Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do people make you feel guilty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GT2 C63 and yo sister
most people in their late teens and twenties are mindless drones waiting for someone to take care of them, they will never understand the pleasure of sucess or a fine German automobile
Old 07-03-2010, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG
Under-consumption is just as bad as over-consumption - this, however, does not seem to be the case!

furthermore, I think the forum needs to start charging for the emotional support provided by its members!

good luck acquiring your dream - I am in the process of doing the same thing...

Fiancee will get the leftovers - ie the c3004m

Happy 4th everyone - remember, this is the land of the free and home of the brave..

Be brave and step up to your own plate...furthermore, you are free to do what you want. it is a pre-requisite to living in the US

Old 07-03-2010, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63 AMG (Marrano Tune and K&N airfilters)
Firstly congratulations on being being able to afford such a car at such at young age. Obviously you have worked very hard for your money and the whole point of that is to be able afford pleasures others can only dream of. While buying a car is never a wise financial decision, the joy of driving a car such as a c63 is worth it! You only live once and who knows what tomorrow will bring. Enjoy and dont look back.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Enjoy!

Congratulations to be in a position to buy a 70K car @ 24!!! Bravo! I drove a mustang 5.0 in my 20's and thought I was the bomb..... (This was back in the vanilla ice days soooo you have to forgive me)

I too have noticed the haters come out in droves when we started driving the 3 pointed star cars........ . one office mate immediately got online in front of my other office mates and looked up the price and performance of our new c63 the day we got it........... to see how her convertible M3 automatic compared...... I was shocked to see all my office mates in her cramped office *****ing about my car! That place and those people are in my rear-view now I've moved on to better things.

Every morning my wife and I get up to our C63 and my CLK55 we are reminded of the extra hours and decisions we've made up to this point that allow us to enjoy these machines..... they make us no better than anyone else..... but they do make us VERY HAPPY!........ the fit and finish, the sounds, the tq, the smell of the leather....... the tactical feel of each knob, lever, latch, door, switch, button..... is just built right.

Enjoy!
Old 07-03-2010, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
Originally Posted by someuser

I am 26, and I've saved for this car, so it wrong to buy it? I don't see myself young at all. In fact, I think I'm old! And the way I see it is, if I don't buy it at this age, I'll never will because I'll keep thinking, I need to pay for other expenses and reinvest the money somewhere else...!
Thats fine. I am also 26 and my friend, who is 26 as well just bought a f430 scud to compliment his DBS. His business is going well.

As long as you can afford gas, tires and maintenance you're good
Old 07-04-2010, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
'18 C63A Cabriolet
So I am telling a few friends of mine that I will be getting the C63 and once I tell them the price they keep saying things like "you're too young", "spend the money somewhere else and you can do miracles"... It sometimes put me down and makes me think twice... But on the other hand, when I look at the pictures of this beautiful beast, there's no other car I want to be in other than that.
I know I won't probably be able to drive it as fast as I like because of the road rules but still, knowing that you will beat almost any car around you is just an ecstatic sensation.

I am 26, and I've saved for this car, so it wrong to buy it? I don't see myself young at all. In fact, I think I'm old! And the way I see it is, if I don't buy it at this age, I'll never will because I'll keep thinking, I need to pay for other expenses and reinvest the money somewhere else...!
Bro, you only get so many days in your life and you might as well pack in as much driving enjoyment as you can in the number given. If you aren't neglecting other more important things and choose to spend your $$ on a C63, so be it. Have a blast. I am. This car is theraputic on several levels.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:20 PM

C63 AMG
Same thing here...

Same thing here. I am 23 and drive a Black C63 for almost one month now.
It´s a strange feeling people make us feel guilty, i know that as well. I see
myself often trying to hide my car infront of new customers and friends,
because i got some strange reactions for my new car. A few told me the
are happy for me, enjoying such a nice car and on the other side good friends
start to behave very strange and i hate it! But once i sit in the car and rev
the engine i forget about all this b*****it and know exactly why i bought it.

