C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

For those that track your C63, let's see your setup

Old 06-16-2010, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63
For those that track your C63, let's see your setup

What wheels/tires ate you using? Size? Make? Staggered? Suspension?

I plan on doing maybe 2 or 3 track days this year. Wondering how the p zero's behave? Maybe, I'll pick some dedicated wheels and tires. Maybe a square setup?

Will need to bring a gas can as back up!

Pictures would also be cool!
Old 06-16-2010, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no more AMG
Are you driving your car to the track or trailering it? This would make a huge difference in your tire set up (if you want them to last anyway) and your fuel needs. I'll assume you'll be driving it there, so I'll base my write up on that. This is my set up which is based on keeping costs down. Personally, I feel once your able to drive a car at it's limit and still want to go faster, thats when it's time to mod. I don't feel I've reached my C63's full potential yet so I'm happy with my set up so far.

Just about every track has a gas station there so I wouldn't worry about that. In fact, I usually top off at the station before I get to the track and I'm able to go all day without any issues.

If your concerned about your paint, I'd invest in a clear bra for the front. If not, your going to get chips bad. I have spots in my vinyl that took the brunt of some rocks.

As far as brakes and suspension, I'm 100% stock. The suspension is stiff anyway and I couldn't imagine going any stiffer as the already somewhat harsh ride would be even more uncomfortable for daily use, but thats your prefference. Personally I find the stock suspension does just fine with little body roll in the turns or under braking. I also track my 2010 Audi A4 that has the sport suspension (which also does really well on the track) and the difference in body roll compaired to my C63 is huge. I'm in the process and working on this for my Audi but I'll leave that on the audi forums . I think the stock brakes work great also and I haven't had any cooling issues, even on tracks that are notorious for eating up brakes like Infineon. The Evosport brakes sound pretty good according to superlubricity's write up. He has a great write up https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-2010-c63.html

For wheels, I just got 19" style V's that I use for my daily driving and run the stock 18's for the track . They're still fairly light compaired to a lot of other aftermarket wheels unless your just going for a set that you want specifically for track use. The Monotec line from MHT and Forgestar are the lightest I've found so far, and even then it's only a couple pounds of weight saving. Whatever you get, stick with 18's but maybe go with something a little wider like 8.5" in the front and 9.5" in the rear.

As far as tires, I think the PZero's are just OK. The side walls are a little too spongy for my taste. I ran Nitto NT555's for a long time for daily driving and track use and got a lot of life out of them. I ended up with 11k miles with 2 track days and an autocross which has to be a C63 recored so far lol. I'm running Sumitomo HTR Z III's with 235/40/18 front and 265/35/18 rears right now. I would have gone with the Nitto's again but I needed tires ASAP and thats all that was available. So far the performance is equal to the the Nitto NT555's but I don't have many track days or miles on them yet so my verdict is still out on how long they last. If you want something more aggressive I would look into the Nitto NT05's. I've heard nothing but good things from everyone who's used them. Again Superlubericity has a great write up https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-2010-c63.html. This combo looks like a good way to go. Honestly, the biggest difference you'll feel on a road course is a set of grippy tires.

Hope that helps.

Look at the difference in body roll compairing it to my Audi

Last edited by NickZag; 06-16-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:46 PM

2010 C63
AWESOME info, thank you for taking the time!!
Old 06-16-2010, 03:26 PM

C63
Your setup will be fine. C63 is a track ready car the 1st day you got it. I used to run nitto invo stock size on track and i was doing perfectly fine. I recently got my 16 spokes 19'' wheels with PS2. I'll see how these tires perform next friday at monticello. I have high expectation on them!

I love my car that i was able to hang with a F430 on the track, theN drive 350 miles up to Canada to visit my girlfriend comfortablely. I'll post some of my track pictures when i get home.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:17 PM

2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
Track ready, but it will also depend on the track and weather conditions. On a long track, no problem rain or shine. On a tight track on a rainy day you'll wish you had an LSD (if you don't have one like me) and less than 4000lbs in a corner. You can't put the power down at all exiting out of tight corners.

