C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Why do people make you feel guilty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Corolla
Originally Posted by someuser
So I am telling a few friends of mine that I will be getting the C63 and once I tell them the price they keep saying things like "you're too young", "spend the money somewhere else and you can do miracles"... It sometimes put me down and makes me think twice... But on the other hand, when I look at the pictures of this beautiful beast, there's no other car I want to be in other than that.
I know I won't probably be able to drive it as fast as I like because of the road rules but still, knowing that you will beat almost any car around you is just an ecstatic sensation.

I am 26, and I've saved for this car, so it wrong to buy it? I don't see myself young at all. In fact, I think I'm old! And the way I see it is, if I don't buy it at this age, I'll never will because I'll keep thinking, I need to pay for other expenses and reinvest the money somewhere else...!
I'll play.

First off, this is my first post here, hopefully not my last. I am 26 like yourself, a college graduate making a decent living in a decent city. There's nothing I'd rather do right now than to empty out my ING account, head to the local MB dealer, and place a stack of $100 bills on the sales managers desk while asking him place me in the silver E63 sitting out front.

Sadly though, my mode of transportation is and will continue to be my trusty Toyota Corolla. It gets me to and from work reliably, and doesn't cost $5,000 every time I take it to the dealer to get repaired. Granted, it won't beat the guy in the 911 in the lane next to me, nor will it melt the rear (or in my case front) tyres with the slight push of my right foot, and I certainly don't get a smile that betrezra alluded to when I'm about to fire it up.

Why are your friends jealous? Hmm, interesting to ponder. If you live here in the US, you live in the land of credit card debt, where the only thing that matters is having nicer **** than the guy next door. To comfortably afford something as much as the C63, one really should be making upwards of $90,000 a year. The average 26 year old makes $36,000 a year. So, you're either A. Very skilled, B. Are living completely beyond your means, or C. Someone else is paying for your car.

If you are making $90,000 a year at 26, congrats. You are in the extreme minority, and should be very proud of yourself. If this was the case, I'd tell my friends to eat ****, that you've worked very hard and have earned a very well paying job.

If B or C is the case, you should be ashamed of yourself. At 26, assuming you went to college, you've only been in the workforce for 4 years. You think that a C63 is a just reward for a piece of paper that everyone else earned and 4 years in the workforce? What are you going to reward yourself with when you're 30, a LearJet? If your parents are paying for your car...you are exploiting their hard work for your own personal gain. Nothing irritates me more than people who buy things to make themselves appear better than they are using money that isn't theirs. You didn't earn it, you shouldn't reap the reward.

As for me...I'll continue to stop by the MB dealer and look at the AMG's from behind the glass of my POS Corolla. I have a long way to climb on the corporate ladder yet. When I can afford the car though, and after I've earned it, I will walk out of the dealer with keys to one of my very own silver arrows.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:46 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
"If your parents are paying for your car...you are exploiting their hard work for your own personal gain. Nothing irritates me more than people who buy things to make themselves appear better than they are using money that isn't theirs. You didn't earn it, you shouldn't reap the reward."

I don't have a problem with parents paying for cars of their kids. Most parents who have half a brain, and those that are successful tend to have a brain most of the time, are investing in their children. They may be part of the family business, they may be an exemplary student, etc...you sound a little resentful and jealous of others in your comments.

If my child is a loser, I won't be buying him anything. If my children are successful, work hard and are smart with money, then if I am in the position to, I will release. I was lucky enough when I got married that my father gave me a substantial down payment on my home, 12 years ago. When people asked me about the home, I never shied away from the fact that my parents helped me substantially with my purchase, so the point of people misrepresenting their possessions, I am with you. However, it didn't stop people from labelling me a certain way, even though I am a very successful businessman and lawyer in my own right...so it is a tricky slope.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:54 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 Chevy Suburban, 2017 GLS450 4MATIC, 1993 Chevy Corvette
Originally Posted by cek
Some people are just not car people. I've learned that myself. They just don't 'get it'. They think of cars as transportation; nothing more.
If it floats YOUR boat and doesn't harm anyone else, then what others think doesn't really matter.
Amen. I believe this ultimately is what is at the root of every negative comment any "car nut" will ever receive. I am 23 and just recently picked up a used C55 (30K miles) and received the exact same comments as you from coworkers, friends, and family. The C55 is older, less expensive, and less powerful than the C63. Just goes to show you it doesn't really matter what type of car it is, people will always have something negative to say who "don't get it".