Place your order on Thusday and u will never regret it ;-)

Best regards,
Daniel
Old 07-04-2010, 05:01 PM

C63
Originally Posted by C63Dude
Same thing here. I am 23 and drive a Black C63 for almost one month now.
It´s a strange feeling people make us feel guilty, i know that as well. I see
myself often trying to hide my car infront of new customers and friends,
because i got some strange reactions for my new car. A few told me the
are happy for me, enjoying such a nice car and on the other side good friends
start to behave very strange and i hate it! But once i sit in the car and rev
the engine i forget about all this b*****it and know exactly why i bought it.

Place your order on Thusday and u will never regret it ;-)

Best regards,
Daniel
Welcome to the Forums and congratulations on your new ride!
Old 07-05-2010, 05:27 AM

C63 AMG / E3 HSV GTS
Try it in Aus where it's a $160K car ...

I'm 33 and I'm getting the same reaction from some people. F#*k 'em, I've worked damn hard since leaving school and my wife and kids go without nothing. I'm not sacrificing to buy this car, I'm enjoying the fruits of my hard work over that last 15 years. If someone has a problem with that then they can deal with it ... not my problem.

Enjoy the car mate ... if you can afford it then why not! Sensational choice, looks great, goes great, sounds great and has a back seat, 4 doors and a decent boot! It's the perfect car in my book.

Congrats ...
Old 07-05-2010, 02:41 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
As long as you don't have it parked it front of your trailer home, good for you. At your age, I was just getting married and had things like a house and stuff to look after, I am sure you have planned this out properly to move forward in your life, not to have your car act like a noose around your neck. I plan to get either a C63 or E550 Coupe and nothing screams panache like the three pointed star, with AMG turning it up a few notches!

When people tell me merd like "it must be nice" i just smile and tell them " yeah, it really is", with a smirk to boot. I don't need to justify my actions to anyone nor do you, nor do i need to apologize for the acquisitions of things that I pay for. If I feel like being more rude, I'll say something like " it's not like I won it" someone has to pay for these things...

Life is full of jealous haters who will be the first ones on your doorstep when misfortune hits the guy in the new C63, I think all these forum members should be applauded for getting to this point and also knowing how to live your life in a world filled with hate and jealousy. Be dignified and live with your integrity intact and the haters will squirm into their holes again.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Who cares what other people think?

Just be your own man.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:11 PM

2009 C63 AMG / 2007 BMW 130i M Sport
So I am telling a few friends of mine that I will be getting the C63 and once I tell them the price they keep saying things like "you're too young", "spend the money somewhere else and you can do miracles"... It sometimes put me down and makes me think twice... But on the other hand, when I look at the pictures of this beautiful beast, there's no other car I want to be in other than that.
I know I won't probably be able to drive it as fast as I like because of the road rules but still, knowing that you will beat almost any car around you is just an ecstatic sensation.

As stated by the majority here, it all depends on your cash flow and savings. If you have enough money to maintain your life standard or (even better) get richer and still get the car, do it. And don't give too much attention to what other people say. To my mother in law, it makes absolute sense to pay 7k Reais (about 4k dollars) for a Louis Vuitton, but not 60k for a C class.

In another level: to an art collector, paying 80 million dollars for a Pollock is like saving big money. Ok, flame me and say that the car depreciates and the Pollock only gets expensiver. But try to sell an 80 million dollar paint overnight. It will take a while to get a good buyer.

I felt remorse for 1 night (1 night only) when I got my first performance car, which was an e46 M3. I was 22. The night it arrived, i stayed almost 2 hours in the garage looking at the car and thinking that I could travel the world with the money, invest on stock etc. This feeling was originated mostly from comments and opinions from other people. But then I drove it and sent it all to hell.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:09 PM

2009 C63 P30 Palladium Silver, XC70, Murano, Spec Miata, E30 M3 S50
[QUOTE=Militia;4144852]Dude, you're 26. I don't know your financial situation, or how you plan to build on your future -- but this is not an expensive car.
If you have responsibilities and money is scarce, then be smart and invest in something that will make your money grow.
If you aren't at a shortage of funds, and you like the car as much as you do, then go for it.