Bottom line its track ready but a lot of things can be done to improve it (coil overs, lsd, better tires, weight reduction, tune, etc)

PS I have track videos in HD at Calabogie (passing 911 turbos, M3s, etc), I'll post em sometime!
Old 06-16-2010, 04:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tesla 3, E30, CayenneS
^^ very nice and informative post. Thanks for that. I can't believe there are so many limited options for light weight wheels for this car. I wish HRE and DPE posted the weights on their monoblock forged. Some of those look pretty nice.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:33 PM

2010 C63
I am going this weekend - the only change I am making (already have V1 and after-market LSD) is to tape over my fog lights. I just replaced the right one and it was a complete PITA due to the oil cooler. I do not want to do that again.

Last year I was at the track for a long weekend with 3-4 C63's. They all performed like champs, no problems at all. One was tuned, and another had headers. Other than that, they were stock, including wheels.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:18 PM

C63
For those that track your C63, let's see your setup-_mg_07651.jpg

My friend sucks at taking proper photo, anyway, here you go.

Make your C63 roar on the track! You'll be impressed by it.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
First of all you are going to be very pleased with how well the car performs on a road course especially if it is a fast sweeping track that favors high horsepower cars. The car is also somewhat of a novelty and you will get lots of attention from other participants. Best comment that I have heard was at a drivers meeting when someone asked "Who invited Nascar?" As Nick stated the car stays very well planted with nearly no body lean at all. I have been to 4 DE weekends so far and my car is setup as follows:

Lots of additional power with a Klemann tune and MHP headers
Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs (They wear well but when they go they are gone!) See Below
H&R Sport Springs(slightly firmer but lowers the cog nearly an inch!)
CG cam lock (glues your butt to the seat like velcro)

I am seeking a set of track wheels as well but load ratings, weight and off sets are proving this to be difficult. I may buy someone's oems if priced right.
With a track specific set I would absolutely run Toyo R888's which would allow you to drive back and forth either to hotel or home. A tuner friend of mine(Forged Performance) runs them on a GTR and 370 track cars and dominates everything else on the track.
I would also add a Quafe LSD and KW CS coilovers if I wasn't still recovering from my daughter's wedding. I will be adding Evosport 2 piece rotors as soon as my oems wear enough.(I am trying!)

This turn is taken at more than 80 mph and zero body lean!!!

Old 06-16-2010, 09:20 PM

no more AMG
Originally Posted by hhughes1
First of all you are going to be very pleased with how well the car performs on a road course especially if it is a fast sweeping track that favors high horsepower cars. The car is also somewhat of a novelty and you will get lots of attention from other participants. Best comment that I have heard was at a drivers meeting when someone asked "Who invited Nascar?" As Nick stated the car stays very well planted with nearly no body lean at all. I have been to 4 DE weekends so far and my car is setup as follows:

Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs (They wear well but when they go they are gone!) See Below

I am seeking a set of track wheels as well but load ratings, weight and off sets are proving this to be difficult. I may buy someone's oems if priced right.
With a track specific set I would absolutely run Toyo R888's which would allow you to drive back and forth either to hotel or home. A tuner friend of mine(Forged Performance) runs them on a GTR and 370 track cars and dominates everything else on the track.
I would also add a Quafe LSD and KW CS coilovers if I wasn't still recovering from my daughter's wedding. I will be adding Evosport 2 piece rotors as soon as my oems wear enough.(I am trying!)

That must have been a GREAT day at the track to smoke a front tire like that! Your right about the car being a novelty. When I bring my C63, everyone likes to check it. It's a good feeling.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
Hey Chief!! When were you at Calabogie, I frequent that track and am planning another day there soon, let me know if you do go up, I think there could be a few of us MBworld members who may be interested.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.

You got blisters on your tires.
The outside edge tire temp got way too high.
Try adding a few more lbs air pressure to start using all the tire.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:21 PM

2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
Originally Posted by 1st amg
Hey Chief!! When were you at Calabogie, I frequent that track and am planning another day there soon, let me know if you do go up, I think there could be a few of us MBworld members who may be interested.
I was there on the 8-9th of May, what a cold and rainy/snowy week end. I'm there again with a fun group on the 26th of July if my memory is good, PM if you're interested. Cost is around 300$ for the day. I'll double check the date and current pricing tomorrow if you're interested and make an official thread here.

