by about 1000 lbs lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For those that track your C63, let's see your setup