To you I say - happy driving
Old 07-21-2010, 02:14 PM

2010 C63, 2002 Corvette Z06
You can't put a price on passion and a zest for life.

I experienced this first when I got my corvette when I was 27 - again in my mind, not that young. But everyone around you tries to steal your energy - with the vette it was (and still is) "oh it must be so bad on gas" "oh wow you can't drive that in the winter" "oh you can't have more than one passenger" "oh you must be car poor" yada yada yada - know what it all is? Just displaced rationalization.. all the reasons that people have given themselves to not own a car like that. The reality? I bought it used for about $30k and financed it through the bank. My payment was less per month than a lot of people were paying for their minivans and SUVs.

Fast forward to last fall when I picked up the C63 (which I like to call my winter beater, hehehe). Same reaction.. people can't comprehend how I can drive cars like this. Funny thing is these same people spend hundreds of dollars going out to clubs or eating out 20 times a month.

Haters gon hate, and people are going to project all their insecurities on you. Every guy who's ball-busting wife won't "let him" get a car he likes, every guy who's not man enough to commit to the financial obligation, every person who's afraid to LIVE and chooses to save for a rainy day that may or may not come... they are all going to try and steal you energy. Don't let them - you cannot put a price on happiness or the sheer joy and pride of driving something you are passionate about.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:21 PM

2010 C63, 2002 Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by Poor Person
I'll play.

First off, this is my first post here, hopefully not my last. I am 26 like yourself, a college graduate making a decent living in a decent city. There's nothing I'd rather do right now than to empty out my ING account, head to the local MB dealer, and place a stack of $100 bills on the sales managers desk while asking him place me in the silver E63 sitting out front.

Sadly though, my mode of transportation is and will continue to be my trusty Toyota Corolla. It gets me to and from work reliably, and doesn't cost $5,000 every time I take it to the dealer to get repaired. Granted, it won't beat the guy in the 911 in the lane next to me, nor will it melt the rear (or in my case front) tyres with the slight push of my right foot, and I certainly don't get a smile that betrezra alluded to when I'm about to fire it up.

Why are your friends jealous? Hmm, interesting to ponder. If you live here in the US, you live in the land of credit card debt, where the only thing that matters is having nicer **** than the guy next door. To comfortably afford something as much as the C63, one really should be making upwards of $90,000 a year. The average 26 year old makes $36,000 a year. So, you're either A. Very skilled, B. Are living completely beyond your means, or C. Someone else is paying for your car.

If you are making $90,000 a year at 26, congrats. You are in the extreme minority, and should be very proud of yourself. If this was the case, I'd tell my friends to eat ****, that you've worked very hard and have earned a very well paying job.

If B or C is the case, you should be ashamed of yourself. At 26, assuming you went to college, you've only been in the workforce for 4 years. You think that a C63 is a just reward for a piece of paper that everyone else earned and 4 years in the workforce? What are you going to reward yourself with when you're 30, a LearJet? If your parents are paying for your car...you are exploiting their hard work for your own personal gain. Nothing irritates me more than people who buy things to make themselves appear better than they are using money that isn't theirs. You didn't earn it, you shouldn't reap the reward.

As for me...I'll continue to stop by the MB dealer and look at the AMG's from behind the glass of my POS Corolla. I have a long way to climb on the corporate ladder yet. When I can afford the car though, and after I've earned it, I will walk out of the dealer with keys to one of my very own silver arrows.
Haters gon hate. You'll never get to the top of that ladder my friend.. and when you do, you'll be too old and too bored with life to even care about cars. The average 26 year old is average - the average PERSON is average. Living a life slaving away for someone else,, being an employee.. that's a choice.. the choice that most people happen to make.

Don't forget that it's a choice.. just like you choose your corolla, your job.. the OP, and guys like myself.. we choose a different life. I don't want to judge you for your life choices.. if I did, I would say that your life is boring and that you live in fear. But if you're happy, then who am I to say?

So who the hell are you to be casting judgment? Don't try and make yourself feel better by dragging someone else down to your level. peace out.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:40 PM

2005 Corolla
Originally Posted by coladin
"If your parents are paying for your car...you are exploiting their hard work for your own personal gain. Nothing irritates me more than people who buy things to make themselves appear better than they are using money that isn't theirs. You didn't earn it, you shouldn't reap the reward."

I don't have a problem with parents paying for cars of their kids. Most parents who have half a brain, and those that are successful tend to have a brain most of the time, are investing in their children. They may be part of the family business, they may be an exemplary student, etc...you sound a little resentful and jealous of others in your comments.

If my child is a loser, I won't be buying him anything. If my children are successful, work hard and are smart with money, then if I am in the position to, I will release. I was lucky enough when I got married that my father gave me a substantial down payment on my home, 12 years ago. When people asked me about the home, I never shied away from the fact that my parents helped me substantially with my purchase, so the point of people misrepresenting their possessions, I am with you. However, it didn't stop people from labelling me a certain way, even though I am a very successful businessman and lawyer in my own right...so it is a tricky slope.
Good post, you brought up a very good point. Helping a son with a house payment is an entirely different subject altogether. My parents paid for my college education, and I'm not afraid to shy away from that either.

