Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New DR520 model (UK only?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 01:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG GT-S & GLE 63S Coupe
Right guys - being in the UK, I've known about this one for a few weeks. Also, I very nearly bought one of these instead of having my interior upgraded by AMG but...it's just a normal C63 with a matt wrap, a tune and the different interior.

However, the DR520 is not offically approved by AMG; it is a UK only example which has had the changes applied by MB UK. In fact,I mentioned this to AMG in Germany a few weeks ago and they were very unhappy with MB UK for doing this with 'other' suppliers and not going directly to them!

With regards to the inside, the quality of the re-trim is nowhere near as good as what AMG have done inside mine...yes, it has that alcantara dash but, like my car was before it went back to AMG, its only the top of the dash and I prefer my full leather version (well, leather is a nicer product isn't it!). The main thing I don't like is the seats which have been re-trimmed in half alcantara and half leather....but the leather used is much poorer quality compared to fine nappa stuff used in regular C63's.

The power upgrade is actually the (Mercedes-approved) Brabus B63 kit. I too am getting this fitted to mine and was supposed to get this done today but I couldn't get off work in time. I'm now going to have the Brabus kit fitted 3 weeks tomorrow which is costing around £5k ($8,000) Crazy money but it's approved and doesn't affect my warranty!

So, looking at the price of the DR520 which is actually a good £11,000 ($17,000) more than a normal C63, it's actually slightly more expensive than the cost of my car even after I've paid for the leather re-trim and the Brabus kit. Oh...and my way of doing this buy's me Brabus badges!

Last edited by Palmball; 07-02-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Don't like the retrim on the seats, it looks very cheap and tacky. But I love those wheels and grill.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:03 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
12C P85DL
Originally Posted by Palmball
Right guys - being in the UK, I've known about this one for a few weeks. Also, I very nearly bought one of these instead of having my interior upgraded by AMG but...it's just a normal C63 with a matt wrap, a tune and the different interior.

However, the DR520 is not offically approved by AMG; it is a UK only example which has had the changes applied by MB UK. In fact,I mentioned this to AMG in Germany a few weeks ago and they were very unhappy with MB UK for doing this with 'other' suppliers and not going directly to them!
I am curious about one specific detail of this project and perhaps you can shed some light on it.

As I understand what you have said, the increase in horsepower is due to an aftermarket tune that was not supplied/supported by AMG Germany and the "warranty" is a third party extended or added warranty to replace/augment the normal MB/AMG warranty. Basically, this would be the same type of approach that Dinan has used on the BMW tunes they sell. Is this correct? I am interested to know if this car/package can be taken to any MB dealer, have Star do a firmware update as directed by MB AMG servers and still have that DR horsepower. If it can, then it is supported by MB AMG whether they say so publicly or not.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:39 AM

AMG GT-S & GLE 63S Coupe
Originally Posted by lolachampcar
I am curious about one specific detail of this project and perhaps you can shed some light on it.

As I understand what you have said, the increase in horsepower is due to an aftermarket tune that was not supplied/supported by AMG Germany and the "warranty" is a third party extended or added warranty to replace/augment the normal MB/AMG warranty. Basically, this would be the same type of approach that Dinan has used on the BMW tunes they sell. Is this correct? I am interested to know if this car/package can be taken to any MB dealer, have Star do a firmware update as directed by MB AMG servers and still have that DR horsepower. If it can, then it is supported by MB AMG whether they say so publicly or not.
You are exactly right in what you say - in the UK, the factory/AMG warranty is honoured by MB UK and their official dealers. MB UK also approve and honour the Brabus warranty. So in effect, the car is covered by AMG and the Brabus warranty depending what part goes wrong with the car....but both of them are looked after your local MB main dealer. From a customer point of view, it should be seamless.

With regards to plugging the car into Star and having software upgrades for instance, it is possible that the 520bhp upgrade will be wiped off like any other tune. But, the difference with the Brabus tune to any other one is that the Brabus (IIRC) is the only one that upgrades the ECU via the OBD port meaning the ECU doesn't have to come out and be sent off anywhere. I'm not sure why this is the case; maybe MB gave Brabus more access to the ECU protocols to be able to do this??? Someone more knowledgeable may be able to confirm this.

The key thing is when you buy a Brabus kit, or I imagine the DR520, the customer gets a module that they can plug into the OBD port. This means if ever the tune is wiped off, the customer can always put the tune back on. The module is locked to one particular cars' ECU so the module cannot be used to put the Brabus tune on another car.

It's for this reason, and the fact that my warranty remains in tact that I have decided to pay the significant amount extra and get the Brabus tune over say a Kleeman tune.

Mine gets fitted in 3 weeks so I'll let you all know what it's like then!
Old 07-03-2010, 02:43 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
12C P85DL
The key thing is when you buy a Brabus kit, or I imagine the DR520, the customer gets a module that they can plug into the OBD port. This means if ever the tune is wiped off, the customer can always put the tune back on. The module is locked to one particular cars' ECU so the module cannot be used to put the Brabus tune on another car.
A dealer update normally changes the firmware on the ECU along with the calibration data (it is a technical distinction but there are two distinct regions in the ME97, a lager firmware area which very few people touch and the calibration tables which everyone mucks with). Any tool which seeks to restore an ECU to a previous state once Star has updated it must either update the new calibration section with edited calibration data or “roll back” the firmware and calibration to previous one. Both of those are highly specialized functions that normally only MB/AMG have the capability to do. I would be beyond impressed if someone outside of MB/AMG can accomplish those types of functions without opening the ECU.

