NOS Octane Booster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c63
NOS Octane Booster

Have anyone used this with C63? Does this really work? Can you feel it?

In one of magazine I read in Japan it said that it made 20hp up just putting this into your car. And makes Octane 4 to 7 point up.

Could this be true?
Old 08-17-2010, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
Higher octane numbers don't necessarily make more power...they allow you to make more power with timing, and reduced detonation worries.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 Seal Gray
I had a 93 octane tune in my Ford GT and the tuner swore by the NOS Racing Formula, saying by adding a bottle to the crappy CA 91 gas would make it safe for the car to run the 93 tune. BTW, car now has larger Whipple supercharger and makes 715HP at the wheels on straight 91 gas.
On my 997TT w/ high flow cats and EVOMS tune, I put in a bottle of the Racing Formula when I take the car to the track as Porsche's ECU has many maps and would retard the timing once it senses detonation so the higher octane the gasoline has, the less detonation, and thus the high power output.
On my track car, the 2008 Viper ACR, I swapped out the factory ECU to a Mopar Racing ECU which was calibrated for 93 octane but would retard the timing back for CA 91 crapsoline. And so this magic poison helps again. I buy them by the case from Summit Racing.
Give this stuff a try and get the car dyno'd first running the lower grade gasoline, then add a bottle of this stuff, go drive around a while to let the ECU adapt to the new gas, then dyno again, then be sure to report back.

Last edited by bli8; 08-18-2010 at 02:26 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBUSA
Just don't use this thinking it's octane booster...it has been done before.
Attached Thumbnails NOS Octane Booster-212316-1_super.jpg  
Old 08-18-2010, 03:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by GHAZAN
Just don't use this thinking it's octane booster...it has been done before.
Either that person is a complete dumb ***, or is an illiterate moron. You see energy drink written on the bottle and someone still put it in they're car??? Who would possibly be dumb enough to do that?

Kinda hard to believe....

Last edited by _AMG_; 08-18-2010 at 03:42 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c63
Guys thanks I will give it shot and try how it will feel.

I want that energy drink but its not selling in Japan yet. If they do I will drink it for sure.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
Originally Posted by _AMG_
Either that person is a complete dumb ***, or is an illiterate moron. You see energy drink written on the bottle and someone still put it in they're car??? Who would possibly be dumb enough to do that?

Kinda hard to believe....
There was a long *** thread about someone who put a bottle in his motorcycle.

Trending Topics

Old 08-18-2010, 07:56 AM

08 MB
Originally Posted by HIRO63
Have anyone used this with C63? Does this really work? Can you feel it?

In one of magazine I read in Japan it said that it made 20hp up just putting this into your car. And makes Octane 4 to 7 point up.

Could this be true?
Each point translates into .1 and not 1.0. If the octane booster adds 7 points you can raise 91 octane to 91.7 for example.

There are many tests done to show octane booster is not the right fix for everyday use as you would spend a ton of money but it does have it's place at a racetrack for limited use.

As "Even Money" mentioned you don't gain power from just raising octane. Higher octane just allows you to utilize all your motors potential if lower octane is causing your motor to pull timing.

Last edited by racetested; 08-18-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Mothballs work also...

In these cars Hiro your tune needs to programmed for the increase in octane or you wont seen any gain. If you have a tune some guys put in a map already for 100 Octane.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
I have used and recommend 104 octane boost, black bottle. I used if for track only events running 10 pounds of boost on a mustang. It was used instead of race gas, aka cheaper. With it, I did not have to run any retarded timing, as mine was adjustable from the cockpit

Also, when you run less timing than optimal, your engine will actually run hotter, which was a GREAT concern of mine on track events, road racing only, NOT drag.

Note: If you car does not need higher octane, there are NO GAINS FROM USING IT

I bold ed the last statement because higher octane burns SLOWER, so if you have no detonation, and run higher octane, you actually will LOOSE some HP.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by RLx02
Old 08-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 GLK 350, 2013 GT-R, & 2013 RAM 1500
I used to mix my own race gas using toluene.

Here is a great read on "boosting" octane -> http://www.w124performance.com/docs/...l/toluene.html
Old 08-18-2010, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by superlubricity

Here is a great read on "boosting" octane -> http://www.w124performance.com/docs/...l/toluene.html
Isn't that the same component in model glue? You know.....the good kind.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:19 PM

2007 E63
Originally Posted by RLx02
Ask and ye shall receive.. 1.8m views...

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthr...ght=NOS+energy
Old 08-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600

+1 on Toluene i mix it with gas to get the desired octane rating
Old 08-18-2010, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab

Back in 89 when I worked at a small refinery, that processed TRANS MIX. The owner told me that toluene is like an aspirin for gasoline. AKA it fixes what ever ales you. I would add one gallon to ten gallons of gas. God how my 11:0 to 1 302 love ited

I used to have a 55 gallon drum in my dads garage. At least until he found out about it
Old 08-20-2010, 01:46 PM

1999 Coupé Fiat 1.8 16v
The only thing where I think about, when I'm thinking of NOS, is the 1st episode of The Fast and the Furious, where the guy gets an enormous boost, and then the car is smoked... not in the good way though...
Old 08-21-2010, 02:14 AM

C63 Seal Gray
Originally Posted by racetested
Each point translates into .1 and not 1.0. If the octane booster adds 7 points you can raise 91 octane to 91.7 for example.