However, purchasing a luxury automobile that depreciates faster than Lindsay Lohans bank account for your child who is barely out of college (or in many cases...has just gotten their drivers license) makes about as much sense as lighting the money on fire. Yeah, it's awesome to bring joy to your kids...but half of parenting is to teach them the value of a dollar and pampering them with luxury items that 99% of people will never touch is not the way to go about it.

Originally Posted by Interwebz
Haters gon hate, and people are going to project all their insecurities on you. Every guy who's ball-busting wife won't "let him" get a car he likes, every guy who's not man enough to commit to the financial obligation, every person who's afraid to LIVE and chooses to save for a rainy day that may or may not come... they are all going to try and steal you energy. Don't let them - you cannot put a price on happiness or the sheer joy and pride of driving something you are passionate about.
Sure you can. It's called bankruptcy.

Haters gon hate. You'll never get to the top of that ladder my friend.. and when you do, you'll be too old and too bored with life to even care about cars. The average 26 year old is average - the average PERSON is average. Living a life slaving away for someone else,, being an employee.. that's a choice.. the choice that most people happen to make.

Don't forget that it's a choice.. just like you choose your corolla, your job.. the OP, and guys like myself.. we choose a different life. I don't want to judge you for your life choices.. if I did, I would say that your life is boring and that you live in fear. But if you're happy, then who am I to say?

So who the hell are you to be casting judgment? Don't try and make yourself feel better by dragging someone else down to your level. peace out.
I'm not "hating," I'm simply offering a counterargument. You can't argue with statistics. How many people in this country are up to their eyeballs in credit card debt? Are in danger of losing their homes? Are unemployed?

Life is not an episode of Entourage, and to literally throw money away...especially in this day and age, on an absurdly expensive car is simply stupid. If you can afford it, that's great. I'm sure a lot of people on this site are extremely successful and this is their place to meet and compare toys. But when you are teetering on the edge of financial ruin to drive a ballin car, you need a serious priority re-asssesment.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
It's a disgusting chain reaction:

Parents not instilling good values and hard work in their kids -> child with no drive or motivation to do better (spoiled) -> child doesn't seek a better job or higher education -> drugs, alcohol, bad friends, POOR SPENDING HABITS -> child now adult uses credit cards and financing up the *** to act wealthy and roll phat -> adult irresponsible and buys house and car they can't afford and pumps out babies they can't afford -> forecloses and doesn't pay credit cards and bills -> credit companies and mortgage companies fear lending to new graduates who ARE in fact responsible and pursued a higher education or worked harder late night and weekends to do better and afford luxuries and to buy a house -> irresponsible adult now claims unemployment and welfare -> thus increases taxes in hard working new graduatse trying to make an income and PAYING THROUGH THE NOSE IN TAXES already for being in a certain bracket...etc...
Old 07-21-2010, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 Ultima GTR
Funny thing is these same people spend hundreds of dollars going out to clubs or eating out 20 times a month.
I know people who live pay cheque to pay cheque and spend ALL their money on partying. I'd rather at least have a car to show for it than a nose/lungs/blood full of crap.

Oh, and to Poor Person. Seriously, what kinda low goal is a 50-80k car when you're "up on the corporate ladder"? Man, if I was middle to upper management, I'd be expecting to be ****ting Lambos/Fazzas etc. You guys have got no idea how cheap everything is in the US, I could buy a brand new Gallardo fully loaded for the same price I paid for a C63 here. If by the time you're 30-35 you're JUST affording a C63, when are you going to get your yacht, or mansion, or whatever you want in life? I guess I just set my goals really high, but hey, so far it's worked pretty good.

Last edited by AlexCim; 07-21-2010 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Added more to my reply. Duh
Old 07-21-2010, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
Originally Posted by someuser
So I am telling a few friends of mine that I will be getting the C63 and once I tell them the price they keep saying things like "you're too young", "spend the money somewhere else and you can do miracles"... It sometimes put me down and makes me think twice... But on the other hand, when I look at the pictures of this beautiful beast, there's no other car I want to be in other than that.
I know I won't probably be able to drive it as fast as I like because of the road rules but still, knowing that you will beat almost any car around you is just an ecstatic sensation.

I am 26, and I've saved for this car, so it wrong to buy it? I don't see myself young at all. In fact, I think I'm old! And the way I see it is, if I don't buy it at this age, I'll never will because I'll keep thinking, I need to pay for other expenses and reinvest the money somewhere else...!
I'm 22 - wrote a check in my name for the entire amount when I picked it up. Don't waste any energy on haters. Period.