take care
Old 06-18-2010, 05:25 PM

C63
I did my first event in this car last weekend. I was impressed with how good it is right from the factory. Oil temps stayed reasonable despite ambient temps in the mid-80s. My setup was completely stock with the exception of the front wheel/tire setup. I bought a used set of AMG wheels from a fellow forum member and ran the additional rears up front. This required a 10mm spacer (went with H&R hubcentric) to clear the calipers and strut. The square setup is very nice; neutral through the sweepers, but you can get the back end around in the tight spots with trail braking. I recommend protecting the paint behind the wheel wells. I went with standard race tape but am going to try this stuff next time for more coverage: http://www.buyroadwrap.com/

Like hhughes1, I used a camlock and felt that it added some stability when in the seat. Also, the track day was the best Italian tuneup ever for my transmission. The manual mode had a harsh shift when downshifting from 4 to 3; it would go into gear before the rev-match. After the track day, it's like butter.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
02 C32 AMG, 05 SL55 AMG, 09 SL63 AMG, 14 E350, '18 G550, 92 300ZX & 15' GL63 AMG
Nick, you my friend is my HERO. lol
Old 06-18-2010, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
02 C32 AMG, 05 SL55 AMG, 09 SL63 AMG, 14 E350, '18 G550, 92 300ZX & 15' GL63 AMG
for my stock AMG wheels, im planning on gettn the NittoN555 or NT05 , but ive also heard good things about Falken 452s. according to my friend with the frog mobile , the 452 are pretty sticky tires and last long. VERY interested on giving them a try.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:39 AM

no more AMG
Originally Posted by SGTzAMG
for my stock AMG wheels, im planning on gettn the NittoN555 or NT05 , but ive also heard good things about Falken 452s. according to my friend with the frog mobile , the 452 are pretty sticky tires and last long. VERY interested on giving them a try.
If you go with the NT555's they'll last the longest out of those. The NT05's won't last as long as the compound is softer, but I'm yet to hear a bad review on thier performance. I've heard mixed reviews on the Falken's on performance and wear. Some swear by them, some hate them.

Side note... tell Enrique about Thunderhill on 8/22!
Old 06-20-2010, 10:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C63 AMG Arctic w/ Stage 1 Tune, DoubleXX pipe, MCD-631X coming soon
Being one of the harder users here on this car at the track, one of the things we noticed is that the car def. needs more front neg. camber. Take a heat gun, and monitor your tire temsp across the tread and see what variation you are getting, this will help you understand what your car is going to want. Regarding tires, this is personal choice, and will also boil down to your driving skill level. Beginners I suggest a harder tire that wears better, and will let go a bit faster, this will allow you to feel when the car is at the breaking limit, and allow you to understand the cars chassis dynamics better. The stock pads give us no trouble, however we are going to start trying some new compounds for deeper corner diving. So far we have proven that even a stock suspension NON PP car can kick some M3 azz, BUT you need to understand the car, and it's/your limits, and adjust the alignment based on your tire temps. Also, wantch your tire pressures closely as well, as the track heats up and the harder you drive the tire pressures are going to rise, so watch those, and adjust as well, this is very critical.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:39 AM

2010 C63
Was at Roebling Road this weekend. Was a great time, but you should watch the power steering fluid, it gets very hot -- mine was boiling over (lightly) from the resevoir and I had some cavitation in the pump. I let it cool for 10-15 minutes (in shade with fans), and it was fine for another 20-25 miunute session.