If anyone gets one of these things, please post your experience with the firmware and service.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GT2 C63 and yo sister
You are exactly right in what you say - in the UK, the factory/AMG warranty is honoured by MB UK and their official dealers. MB UK also approve and honour the Brabus warranty. So in effect, the car is covered by AMG and the Brabus warranty depending what part goes wrong with the car....but both of them are looked after your local MB main dealer. From a customer point of view, it should be seamless.

With regards to plugging the car into Star and having software upgrades for instance, it is possible that the 520bhp upgrade will be wiped off like any other tune. But, the difference with the Brabus tune to any other one is that the Brabus (IIRC) is the only one that upgrades the ECU via the OBD port meaning the ECU doesn't have to come out and be sent off anywhere. I'm not sure why this is the case; maybe MB gave Brabus more access to the ECU protocols to be able to do this??? Someone more knowledgeable may be able to confirm this.

It's for this reason, and the fact that my warranty remains in tact that I have decided to pay the significant amount extra and get the Brabus tune over say a Kleeman tune.

Mine gets fitted in 3 weeks so I'll let you all know what it's like then!

so if you have any problems you can return the car to "stock" and have warranty coverage?
Old 07-03-2010, 02:50 PM

C63
Dare I ask the MSRP for this one?

Did they replace our crappy tranny too with a double clutch system?
Old 07-03-2010, 06:16 PM

AMG GT-S & GLE 63S Coupe
Firstly, the Brabus tune is 100% done through the OBD port - they even give you a module to put the tune back on yourself if ever you need to so it definitely does not need the ECU to come out and be modified on the unit itself.

Secondly, and this may only apply to the UK, but there is absolutely no need to take the tune off to have any warranty work done on the car; like I have said before, the Brabus tune is approved by MB (UK) hence it is sold in ALL of their UK main dealers.

MB/AMG in germany (the manufacturer) may not like this but then we don't buy the car directly from them - as a customer in the UK, my contract is with MB UK and their approved dealer network and in the case of a Brabus kit or the DR520, it is MB UK that honour the warranty. So, regardless of whether anything is approved by AMG directly, the company I am buying the car from (MB UK) will warrant the car for 3 years with a Brabus kit.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:20 PM

Firstly, the Brabus tune is 100% done through the OBD port - they even give you a module to put the tune back on yourself if ever you need to so it definitely does not need the ECU to come out and be modified on the unit itself.

Secondly, and this may only apply to the UK, but there is absolutely no need to take the tune off to have any warranty work done on the car; like I have said before, the Brabus tune is approved by MB (UK) hence it is sold in ALL of their UK main dealers.

MB/AMG in germany (the manufacturer) may not like this but then we don't buy the car directly from them - as a customer in the UK, my contract is with MB UK and their approved dealer network and in the case of a Brabus kit or the DR520, it is MB UK that honour the warranty. So, regardless of whether anything is approved by AMG directly, the company I am buying the car from (MB UK) will warrant the car for 3 years with a Brabus kit.
Hi, Palmball, one question, what difference has the B63 kit with the B63S kit. Which parts come with the B63 kit?
Old 07-04-2010, 01:20 AM

Gs 300, Rx 330

With regards to the inside, the quality of the re-trim is nowhere near as good as what AMG have done inside mine...yes, it has that alcantara dash but, like my car was before it went back to AMG, its only the top of the dash and I prefer my full leather version (well, leather is a nicer product isn't it!). The main thing I don't like is the seats which have been re-trimmed in half alcantara and half leather....but the leather used is much poorer quality compared to fine nappa stuff used in regular C63's.

The power upgrade is actually the (Mercedes-approved) Brabus B63 kit. I too am getting this fitted to mine and was supposed to get this done today but I couldn't get off work in time. I'm now going to have the Brabus kit fitted 3 weeks tomorrow which is costing around £5k ($8,000) Crazy money but it's approved and doesn't affect my warranty!

So, looking at the price of the DR520 which is actually a good £11,000 ($17,000) more than a normal C63, it's actually slightly more expensive than the cost of my car even after I've paid for the leather re-trim and the Brabus kit. Oh...and my way of doing this buy's me Brabus badges!
The difference is, that the resale of this car would be higher than yours because it is an exclusive car from MB UK. While your car was personally customized.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:52 AM

AMG GT-S & GLE 63S Coupe
Originally Posted by adam28
The difference is, that the resale of this car would be higher than yours because it is an exclusive car from MB UK. While your car was personally customized.
Yes to some degree but when I looked at the Personal Contract Purchase (PCP) prices MB UK only put about £1k extra value on the DR520 over a normal C63 after 4 years (not sure if you have PCP's in the States but its where you have the future value of the car deferred until the end of the agreement so is always a good indicator as to what the finance companies think the car will be worth in x amount of years).

TBH, both of them will drop a load of value compared to other cars that cost £60-£70k

Last edited by Palmball; 07-04-2010 at 04:58 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:54 AM

AMG GT-S & GLE 63S Coupe
Originally Posted by Evo II
Hi, Palmball, one question, what difference has the B63 kit with the B63S kit. Which parts come with the B63 kit?
The B63S kit has a metal catalyst upgrade on top of the filters and remap of the B63 kit. Brabus quote an extra 10hp so considering it's an extra £5k (yes, another $8,000!!) that' got to be the most expensive 10hp going!