In some situations, it's true that when people desperately want something, it quickly loses the significance once obtained;
however, I can't say that about this car. Even if it would ever be overwhelming one night, I would fall in love all over again with the morning roar.[/QUOTE]

Hallelujah on the morning roar! Gets my day going with a smile when I fire it up! As long as you take care of your financial responsibilities and have a plan for the inevitable rainy day, drive the car you want, eat the food you like and wear the clothes that make you feel good. Also, find friends who don't judge you on stuff like this.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:43 PM

2005 Saab 9-3 2.0t
Hey so i don't own a C 63, but it is something that i am looking forward to in the future. Hopefully, if my marks stay high and get the right breaks.

One thing i've learned really well in my 20 years of existence is that, people who are holding you back by using guilt aren't worth being around. Surround yourself with friends who will encourage you, and also point you in the right direction. If one of them had said, "hey, you know you have this, this and this, hence i believe you should think twice." it would have been more credible then using guilt.

i say go for it!
Old 07-07-2010, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
xx

"Also, find friends who don't judge you on stuff like this."

Well put.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
While I agree with most of the points made, I will disagree with those saying find new friends.

Here's the thing, the car, it is alot of money, make sure its something you want and can afford, those points have been made. On the flip side, many of your friends are not necessarily trying to make you feel guilty because they are jealous, but rather looking our for a friends best interest since they may not have all the details behind your budgeting and motivation.

I just got mine, about 3 months ago, my wife is still mad at me (mostly over the gas mileage heh....) and refuses to drive it, or even drive in it (I have to take her car most of the time if we go somewhere together). She is just not a car person, and our quality of life has not changed (well mine has.. I stopped eating fast food 3 times a day [and no, I am not 500 pounds either...] and changed some of my spending habits.. like say $500 or more on electronic toys, my mountain bikes, my nitro RC car..).

All in all, do whatever you feel is right, but just be aware that a car in this price range will tax you financially your financing it, so be prepared, unless your paying cash outright for the car, then I just hate you
Old 07-15-2010, 05:16 PM

C63
Also, what pissed me off even more she said "you'll enjoy it for the first month then you'll feel remorse for the money you paid" -- like... REALLY?!
She's probably speaking from her own experience.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by RLx02
who is 26 as well just bought a f430 scud to compliment his DBS. His business is going well.
What kind of business is he in?
Old 07-19-2010, 12:19 AM

n/a
Let's get the first thing out of the way: they are at least a little bit right. There are few investments as bad as buying cars. You pay considerable amounts and then maintenance is some more, then when you sell you get $hat on by depreciation. So financially it does not make sense.

BUT we're humans. There are things we enjoy that do not make a lot of sense financially. Some people buy expensive shoes and handbags, some people spend a fortune on gardening, some spend it on home improvement, holidays, boats, you name it. Different things for different people. Make your own judgement whether it's good/bad/right/wrong just try not to judge others.

The point is that as long as you've thought things through, gone through the numbers and all that with a clear and responsible head, then there's not a great deal to worry about.

The way I see it, if you are passionate about something there's nothing wrong with sensibly indulging yourself. I want to live my life responsibly, and most importantly, happily. I'd hate myself if one day I wake up and find myself at 80 and still living a 'someday' life.

Oh, and one more thing, I think 26 is a little young, but a good age for things like fast cars. Every time I see a 60 year old in a Ferrari, I die a little.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:55 AM

2014 E550 Cab
Quoted for truth. Buying any car shouldn't be thought of as an investment. The situation is different for everyone so if you can justify it to yourself I don't see why not. You only live once and you definitely can't bring it with you when you die.

Originally Posted by x838nwy
Let's get the first thing out of the way: they are at least a little bit right. There are few investments as bad as buying cars. You pay considerable amounts and then maintenance is some more, then when you sell you get $hat on by depreciation. So financially it does not make sense.

BUT we're humans. There are things we enjoy that do not make a lot of sense financially. Some people buy expensive shoes and handbags, some people spend a fortune on gardening, some spend it on home improvement, holidays, boats, you name it. Different things for different people. Make your own judgement whether it's good/bad/right/wrong just try not to judge others.

The point is that as long as you've thought things through, gone through the numbers and all that with a clear and responsible head, then there's not a great deal to worry about.