There are many tests done to show octane booster is not the right fix for everyday use as you would spend a ton of money but it does have it's place at a racetrack for limited use.

As "Even Money" mentioned you don't gain power from just raising octane. Higher octane just allows you to utilize all your motors potential if lower octane is causing your motor to pull timing.
It is true that one point is .1 with most other octane boosters, but not the NOS Racing Formula and the NOS Offroad Formula. They do mean 4 to 6 octane point, not basis points. I made sure of that before I started using them regularly. One side effect of using this stuff is having an orange tint on the spark plugs though, but it didn't affect the performance of the car though. Here's a plug I pulled from my Ford GT after maybe one years' worth of using this stuff plus Unocal 100 Octane Unleaded Race Gas.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:47 PM

no more AMG
Your better off just buying 5 or so gallons of race gas and mixing it with the 91 octane. It's more refined then whats coming out of the pump and to be honest I don't trust any additive sold at a store. My favorite is VP Racings Motorsport 109 and it's sold at most performance stores. Plus nothing beats the smell of racing fuel!! Thats like **** for my nose.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by NickZag
Your better off just buying 5 or so gallons of race gas and mixing it with the 91 octane. It's more refined then whats coming out of the pump and to be honest I don't trust any additive sold at a store. My favorite is VP Racings Motorsport 109 and it's sold at most performance stores. Plus nothing beats the smell of racing fuel!! Thats like **** for my nose.
In a word NO you're not. If money means nothing to you sure go ahead. Your engine does not know or care WHERE the octane comes from. So why spend MORE money on the same effect

My crew chief use to work for Gulf research on octane engines, and DOES know the difference, aka NONE.

Oh well, do what you want to I will still use a little boost at $10 over five gallons at $35 bucks any day of the week.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:13 PM

E63
Originally Posted by NickZag
I agree. The main reason to use race gas over octane booster and pump gas is simply that there is no set forumla for pump gas. Station to station, city to city, brand to brand there is no recipie and they all do it differently. Some use additives others don't, some use the same ingredients in different proportions, point being you don't get the same stuff everytime. Race gas on the other hand is always blended the same, you can count on it's formulation and consistancy everytime. Although I know it's the most expensive way, I'm a fan of the 5 gallon drums that can be shipped right to your door via VP directly. You know when you crack that seal and the vapors hit you it's as fresh as can be!
Old 08-21-2010, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Oh well, do what you want to I will still use a little boost at $10 over five gallons at $35 bucks any day of the week.
Are you saying one bottle of NOS will take a tankful of 91 octane to ≈ 94 octane? If so I will buy it by the case...but I don't believe it will even come anywhere near that.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by bhamg
Are you saying one bottle of NOS will take a tankful of 91 octane to ≈ 94 octane? If so I will buy it by the case...but I don't believe it will even come anywhere near that.
YES, but the 104 black bottle. I have NO first hand experience with NOS octane booster so I will NOT give any advice on it. I have used/raced/draged on 104 black, and YES it gave the EXACT same effects as 100 unleaded race gas. Note, my car would run fine on about a 5 gallon 93 and 5 gallon 100 turbo blue mix. One bottle of 104 black yielded the same results. AKA I could run the same amount of ignition timing before spark rattle would occur. My timing was cockpit adjustable thanks to a MSD-6BTM.

Minus the cost of course. And as was stated above, do not be alarmed when your plugs turn orange. This is normal from the additives in it. Just makes for some hard plug reads. But you could STILL see pre ignition if it was occurring.

Guys, try one bottle. It will be the best $8 you ever spent, and will save you big time.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Thanks MR, I will definitely give it a try.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:28 AM

no more AMG
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
In a word NO you're not. If money means nothing to you sure go ahead. Your engine does not know or care WHERE the octane comes from. So why spend MORE money on the same effect

My crew chief use to work for Gulf research on octane engines, and DOES know the difference, aka NONE.

Thanks for the ever so kind reply...

My money does mean something to me and to be honest the only time I ever feel the need to increase the octane is when I take my C63 to the track. Otherwise I see absolutely no point in increasing it. If someone can fill me in as to why they would need to increase the octane on a daily basis then I would like to hear the argument. If you drive like a jackass and constantly pushing your engine to higher RPMs, then perhaps getting an extra couple of octane points would be good. Otherwise, if you want to spend MORE and your money means nothing to you, add a $10-$12 of NOS to every tank of gas.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NOS Octane Booster