Sponsored by:

semi-DIY: making auto-folding mirrors operational

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 C63 AMG
semi-DIY: making auto-folding mirrors operational

After receiving the 2010 redesigned 2010 side mirrors w/ folding option and installing per this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...up-inside.html -- I wanted to be able to actually use the folding option so I also obtained the panel for the mirror control that has the button for remote folding (middle button); afaik C63's don't have this option vs. other C-classes:

The install of the switch panel is a PITA b/c it requires removing the entire door panel (not just the smaller plastic corner panel in the door). See here for DIY: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ment-long.html -- but actually, it takes about 15 minutes to do if you've planned accordingly or have done it before.

More pics:

Use 2 or 2.5mm allen wrench on 4 circled Allen screws (make sure you have the wrench before filleting the door!); you can't see the bottom two screws in this pic. Reinsert single harness in the middle into the new switch panel.

Finished product:

Now you have the hardware in but need the software programming to make the folding operational. This is a semi-DIY b/c I gave the following instructions to my dealer (courtesy of MBenzNl):
"the switch requires version coding...the mercedes dealership has to
enter the car with stardiagnose...and as soon as the stardiagnose
enters the car it comes up with several menu choices - they have to
choose the one that mentions retrofits of factory options...that menu
will automatically go online, the tech has to enter his/her login
data, then (s)he has to add optioncode 500 to the car's datacard and
once that is done and stored, (s)he has to flash the central gateway
and instrument cluster with (online) stardiagnose"

Now I really don't know if he followed these instructions b/c he charged me 2 hrs of labor to do it (it's a new dealership)!! The tech's notes:
"Updated the SCN coding in the instrument cluster and central gateway control units. Changed the settings in the left and right front door control units to activate the folding mirros. Changed the setting in the insstrument cluster for folding mirrors to enable."

They told me they had to send some request to MBUSA, get the info from them to change some codes, etc., etc. I really wish this is something regular dudes like us could plug-in and do (maybe it is)... I suspect others may get lucky and get a tech/service dept who've done this before and has the protocol at hand.

You can then enable the mirrors to auto-fold when locking the car via the convenience menu (under settings menu). It's sad that I did all of this just to see how cool it is when the mirrors fold in on their own after I lock the car (and fold out when I open the door).

Now if we could just retrofit push-button start...

Last edited by dockt; 08-06-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
Very nice, thanks dockt. I just need to find that panel, I'll post up the part # when I get it.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
'10 C63
will any part of this mod affect the ecu... especially if you're tuned?
Old 02-21-2012, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 C63
All you need is this panel? All the 2010 c63s have the motor built into the mirrors? So you're telling me the option was just the panel? How much does that panel cost? Please let me know I think I wanna get this done.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63
That's an expensive project for folding mirrors. Really only good for the cool factor coz I dunno when was the last time I ever used them in a tight parking space.

BTW, these are standard spec on Canadian models. Why I don't know coz it's not like we have tighter parking than u guys down south.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:05 AM

'10 C63
Do you have a part number for the control panel? I'm looking to order that as well. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2012, 06:08 PM

'10 C63
anyone have the part number for this? I'd love to get one of these controllers