This is apparently not uncommon on C63s due to the location of the reservoir. I thought about removing the front engine cover to allow more air, but M-B techs advised not to, as if the reservoir really let go, the cover might reduce the chance of fluid going everywhere and possibly causing a fire. Apparently some people put sweat bands or hair scrunchies on their resevoir to catch the fluid - let me know if you have done this, as I can't decide if it is a good idea or a silly one.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Originally Posted by Brian GT PRO
Being one of the harder users here on this car at the track, one of the things we noticed is that the car def. needs more front neg. camber. Take a heat gun, and monitor your tire temsp across the tread and see what variation you are getting, this will help you understand what your car is going to want. Regarding tires, this is personal choice, and will also boil down to your driving skill level. Beginners I suggest a harder tire that wears better, and will let go a bit faster, this will allow you to feel when the car is at the breaking limit, and allow you to understand the cars chassis dynamics better. The stock pads give us no trouble, however we are going to start trying some new compounds for deeper corner diving. So far we have proven that even a stock suspension NON PP car can kick some M3 azz, BUT you need to understand the car, and it's/your limits, and adjust the alignment based on your tire temps. Also, wantch your tire pressures closely as well, as the track heats up and the harder you drive the tire pressures are going to rise, so watch those, and adjust as well, this is very critical.
Getting tire pressures right for a 2 ton car on 120 degree asphalt is very difficult. The last weekend out I was adjusting after each session trying to find a balance between decent grip without overheating(look at the blisters) and over inflating to the point of sliding out of every turn. The idea of using a temp sensor is interesting but I may just stay off the track until October.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C63 AMG Arctic w/ Stage 1 Tune, DoubleXX pipe, MCD-631X coming soon
Getting tire pressures right for a 2 ton car on 120 degree asphalt is very difficult. The last weekend out I was adjusting after each session trying to find a balance between decent grip without overheating(look at the blisters) and over inflating to the point of sliding out of every turn. The idea of using a temp sensor is interesting but I may just stay off the track until October.
oh trust me, I agree, we had some health track temps at our last event, but you just got to stay on top of it. Also, you need to look at adding a bit more neg camber up front on your car. Believe it or not, we were able to use a set of Conti SC3 street tires for 1 full event and not blister the tires, and run very very close to par with the turbo Cayman S, and beating up on 2 s/c M3's. The car is much more predictable and we were able to stabilize the wear and temp in the tire from the alignment change and keeping on top of our pressures.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:33 PM
GHT

2009 C63
Originally Posted by FBTO
What wheels/tires ate you using? Size? Make? Staggered? Suspension?

I plan on doing maybe 2 or 3 track days this year. Wondering how the p zero's behave? Maybe, I'll pick some dedicated wheels and tires. Maybe a square setup?

Will need to bring a gas can as back up!

Pictures would also be cool!
Are you the guy who had the Lexus ISF that wore the sidewalls off the tires at Mosport last year?I was there in a silver Z06 and boy did I find that funny.My son has a picture of your tires somewhere and I will have to post it up.My M3 friends told me that Lexus even replaced the tires under warranty for you.Do not expect that MB,as I know from experiance that in Toronto they seem to have a problem with cars that are tracked.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:18 PM

2010 C63
Originally Posted by GHT
Are you the guy who had the Lexus ISF that wore the sidewalls off the tires at Mosport last year?I was there in a silver Z06 and boy did I find that funny.My son has a picture of your tires somewhere and I will have to post it up.My M3 friends told me that Lexus even replaced the tires under warranty for you.Do not expect that MB,as I know from experiance that in Toronto they seem to have a problem with cars that are tracked.
Yup, that was me. And Lexus not only replaced both front tires, but they also replaced both front rotors and pads!

Yes, not expecting the same from MB. Trying to find the right way to attack this with the C63, and keep my tires and brakes healthy, and maximizing the fun!
Old 06-24-2010, 05:19 PM

2010 C63
Originally Posted by Brian GT PRO
So what is your tire pressure process. How much do you start with cold? What should it be before and after a hot session? Should I let some out after a hot session?

Also, mine are filled with nitrogen...how does that play in the mix?
Old 06-24-2010, 10:08 PM

no more AMG
Originally Posted by FBTO
So what is your tire pressure process. How much do you start with cold? What should it be before and after a hot session? Should I let some out after a hot session?

Also, mine are filled with nitrogen...how does that play in the mix?
I usually run my tires at 45psi. As your tires heat up from use and track conditions, the air molecules will start to expand and tire pressure will increase. Getting that dialed in can be kind of tricky at first, but once you've done it once or twice it's pretty easy. Rarely have I deflated, usually I end up adding. I look at the outside edges of my tires after the end of a session to see how it's wearing. I usually don't see the difference in my C63 as much as I do on my Audi, but scuffing on the outside edges is a pretty good indicator that you need to increase the psi. In my C63, I go more by feel as my Audi understeers not matter what lol. Unless your pressures are WAY off, you'll feel understeer if they're under inflated or oversteer if they're over inflated. The best way to dial it in is by running the manufactures recommended PSI in your tires and adjust it from there. Also, chat with others that have simular cars and tires to see what they're running. M3 drivers are usefull for this lol.

Nitrogen isn't nearly as prone to the effects of heat like air is. The only disadvantage of it is that it costs more and can be difficult to find if you need to make an adjustment. You could top it off with air but to me that just defeats the purpose.

Last edited by NickZag; 06-24-2010 at 10:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Case1906 (05-18-2016)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For those that track your C63, let's see your setup