The way I see it, if you are passionate about something there's nothing wrong with sensibly indulging yourself. I want to live my life responsibly, and most importantly, happily. I'd hate myself if one day I wake up and find myself at 80 and still living a 'someday' life.

Oh, and one more thing, I think 26 is a little young, but a good age for things like fast cars. Every time I see a 60 year old in a Ferrari, I die a little.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:38 PM

2011 Ultima GTR
You see, the problem with most people is that they see a car as a 100% expense, where really it isn't. The car "expense" is the depreciation + runnings costs, because at the end of the day you can always sell the car and recoup its market value.

For example, I am 23 now (but 22 when I ordered my C63) and my C63 cost 140,000USD here in Australia. I paid cash for it, I didn't want a loan, finance or a lease because I wanted my car to be very liquid (sell it instantly at a cheap price if I need fast cash). People gawked at me spending that much money on a car, but I didn't care so did it anyway. Really, I'll sell it for around 100,000USD in 2 years time and only lose out 40k. If you compare that to people who party/drink/drugs/whatever, 20k a year isn't bad really.

Second, I see a car as an investment. What I mean by that is that for me, a good car is an investment in my happiness, which is reflected in my daily being and drive/motivation to make more money. Some people don't understand why I like nice/fast cars, but for me that moment when I get in every morning and start the drive to work, I just think "FUUUCKKK YEAH!" and it just gives me that extra little bit of happiness.

Also, as Rawrblack said above, surround yourself with people who encourage you to spend your money (and wisely). My girlfriend, she is the best and always pushes me to dream bigger and bigger, so that I work harder and smarter to achieve those goals. She has no issues with me spending big on anything, because she knows those are my goals that I am achieving and they make me happy. I don't think your current friends are "bad" as some might say, I just think they need to be told that you are not just "spending" your money, but achieving your goal(s) and investing in your happiness.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
##

I like the part about your C63 being part of your Journey and achievements.

Also unlike a lake house, or stocks, or a gold bar, you drive your car everyday to/from work....... so really from a daily use aspect it is a GOOD investment in happiness....... every morning when I get up to go to work, I get up just a little early on cool mornings so I have the roads to myself for that 1/2 hr trip downtown..... and as I walk to the car park garage I smile thinking about firing up the AMG.

You really don't see that many AMG's rolling around.... at least not in my daily commute I don't.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:27 PM

2011 Ultima GTR
Originally Posted by betrezra
I like the part about your C63 being part of your Journey and achievements.

Also unlike a lake house, or stocks, or a gold bar, you drive your car everyday to/from work....... so really from a daily use aspect it is a GOOD investment in happiness....... every morning when I get up to go to work, I get up just a little early on cool mornings so I have the roads to myself for that 1/2 hr trip downtown..... and as I walk to the car park garage I smile thinking about firing up the AMG.
Funnily enough, one of the quotes that I now incorporate into my life daily I heard in the movie Confessions of a Shopaholic. It went along these lines: "Cost and worth are very different things"

For me, a car is WORTH every penny, regardless its COST and that's because a car gives me happiness, which to me is priceless. Of course keep it in perspective though, meaning if you can't afford it, don't get it, but if you can afford it and it makes you happy, do it.

All that you have in life is experiences and memories, you can't take your investments with you into the after-life. So I find it's also about balance. Always split your money up some for the future and some for the moment, because at the end of the day, you never know when your last moment will be.

To the OP: Go with your gut. It is your life after all.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:02 AM

2009 C63 AMG / 2007 BMW 130i M Sport
Man... after this morning philosophy reading, I'm ready for my day, clearly more motivated to do nothing in this god forsaken law firm.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:53 AM

No one can 'make us' feel guilty, right?

We can do the right thing (conscience) and still 'feel' guilty.

Strong parents who aren't afraid of their kids disapproval (and losing their 'buddy' status) and discipline them fairly sometimes know this feeling.

Hear this alot and I used to say it as well...'They make me so angry' and 'They make me so frustrated'.

Nah.

They can't.

Last edited by 4cammerbenz; 07-20-2010 at 10:56 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Why do people make you feel guilty?